Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Apr 17, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #301 of 979
We are unlucky in the UK in that we tend to suffer price wise. Things are quite often the same in £ as in $.

I still like the idea of the apple pro’s though. I would use them at the gym and for phone calls.
Despite having customs I picked up a pair of sony xm3s to use with ipad/iphone and can see the attraction. If the pros get a reasonable discount with the newer models coming out might bite.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #302 of 979
I'm using AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTIC myself. They are stiffer than the stock tips and a bit "sticky". They also come in a ML size which works for me. Everybody's ears are different, so YMMV.
I also have the Sednas and even if they don't pass the tip test, they work for me. They also stay in my ears very well. The only problem is they "melt" or deform over time (like 3-4 months), and then I have to swap them for another set. They're not cheap, so it's going to be a pricey habit.
I've tried a few aftermarket tips and none of them have been able to pass the test. The music still sounds good, so I'm not sure what the practical impact of a yellow test is.

Apr 19, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #304 of 979
Hi guys, I'm just wondering how the airpods pro sounds compared to Tin P1. I'm interested to have buy one of the. I know they are diffrent price range but I'm curious are the airpods pro competes with hifi IEMs specially the P1 compared.

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #308 of 979
Hi guys, I'm just wondering how the airpods pro sounds compared to Tin P1. I'm interested to have buy one of the. I know they are diffrent price range but I'm curious are the airpods pro competes with hifi IEMs specially the P1 compared.
They’re different signatures overall. The APP is actually very close to a DF neutral tuning while the P1 has an overall warm sound signature. It’s a little on the thicker side with very linear bass, warm midrange, and softer treble. It’s a very easy sound signature to listen to. Overall SQ definitely goes to the P1, but they are indeed very different sound signatures.

May 12, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #309 of 979
They’re different signatures overall. The APP is actually very close to a DF neutral tuning while the P1 has an overall warm sound signature. It’s a little on the thicker side with very linear bass, warm midrange, and softer treble. It’s a very easy sound signature to listen to. Overall SQ definitely goes to the P1, but they are indeed very different sound signatures.

I'm a P1 owner but I'm toying with the idea of APPs as well for when I need ANC. Interestingly, Crinacle puts them above the P1 for Tone, Technicality and overall ranking.
The P1s are very good at isolating for me with foam tips but a little off-putting because I can hear my heart beat during quiet music. Anyone able to tell me whether that's the same with the APPs or do their pressure release and internal mics cure that problem?

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #310 of 979
I'm a P1 owner but I'm toying with the idea of APPs as well for when I need ANC. Interestingly, Crinacle puts them above the P1 for Tone, Technicality and overall ranking.
The P1s are very good at isolating for me with foam tips but a little off-putting because I can hear my heart beat during quiet music. Anyone able to tell me whether that's the same with the APPs or do their pressure release and internal mics cure that problem?
Hearing your heart beating would be considered microphonics. This are internal sounds/reflections that happen anyways; sometimes cable noise is also classified into this. The APP has internal facing microphones who's purpose is to: 1) block/cancel microphonics and other internal noises and 2) do the adaptive EQ which EQs up to 1kHz in real-time based on the shape of your ear canal and how the APP move in your ears during use. As for tone, I'd agree with Crinacle, the APP are more linear than the P1, for technicality and overall ranking I'd still give it to the P1 IMO. Although I do prefer the APP's sound signature/tonality over the P1s, I'd still listen to the P1 before I do the APP. But that's me; preferences vary from person to person. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the scores that Crinacle does tends to bias towards his preference in sound and sound signature.

May 12, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #311 of 979
Hearing your heart beating would be considered microphonics. This are internal sounds/reflections that happen anyways; sometimes cable noise is also classified into this. The APP has internal facing microphones who's purpose is to: 1) block/cancel microphonics and other internal noises and 2) do the adaptive EQ which EQs up to 1kHz in real-time based on the shape of your ear canal and how the APP move in your ears during use. As for tone, I'd agree with Crinacle, the APP are more linear than the P1, for technicality and overall ranking I'd still give it to the P1 IMO. Although I do prefer the APP's sound signature/tonality over the P1s, I'd still listen to the P1 before I do the APP. But that's me; preferences vary from person to person. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the scores that Crinacle does tends to bias towards his preference in sound and sound signature.
True. Worth bearing in mind

May 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #312 of 979
True. Worth bearing in mind
Depending on where you are, Apple may allow you to demo the AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max in store. Though COVID may have restricted policy on this. It would allow you to hear it for yourself.

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #313 of 979
I’ve been put off from buying earphones made by Apple since I bought a pair of Apple IEMs 10 years ago and I wasn’t very impressed with the sound quality. However, 10 years later I decided to give the AirPods Pro a try and bought a pair just recently and I am very surprised and happy to say that the AirPods Pro are very nice sounding true wireless IEMs. The sound is very clear with good instrument separation and the bass is very good even though the bass isn’t thumping but the bass sounds fine and just right IMO. I also bought the AirPods Max which sound just as good.

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #314 of 979
Looks like APP is still the right earphone for my usage cases. I compared the ANC performance with the new XM4 TWS, and APP is definitely better. XM4 sound is too dark and thick for my licking as well, very unclear sounding. APP just does a lot of things well to this day. I wish for longer battery life though. I do want more thumping bass, but tonally it doesn't cause any annoyance, so it's good for it's intended purposes.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #315 of 979
Goddamn, these are a gem. A hidden gem for the audiophile community which tends to believe BS like this: https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/11/campfire-andromeda-vs-airpods-pro/

Also hidden for those who buy for noise cancellation or because they are Apple and don't realize how good the sound is because they don't listen to good recordings or don't care.

Anyway, these things sound so amazing that I would be satisfied with them as my only device. Three important points about sound quality. First of all, tonal balance: these things don't have anything significantly out of place. Their mids are a little unusual in that IEMs tend to have elevated 100-200 hz compared to 500-600 hz, whereas these are the opposite. What this does is give a slightly more analytical sound that trades harmonic bloom/decay for tightness and rumble in the bass. Other than that, these follow the Harman curve pretty closely with a slight mid treble roll off.

Second point: Treble smoothness! Amazing, reference quality treble response that kicks the crap out of headphones 10x the price. No weird dips - a bit subdued in the treble, but so is everyone's favorite headphone, the HD 650. I cannot believe people are trashing the treble in these headphones - people who own stuff like LCD-3 and Ultrasone - that either don't have adequate levels or have peaks in the treble.

Third point: No noticeable harmonic distortion so they didn't screw that up either - even with great ANC.

Conclusion: I greatly prefer these over the thin and analytical sound of ER4s, and might even prefer them over the HD600, which lacks bass extension and only offers a certain timbral magic over the APPs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back