Apex Peak/Volcano Review
Sep 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #331 of 415
Quote:
My favourite with the Peak, no contest.  And after running the gambit, the Peak stayed in the end.  Considering the competition through here, that's quite the accomplishment.  I would still love to hear an EC BA but the chances of getting one used are about 0.

About the only thing I would change... shorter power cord.  Do I want to pay Pete $50 for it... still working that one out.

You might get lucky once my Pinnacle arrives...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #332 of 415
Hehe Dubai start running 120V and ship to NA for reasonable money since last I checked? :wink:

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #333 of 415
speaking of the power cable on the peak, Todd mentioned that they used orange sheathing on the cable in order to make it look like "lava" flowing from the volcano to the peak.
subtle humor.  i never picked up on it until he mentioned it...  
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #334 of 415
Hello guys.

I am thinking about pairing my HD800 with Peak/Volcano. Did anyone compare it to Luxman P-1u? I have Luxman P-200 and I like it but want something more. Don't you know, will P/V be better than P-200...

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #335 of 415
I haven't heard the Luxman line but I did run through a ton of amps this summer and the only real competition to the Peak was the Mjolnir.  Very different but the only nearly as good amp.  I'm sitting pretty and though in the end I preferred the LCD-3, the Peak is also the only amp I've heard the HD800 with that I could live with if needed.

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #336 of 415
Quote:
I haven't heard the Luxman line but I did run through a ton of amps this summer and the only real competition to the Peak was the Mjolnir.  Very different but the only nearly as good amp.  I'm sitting pretty and though in the end I preferred the LCD-3, the Peak is also the only amp I've heard the HD800 with that I could live with if needed.

Thank you. I am curious what amps did you compare P/V to (with HD800)?

I am wonder about it's level of detail and size of soundstage.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #337 of 415
Unmatched for detail retrieval but not in the treble tilt hit you over the head with variety.  Soudstage is narrower than some since its more in front than panned hard left right.  But has better depth and height than others.  I've had the HD800 on the Concerto, B22 and Peak.  The Peak was compared to other amps using mostly the LCD-3.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #338 of 415
I'm starting to think AVGuide may have gotten it right in their review where they said the Peak was mid centric.  I've tried several things and the highlights of the Peak stay but the basshead in me still wants the bass guitar and low drums to be more present.  I have a PWD2 coming which is said to be musical, read bottom heavy, so fingers crossed that does it.

If not, any suggestions for basshead, err musical amps?

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #339 of 415
Try the Shuguang or Psvane CV-181 tube. It'll give you the bass you're looking for.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #340 of 415
This quote bothers me...

Sonically the T-series is considered modern refined with more top end extension while the Treasure Z-series were originally developed to after the New Old Stock tube laid-back sound.

Anyone listened to both and able to confirm that its ad press and the tube is unchanged except the base?

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #341 of 415
That's the one I'm referring to above (Psvane 181). I ordered it last week. Should be getting here soon...will compare to the old Shuguang and let you know.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #342 of 415
Looking to be ad press speak.  6moons said this...

The Psvane tube played it denser. It soundstaged deeper, was texturally wetter ('bloomier' or more luscious) and also felt a bit more laid back and settled.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #343 of 415
The bad boy is most bass I can find on the peak. It used to be my one and only despite having some other really good tubes (Mullard cv181, Shuguang BT, TungSol Mouse Ears) for that reason alone. However, over a year later I've found new love for the BT's resolution and neutral sound. Bass response is so tight that I miss the more pronounced bass of the bad boy less and less. My listening is now over 80% BT, and 20% the rest combined.

When I first got the peak I thought I'd end up selling it soon after because I considered myself a basshead and liked my sound dark and colored. Now I don't know how I could ever live without my peak. I wouldn't trade it for anything...except maybe a pinnacle.
Quote:
I'm starting to think AVGuide may have gotten it right in their review where they said the Peak was mid centric.  I've tried several things and the highlights of the Peak stay but the basshead in me still wants the bass guitar and low drums to be more present.  I have a PWD2 coming which is said to be musical, read bottom heavy, so fingers crossed that does it.

If not, any suggestions for basshead, err musical amps?

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #344 of 415
I've used 6 Bad Boy tubes and 3 Shuguang BT's...the latter always had more bass. Both were very defined.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #345 of 415
Going  purely on memory from the since departed Shug TS, I would say the Shug is V like and certainly the fuller of the two.  Syl is cleaner, no question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back