Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Jun 22, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #316 of 979
Goddamn, these are a gem. A hidden gem for the audiophile community which tends to believe BS like this: https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/11/campfire-andromeda-vs-airpods-pro/

Also hidden for those who buy for noise cancellation or because they are Apple and don't realize how good the sound is because they don't listen to good recordings or don't care.

Anyway, these things sound so amazing that I would be satisfied with them as my only device. Three important points about sound quality. First of all, tonal balance: these things don't have anything significantly out of place. Their mids are a little unusual in that IEMs tend to have elevated 100-200 hz compared to 500-600 hz, whereas these are the opposite. What this does is give a slightly more analytical sound that trades harmonic bloom/decay for tightness and rumble in the bass. Other than that, these follow the Harman curve pretty closely with a slight mid treble roll off.

Second point: Treble smoothness! Amazing, reference quality treble response that kicks the crap out of headphones 10x the price. No weird dips - a bit subdued in the treble, but so is everyone's favorite headphone, the HD 650. I cannot believe people are trashing the treble in these headphones - people who own stuff like LCD-3 and Ultrasone - that either don't have adequate levels or have peaks in the treble.

Third point: No noticeable harmonic distortion so they didn't screw that up either - even with great ANC.

Conclusion: I greatly prefer these over the thin and analytical sound of ER4s, and might even prefer them over the HD600, which lacks bass extension and only offers a certain timbral magic over the APPs.
Andromeda has flaws in tonality. It's really thick in the lower mids and then then the articulated at the treble. This causes a bit of masking. Not saying APP is better technically than Andromeda, but Andromedas isn't perfect, it has it's issues.

I just find the iems people compare it with and state these lacking treble are pretty treble boosted. And the measurements clearly shows the boosted treble. Tonally, these don't do wrong. I found the new XM4 too dark and warm, and the warmth reduces clarity.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #317 of 979
Goddamn, these are a gem. A hidden gem for the audiophile community which tends to believe BS like this: https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/11/campfire-andromeda-vs-airpods-pro/

Also hidden for those who buy for noise cancellation or because they are Apple and don't realize how good the sound is because they don't listen to good recordings or don't care.

Anyway, these things sound so amazing that I would be satisfied with them as my only device. Three important points about sound quality. First of all, tonal balance: these things don't have anything significantly out of place. Their mids are a little unusual in that IEMs tend to have elevated 100-200 hz compared to 500-600 hz, whereas these are the opposite. What this does is give a slightly more analytical sound that trades harmonic bloom/decay for tightness and rumble in the bass. Other than that, these follow the Harman curve pretty closely with a slight mid treble roll off.

Second point: Treble smoothness! Amazing, reference quality treble response that kicks the crap out of headphones 10x the price. No weird dips - a bit subdued in the treble, but so is everyone's favorite headphone, the HD 650. I cannot believe people are trashing the treble in these headphones - people who own stuff like LCD-3 and Ultrasone - that either don't have adequate levels or have peaks in the treble.

Third point: No noticeable harmonic distortion so they didn't screw that up either - even with great ANC.

Conclusion: I greatly prefer these over the thin and analytical sound of ER4s, and might even prefer them over the HD600, which lacks bass extension and only offers a certain timbral magic over the APPs.
Yeah I think apple is just killing the game in sound products design. You could have 9 other TWS sets around and you’ll still grab the airpods because they do everything you want so very well while everything else will have some kind of niggle.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #319 of 979
Having been using all sorts of Bluetooth dongles with various wired IEMS because I "had to have the best sound quality", I'm feeling pretty stupid right now after buying some APP. For my daily commute to work on the Subway, these may just be perfect. Guess I'll have to rip up my "Audiophile" credentials now....:scream::wink:

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #320 of 979
Having been using all sorts of Bluetooth dongles with various wired IEMS because I "had to have the best sound quality", I'm feeling pretty stupid right now after buying some APP. For my daily commute to work on the Subway, these may just be perfect. Guess I'll have to rip up my "Audiophile" credentials now....:scream::wink:
I would not use any other ANC TWS for taking the T. APP does a much better job with ANC than any other TWS. I recall when trying XM3 TWS on the T, I was disappointed with it's performance with train noise. I was surprised how well Apple implemented ANC on a TWS without prior experience.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #324 of 979
I just feel like a veil has been lifted with the spinfits. Could be fantasy though
Realistically, the Airpods are live-EQing the sound inside your ear canal. That entire system was tuned with the apple tips during testing. If it's NOT showing a seal with the apple tips but IS showing a seal with the spinfits, you're gold. If it's not sealing, it's probably broken. I had to send mine back and they fixed them to where they seal again now. I used to be frustrated because apparently mine shipped with a defect, which was causing some of the ones made last year to not seal or lose their seal.

Check the seal in the BT settings area with OG tips first. That's how it was tuned with all that integrated DSP. It should be the best presentation of the sound when it's all working. After I got my fixed pair back, the other tips I was playing with went in the trash.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #325 of 979
Realistically, the Airpods are live-EQing the sound inside your ear canal. That entire system was tuned with the apple tips during testing. If it's NOT showing a seal with the apple tips but IS showing a seal with the spinfits, you're gold. If it's not sealing, it's probably broken. I had to send mine back and they fixed them to where they seal again now. I used to be frustrated because apparently mine shipped with a defect, which was causing some of the ones made last year to not seal or lose their seal.

Check the seal in the BT settings area with OG tips first. That's how it was tuned with all that integrated DSP. It should be the best presentation of the sound when it's all working. After I got my fixed pair back, the other tips I was playing with went in the trash.
The APP are live EQ’d to match Apple’s preferred target up to 1kHz. Actually, this is one of the few times where tip selection won’t matter for the first 1kHz so long as you have a proper seal. Though everything after 1kHz will change based on tip selection.

edit: I think I read your post wrong the first time around.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #326 of 979

It told me I got a good seal with both the Apples and Spinfits. I dunno, I've been spending this afternoon listening to Bowie and Can on the 'fits and it was a good time :)

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #327 of 979
If anyone wants to get these cheap in the UK, Cheapest Electrical sell customer returns. I got a C+ Airpods Pro from them for £100. They’re totally pristine, not a mark, look brand new. Pretty crazy price for this I’d say, as it sounds as good as a lot of £100 wired iems…

Jul 24, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #328 of 979
Strangely my right ear is fine on medium, when it normally struggles. Left medium is too small, whilst large creates a suction feeling. Really thinking about getting a pair of custom tips for these.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #330 of 979
I also have the Sednas and even if they don't pass the tip test, they work for me. They also stay in my ears very well. The only problem is they "melt" or deform over time (like 3-4 months), and then I have to swap them for another set. They're not cheap, so it's going to be a pricey habit.
I've tried a few aftermarket tips and none of them have been able to pass the test. The music still sounds good, so I'm not sure what the practical impact of a yellow test is.
check out the Sedna Crystal. They are the successor to the Xelastic and are more comfortable IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back