Anything in current production that can match the Xin SuperMicro (size/quality/price)?
Apr 10, 2011 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking about how I'd like to go about creating my ideal portable setup and I've been flip-flopping on the amp part. I wouldn't like to carry around a brick, but I want high performance, so that limits my options somewhat. I'm currently leaning towards the Leckerton UHA-4, but it's quite a bit wider than my iPod or my Thunderbolt so it won't sit well in my pocket. Ideally I'd like to get something like the Xin SuperMicro, which was incredibly tiny. However I don't know of any modern replacements for a SuperMicro that comes close to the size and matches the sound quality for around $200. Anyone got anything for me?

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 28
Anyone? The Leckerton UHA-4 looks nice but I'd like something smaller... help!

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 28
My iBasso T3 is very comparable to my Xin Supermicro and is of a comparable size if volume is considered rather than shape.    Plus you can get a T3 and you can't get a Micro!

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 28
Maybe the Meier Corda XXS/Headsix would be fine? I haven't heard it yet (It's in the mail on the way here) but sizewise it looks very small. Skylab's review of it was also great. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 28
I have an XXS. It's much larger than iBasso T3/T4.
Compared to iBasso D4, it's smaller and to my ears just a little better sounding (with stock D4 opamps), only mids are better on the D4.
I made some pics to compare size againt sansa clip+:
https://picasaweb.google.com/hendrickx.maarten/MeierCordaXXS

It runs for a long time on a 9V battery. It easily outlasts my clip+ 3 times with a 250mAh 9V battery.
Specs say 100 hours but I guess it'll be more like 25 to 40 hours. I should test this though.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 28
For the size, i have heard nothing that comes close to the supermicro. It is an amazing little amplifier, you could almost say jawdropping. I have listened to a few small sized amps from fiio and ibasso, and as good as they all are, none compare to the supermicro.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
For the size, i have heard nothing that comes close to the supermicro. It is an amazing little amplifier, you could almost say jawdropping. I have listened to a few small sized amps from fiio and ibasso, and as good as they all are, none compare to the supermicro.

I'm a little surprised no one's tried to clone the supermicro yet, given that it's impossible to find new and it's been touted as an "incredible" sounding amp, before you even take into account the size. The PCB seems like it's easily accessible.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 28
IMO, nothing comes close to supermicro considering the sound and size. Not even the highly praise RSA Shadow. It near impossible to find any SuperMicro for sales.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 28
So what's so special about the Supermicro that people can't or choose not to replicate?  There's plenty of small, boutique amp makers.  Why don't they replicate it?  

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 28

Quote:
So what's so special about the Supermicro that people can't or choose not to replicate?  There's plenty of small, boutique amp makers.  Why don't they replicate it?  

Every amp maker have their own design philosophy. They wants to be recognize and and be unique in their own way. Also, it unethical to copy others work.

The 1st thing that SMIV strikes me is the very small size. it very portable. 2nd is the sound. The liquid smooth warmth sound with huge soundstage that can rival big amps like SR71. My SR71, SR71a, diablo all came and gone. But SMIV still remains. I have compare it to RSA shadow and Mustang and I still prefer SMIV. Guess that will tell you how much i love my SMIV. If Xin were to start making them again, i will buy a few more to keep.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
Every amp maker have their own design philosophy. They wants to be recognize and and be unique in their own way. Also, it unethical to copy others work.

Show me the patent.  I can buy the first two points but....

First, anything 'ground breaking' would be impossible to keep from being emulated.  Second, how original do you think all the amps in the world are?  They all share more in common than they don't.  How about cars, other electronics, food recipes, etc?  It's not a Van Gogh and doesn't even need to be copied exactly.  Look at Apple and MS.  Where would they be w/o someone else's creativity?  Sorry, but to me taking people's money and not delivering in return slaughters any sacred cow here.       

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
Show me the patent.  I can buy the first two points but....

First, anything 'ground breaking' would be impossible to keep from being emulated.  Second, how original do you think all the amps in the world are?  They all share more in common than they don't.  How about cars, other electronics, food recipes, etc?  It's not a Van Gogh and doesn't even need to be copied exactly.  Look at Apple and MS.  Where would they be w/o someone else's creativity?  Sorry, but to me taking people's money and not delivering in return slaughters any sacred cow here.       

Sorry. you sound hostile to me. I'm not Dr. Xin who took others money. You are asking and I'm just answering from my point of view. It mean to be a healthy discussion on solely SMIV and you are getting OT. No matter how similar things are, there still different. This tiny different is the one that make them stand out. for your point, I can also refer to the news today that Apple is suing Samsung for copying them. And if you don't remember, headstage (then using it old name) was involve in a conflict for copying others design.

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 28
It may not have to be a copy of the design but I'm frankly shocked that in the five or six years since Xin came out with the SuperMicro, no one's been able to come even close to the density of performance/size the micro has (besides maybe Ray Samuels, but he still has a ways to go in the size). I will make a note that I've never heard the SuperMicro but all the reviews I've read about it are raving, and I don't recall reading many negative reviews about it. Maybe amp designers are wary of making an amp that small, since small is usually equated with cheap?

As for the copying argument, there are plenty of chinese amp makers that have no shame copying other designs - the Matrix M-stage/Lovely Cube, Grant Fidelity, HLLY, etc etc. Sure, these are desktop-sized amps, but there's plenty of portable amp makers.

Given the size of the SuperMicro I'm a little bit surprised that you can even fit $100 worth of parts in there, much less $190. I wonder what the parts of the SM actually cost. IMO if someone decides to "copy" the design there's probably a lot of money in it for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back