Apple iPad is Offical
Mar 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #301 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. I'm in college, and getting one for digitizing notes, and working on papers across campus, as creativity doesn't just strike in the computer lab. Limited applications = no Facebook to distract me. Brilliant, IMO.

NK

Lisnale,
Thanks
I was refering to the above

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #302 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lisnale,
Thanks
I was refering to the above

i did read that but assumed Nick 214 was referring to an actual facebook app, maybe im reading it wrong.

AFAIK the only problem with safrari on the ipad is the lack of flash support.

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #303 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah it was really dumb not to to include this. Whether Apple likes it or not, quicktime is not the standard format. Also, I think it's dumb that windows media phones (and other smart phones) have more functionality than a "tablet"

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #304 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i did read that but assumed Nick 214 was referring to an actual facebook app, maybe im reading it wrong.

Again sorry for the stupid question; but what does flash support offer/do

Thanks

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #306 of 392
I think it is a smart move to stay clear of Flash.
Cause it may eventually get website designers to move away from it. Fingers crossed!

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #307 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cause it may eventually get website designers to move away from it. Fingers crossed!

Since Apple has only 10% of the market, that's not going to happen anytime soon..

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #308 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. I'm in college, and getting one for digitizing notes, and working on papers across campus, as creativity doesn't just strike in the computer lab. Limited applications = no Facebook to distract me. Brilliant, IMO.

NK

A feature-limited, reined-in product is brilliant? I guess I should buy a car that only goes 55 mph so I don't speed. Or become a celebate Catholic priest so I can't have sex with children (er, sorry, I just had to throw that in there.)

If you're getting one for note-taking, I'd seriously check out how well the virtual keyboard works before ordering one online. As the first "accessory" Apple put out was a stand to hold it upright (so you can actually see the screen) and a keyboard (obviously since you can type with the virtual keyboard "like a dream," as Steve Job says) you might want to investigate its usefulness as an input device. I highly suspect this is mainly a web/movie browser and good for typing 20 word twitter messages.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #309 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Open standards are definitively the way to go, so I completely support your argument!

But if Flash continues strong then maybe Apple should do this with its cash: buy Adobe, just to kill Flash for good, just as a service to humanity.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #310 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Strummer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open standards are definitively the way to go, so I completely support your argument!

But if Flash continues strong then maybe Apple should do this with its cash: buy Adobe, just to kill Flash for good, just as a service to humanity.

Uh apple isn't exactly king of open standards. I mean, the only way you can (without hacking) install outside software on this thing (and Iphone) is through the Apple app store. Apple follows an extremely closed model.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #311 of 392
Quote:

i dont think it has a market, execept of course fan boys, who would buy a poo if it had an apple on it!

I have 4 computers at home currently running Windows and I have never owned a Mac. By most reasonable standards, I would not be considered an Apple fanboy. Yet, I will be buying an iPad.

Quote:

A feature-limited, reined-in product is brilliant? I guess I should buy a car that only goes 55 mph so I don't speed.

Well, actually a swiss army knife versus a butcher knife for cutting meat is a better analogy. I do not need tons of extra stuff that I don't need when I really just want something for reading books, email, magazines, video, and surfing the web with this form factor. In other words, I don't need a screwdriver when I just want to cut meat. Also, I already have a swiss army knife (ie laptop/PC) when I need one.

The main drawback for me is the lack of multitasking, but I am hoping a jailbreak fixes this issue. Also, unlike a cell phone which I use for streaming music in the background, I will be mainly using the iPad at home where I have a better system for listening to music.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #312 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A feature-limited, reined-in product is brilliant? I guess I should buy a car that only goes 55 mph so I don't speed. Or become a celebate Catholic priest so I can't have sex with children (er, sorry, I just had to throw that in there.)

zzzzzzzzzzing!
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #313 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, actually a swiss army knife versus a butcher knife for cutting meat is a better analogy. I do not need tons of extra stuff that I don't need when I really just want something for reading books, email, magazines, video, and surfing the web with this form factor. In other words, I don't need a screwdriver when I just want to cut meat. Also, I already have a swiss army knife (ie laptop/PC) when I need one.

The problem though is that we all know this being just a butcher knife is not going to make it cheaper.

Say there are two products, a giant swiss army knife that includes a butcher knife in it, and a plain butcher knife. If all you need is a butcher knife, then okay. Common sense says that it would be the better choice. But if they both cost the same, why get just the butcher knife? Who knows, maybe in the future a screwdriver would come in really handy.

Just look at the specs of this thing. Yes, it's thin. Yes, it has a big ol' multi-touch screen. But the cheapest version costs nearly twice as much as a netbook that, while it doesn't have a multi-touch screen, has a (nearly) full physical keyboard, more disk space, more processing power, just as much battery life, only weighs a pound more, and is not burdened at all by proprietary crap that ensures 1. You'll never be able to use Flash, 2. You have to pay AT&T.

The iPad will do ebook reading better, and if you find the screen appealing it might be worthwhile. Me, though, I'll stick to the old-fashioned tiny laptop. It's not like this thing is going to be small enough to fit in a pocket like the iPhone. So I don't see a need for it to be a little lighter and thinner. I'll stick to the cheaper, heavier swiss army knife. Not a big fan of beef anyway.

Sorry for intruding on the argument. I don't belong.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #314 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem though is that we all know this being just a butcher knife is not going to make it cheaper.

Say there are two products, a giant swiss army knife that includes a butcher knife in it, and a plain butcher knife. If all you need is a butcher knife, then okay. Common sense says that it would be the better choice. But if they both cost the same, why get just the butcher knife? Who knows, maybe in the future a screwdriver would come in really handy.

Just look at the specs of this thing. Yes, it's thin. Yes, it has a big ol' multi-touch screen. But the cheapest version costs nearly twice as much as a netbook that, while it doesn't have a multi-touch screen, has a (nearly) full physical keyboard, more disk space, more processing power, just as much battery life, only weighs a pound more, and is not burdened at all by proprietary crap that ensures 1. You'll never be able to use Flash, 2. You have to pay AT&T.

The iPad will do ebook reading better, and if you find the screen appealing it might be worthwhile. Me, though, I'll stick to the old-fashioned tiny laptop. It's not like this thing is going to be small enough to fit in a pocket like the iPhone. So I don't see a need for it to be a little lighter and thinner. I'll stick to the cheaper, heavier swiss army knife. Not a big fan of beef anyway.

Sorry for intruding on the argument. I don't belong.

Well, who wants a giant swiss army knife? No one.. Why? Because it is a lot of extra clunkiness that people don't want to deal with when they want to cut meat or butter a piece of bread.

Similarly, the netbook has a clunky keyboard that I don't want to deal with when I just want to read a magazine, news article, book, look at a video, look at a photo, jump on the web, etc..

I happen to own a butcher knife and a swiss army knife (normal size). I also own a laptop and I will eventually own an iPad. Different tools with different forms for different jobs.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #315 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, who wants a giant swiss army knife? No one.. Why? Because it is a lot of extra clunkiness that people don't want to deal with when they want to cut meat or butter a piece of bread.

Honestly I think the ipad will be clunkier. There's still probably no good way to type on this thing. And typing is pretty inevitable. It's also majorly overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back