Apple iPad is Offical
Feb 2, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #211 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seeing the library in my future a lot more in the coming years.

+1. Definitely, I haven't read a good book for some while, used to be a fairly voracious reader (now it's mostly research-related/non-fiction =(). A tablet of some sort may just be the remedy.

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #212 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1. Definitely, I haven't read a good book for some while, used to be a fairly voracious reader (now it's mostly research-related/non-fiction =(). A tablet of some sort may just be the remedy.

My eBook reader re-kindled my love for reading. Since October, I've read 35 books (reading a 36th) ; 8 alone in January. I did try to read from the iPod Touch but it wasn't pleasant. An eInk device is much more natural!

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #213 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My eBook reader re-kindled my love for reading. Since October, I've read 35 books (reading a 36th) ; 8 alone in January. I did try to read from the iPod Touch but it wasn't pleasant. An eInk device is much more natural!

The major points stopping me from getting a Kindle/Nook/etc currently is the lack of color (I subscribe to several magazines) as well as backlight (I do most of my leisure reading after the sun goes down, after school-related activities). Of course, the discussion over battery life is key in both points.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #214 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, tablets should not run full desktop OSes. The amount of processing power necessary to get a seamless experience with a mainstream desktop OS is above what the Atom class of processors is capable of, which is already well above the ARM Cortex class of processors can do. For a full desktop OS with modern technology, a tablet will be too hot and heavy to comfortably hold and will have the same abysmal battery life that has cursed previous generations of tablets.

Only if you're not willing to pay for it. The Fujitsu Lifebook P16xx series has been around for many years as the premier 1kg tabletpc, 6 hours battery life and very little compromise in performance.

EK

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #215 of 392
Quote:

Really, tablets should not run full desktop OSes. The amount of processing power necessary to get a seamless experience with a mainstream desktop OS is above what the Atom class of processors is capable of, which is already well above the ARM Cortex class of processors can do. For a full desktop OS with modern technology, a tablet will be too hot and heavy to comfortably hold and will have the same abysmal battery life that has cursed previous generations of tablets.

I guess you got a point there.
A scaled down version of Mac OS X then, somewhere in between Mac OS X and iPhone OS. Running on i386(_64) and hence support most OS X applications, but with less "bling"

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #216 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you got a point there.
A scaled down version of Mac OS X then, somewhere in between Mac OS X and iPhone OS. Running on i386(_64) and hence support most OS X applications, but with less "bling"

That should be it.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #217 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only if you're not willing to pay for it. The Fujitsu Lifebook P16xx series has been around for many years as the premier 1kg tabletpc, 6 hours battery life and very little compromise in performance.

The Fujitsu has roughly the minimum system requirements to run a desktop operating system at a speed approximating a regular computer and still comes in at about a pound heavier and with half the battery life of the iPad. In a game where ounces matter, a pound is way too much extra weight.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #218 of 392
Quote:

The Fujitsu has roughly the minimum system requirements to run a desktop operating system at a speed approximating a regular computer and still comes in at about a pound heavier and with half the battery life of the iPad. In a game where ounces matter, a pound is way too much extra weight.

Actually it's about 10 ounces, not a pound. (since ounces matter...)

10 ounces is not noticeable in the hand or in a bag, unless you have arms like sticks. Neither device can fit in a pocket, so "way too much" is a little over the top.

If you're carrying this device in a bag, I'm not seeing the advantages of sacrificing the desktop OS, other than price. Although since so many people seem to be incapable of saving to buy things they want, maybe price is enough.

Also, what's with the "coffee table" nonsense? Any electronic device i put on my coffee table becomes a "coffee table device", they don't have to be pre-approved...

mad.gif

EK

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #219 of 392
Quote:

Also, what's with the "coffee table" nonsense? Any electronic device i put on my coffee table becomes a "coffee table device", they don't have to be pre-approved...

mad.gif

EK

The ipad has little legs that fold out of the back so it can actually become a coffee table.

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #220 of 392
ipad = G I A N T ipod

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #222 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I'd choose the ipod touch due to the size, it's less cumbersome for quick tasks and can well, fit in your pocket. Personally, I'd just get a cheap netbook if I had to put something on my non-existent coffee table.

I do not have an ipod touch but it seems more to my taste than the ipad. Size is important, I don't like carrying a phone so the ipod touch may be the max that i could carry around. It does seem pretty functional and may get more so if the ipad pushes even more apps to market.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #224 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ipad = G I A N T ipod

Hooray for giant iPods, it's about time
beerchug.gif
!

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #225 of 392
Quote:

Isn't that the iCoff?

Ha ha, that's funny
biggrin.gif

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer invented a book with fold-out legs that doubled up as a coffee table!

This is funny too...

Quote:

[size=large]Apple does it again [/size]

Apple announced today that it has developed a breast implant that can store
and play music. The [size=small]iTit[/size] will cost from $499 to $699, depending on cup and
speaker size.

This is considered a major social breakthrough, because women are always
complaining about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them..

On the subject of the iPad (iLaugh)... all joking aside, I have a friend whose eyesight isn't the best. She likes my Touch but complains the screen is too small and that zooming in doesn't allow much room for text etc. So this could be an ideal solution for someone like her that likes the Touch, but not the size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back