Apple iPad is Offical
Feb 1, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #182 of 392
I find that when I'm using a computer I'm usually just skimming text, very low intensity reading. Have you guys tried programming for 8 hours? Major eye strain because you're reading very intensively and it's harder to read by shape.

I've read 5 or 6 very large books on my psp, which is backlit, but I use it with the brightness as low as possible and grey text on black. In that setting it's not that strenuous on the eyes, but the small screen means that there are just too few words on the screen at one time.

So I got a sony pocket reader, aluminium construction, 5" e-ink screen, and it is just a pleasure to read. It also weighs about the same as the psp, but being a thin rectangular shape it feels lighter in the hand.

The screen is easy on the eyes, looks basically like it's print, and each page appears on a perfectly flat plane. These are the killer features of an e-ink ebook reader. A paper book is a single-purpose item; the e-ink ebook reader is just a better book.

If $500 isn't a big outlay for you then the iPad would be perfect just to leave on the coffee table and use casually, in that way it does seem just like the tablet devices of science fiction!

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #183 of 392
I haven't read all the opinions, just the last couple of pages so I hope I'm not repeating this. The thought I have about the iPad (and I've seen some people put it that way) is that the iPad is to computers what the Wii is to gaming consoles. And when I saw interest in it from my Mom and my Aunt, who are really computer-phobic and completely computer-illiterate, I saw the huge potential this thing has. Personally I will buy it because I'm a developer (so I use that as an excuse to buy devices like this), but I know quite a bit of people that are very interested, and are the kind of people that only use a computer when they have to. All of this really reminds me the Wii, the game console for non-gamers (at least non-hardcore gamers are definitively the reason of its overwhelming success).

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #184 of 392
Well, so far i am sold, it has everything i need, speed, memory, portability. If you think about, it's almost a college students dream. You can listen to your music in between classes, can hold all the files you need, use the web, etc. Imagine using this thing on roadtrips, add a car charger and there goes by the trip in a snitch. The the bad thing is it can also be a college students nightmare, many many distractions!! Well, all i need to do is test it out at the apple store to see if the internet speed is quick for myself. If i still like it, i'm going for the 64gb.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #185 of 392
I asked my daughter to let me borrow her iPod touch today. After about 10 minutes I was going nuts. I HATE touch pads. It's like I have to give every command three times because it doesnt work or I trigger the wrong thing. I think in the long run, a touch screen will just infuriate me.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #186 of 392
My wife also cannot use the iPod touch very well. But she presses at weird angles much like she was using a different technology. Pressing hard doesn't do anything. I think touch screens need to be learned, but if you fight it, it won't work for you. She fights and I laugh as she makes the same mistakes, thinking that you have to destroy the screen like a Korean handphone.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #187 of 392
When did multitasking become a "feature"? I'm not a tech junkie by any means, I only heard about the iPad today (from this thread), but aren't these devices regressing? I've been using pda's, smartphones and umpc's for years now, to take away multitasking (how do you even design a modern-OS without it?) and flash support (a roll of the dice for every new website you visit) is insanity. I'm reading an article now on wired.com, they're defending these decisions by claiming it's necessary for long battery life... what?! Doing less in more time is a good thing?

For me, more choice/freedom is always a positive; I can max out the cpu with 4/5 intensive programs and cut my umpc battery life to two hours, or browse the web (with flash) and listen to music for seven hours. Maybe it's just way over my head, I never understood the iPhone either.

confused.gif

EK

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #188 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked my daughter to let me borrow her iPod touch today. After about 10 minutes I was going nuts. I HATE touch pads. It's like I have to give every command three times because it doesnt work or I trigger the wrong thing. I think in the long run, a touch screen will just infuriate me.

You were using your nails?

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #191 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ipad...thumbs down...no usb...no flash....no OS X.....what were they thinking???

My thoughts exactly. It seems far too closed to provide adequate utility. I'll stick with my $200 netbook thanks :p

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #192 of 392
What I find funny is how Jobs made a big point of making it sound like the iPad could do so many things the a netbook couldn't.

Wrong. It really is just a large iPod Touch. I'm not going to deny that it'll be a cool tech toy when it comes out, but it lacks so many different functions and features that it's hard to justify even the cheapest model. Honestly, their entire angle should have been "look, it's the iPod Touch XL", not a netbook alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back