Anything better than the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro?
May 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

nothing4me

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I like these headphones a lot. Comfy as hell, doesn't really heat up my ears or make them sweat, sounds great, etc. The only thing I don't like (and I mean this in the lightest way possible) about these headphones are the highs. Well, I LOVE them because everything just sounds so detailed... I can hear everything (I think!) but sometimes the really upper ends are too much for my ears. I just EQ the highest bar/slider down a bit (still sounds pretty damn good). I like the bass too because it doesn't seem overwhelming at all. It just seems right (bad way to say it, I know). It's the perfect amount for me I guess.

However, is there anything better...? Or am I at the point where the price doesn't really justify the difference in sound? I'm pretty thirsty for more. I can do both closed and open headphones. I want to stay on the flatter end, but I don't really care as long as it can play all kinds of music with lots of detail. I listen to anything and everything... electronic, acoustic, etc...

I spent $175 on the DT990 Pro's, but I'm willing to go higher. Thank you all!

History of my headphones if it helps in any way:
  • ATH-M50. Loved them but so damn uncomfortable. Driver was touching my ear and I couldn't wear it for more than an hour.
  • MDR-V6. Everything (but anything with vocals/acoustics) sounded dead. But, those vocals (especially females) are some of the best I have ever heard from any headphone in my life. They give me shivers!
  • FA-003. I like them but the pads felt so weird to me.
  • TMA-1. Really nice for electronic/minimal music. Absolutely horrendous for anything else... instruments feel like they are in one place and sounds so unclear/muddy... maybe it's because they're darker headphones? I don't know... >.<
  • DT 990 Pro (250 ohms): Currently what I have.

If it helps, I am using the Voodoo DAC/Amp mod with my Samsung Infuse phone (Wolfson chip) which is more than enough to drive the 250 ohm DT 990 Pro.

May 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 34
There will be technically better headphones out there for sure, but at the end of the day it's all about what sounds fantastic to you or not. You could very well spend $1000 on a Sennheiser HD 800 and it is a technically better headphone but you might not like it as much.

Just to get you started:

Beyer DT 880 (600 ohm)

Beyer DT 990 Premium (600 ohm) MANUFAKTUR custom built

Denon D2000

Sennheiser HD 650

I'm not saying all these are better than the DT 990 Pro nor  am I saying they represent better value for money, but they are technically superior headphones and better respected in this community. But they're also all significantly more expensive. Which is going to happen when you go above the DT 990 Pro as it offers crazy value for money it really hits a sweet spot.

May 16, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:
Okay, I like these headphones a lot. Comfy as hell, doesn't really heat up my ears or make them sweat, sounds great, etc. The only thing I don't like (and I mean this in the lightest way possible) about these headphones are the highs. Well, I LOVE them because everything just sounds so detailed... I can hear everything (I think!) but sometimes the really upper ends are too much for my ears. I just EQ the highest bar/slider down a bit (still sounds pretty damn good). I like the bass too because it doesn't seem overwhelming at all. It just seems right (bad way to say it, I know). It's the perfect amount for me I guess.
However, is there anything better...? Or am I at the point where the price doesn't really justify the difference in sound? I'm pretty thirsty for more. I can do both closed and open headphones. I want to stay on the flatter end, but I don't really care as long as it can play all kinds of music with lots of detail. I listen to anything and everything... electronic, acoustic, etc...
I spent $175 on the DT990 Pro's, but I'm willing to go higher. Thank you all!
History of my headphones if it helps in any way:
  • ATH-M50. Loved them but so damn uncomfortable. Driver was touching my ear and I couldn't wear it for more than an hour.
  • MDR-V6. Everything (but anything with vocals/acoustics) sounded dead. But, those vocals (especially females) are some of the best I have ever heard from any headphone in my life. They give me shivers!
  • FA-003. I like them but the pads felt so weird to me.
  • TMA-1. Really nice for electronic/minimal music. Absolutely horrendous for anything else... instruments feel like they are in one place and sounds so unclear/muddy... maybe it's because they're darker headphones? I don't know... >.<
  • DT 990 Pro (250 ohms): Currently what I have.
If it helps, I am using the Voodoo DAC/Amp mod with my Samsung Infuse phone (Wolfson chip) which is more than enough to drive the 250 ohm DT 990 Pro.

How about getting a nice tube amplifier for the DT990?
What is the Voodoo DAC/Amp mod?

May 16, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:
I can hear everything (I think!) but sometimes the really upper ends are too much for my ears. I just EQ the highest bar/slider down a bit (still sounds pretty damn good).

If the treble on the DT880 Pro is too much for you, then switching to the DT990 Pro is not necessarily a good idea, since it has even more treble. You may want to try the Sennheiser HD600 instead, or even the HD650.

May 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:
How about getting a nice tube amplifier for the DT990?
What is the Voodoo DAC/Amp mod?

Basically, some phones have a Wolfson chip (for DAC) but the stock android rom doesn't take full advantage of it. Sound output is limited due to regulations,etc. So, as long as you have a rooted device, you can remove the limit and increase the intensity of the sound (sort of like amping it) while keeping the quality the same or even better (I know, opinion :p ). You can see the app and the supported devices here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlapp&hl=en

It's great if you have a phone that supports it... It amps my 250 ohm headphones so much, I can make it very very loud without is distorting the sound at all! I have personally never purchased a separate amp/DAC, so I can't really compare it to anything though. :frowning2:

I heard tube amplifiers help with harmonics or something? I don't know too much about them :s

May 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

If the treble on the DT880 Pro is too much for you, then switching to the DT990 Pro is not necessarily a good idea, since it has even more treble. You may want to try the Sennheiser HD600 instead, or even the HD650.

I'm actually using the DT990 Pro right now. I will check out the HD series, thank you. :)

May 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:
Of course there are--the D5000, RS2 and so on.  How much are you willing to spend to get to there?

I was hoping to keep it under $300, but I think I can invest a little more. I will be buying them from Amazon to try them out for 30 days before actually keeping them. Does this sound like a good plan?

May 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:
There will be technically better headphones out there for sure, but at the end of the day it's all about what sounds fantastic to you or not. You could very well spend $1000 on a Sennheiser HD 800 and it is a technically better headphone but you might not like it as much.

Just to get you started:

Beyer DT 880 (600 ohm)

Beyer DT 990 Premium (600 ohm) MANUFAKTUR custom built

Denon D2000

Sennheiser HD 650

I'm not saying all these are better than the DT 990 Pro nor  am I saying they represent better value for money, but they are technically superior headphones and better respected in this community. But they're also all significantly more expensive. Which is going to happen when you go above the DT 990 Pro as it offers crazy value for money it really hits a sweet spot.

I've heard good things about the last two headphones you suggested. I will check them out, thank you!

May 16, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 34
+1 on the Senn HD600/HD650.  I had the DT990's and sold them when I got the HD650's.  They were just a more enjoyable headphone for me to listen to.  Listening is subjective though, I'd say that the Senn's aren't as bassy but have great midrange and less harsh highs.

The Denon D5000 is another option for a closed/semi-open headphone, if you can still find them.

May 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:
+1 on the Senn HD600/HD650.  I had the DT990's and sold them when I got the HD650's.  They were just a more enjoyable headphone for me to listen to.  Listening is subjective though, I'd say that the Senn's aren't as bassy but have great midrange and less harsh highs.

The Denon D5000 is another option for a closed/semi-open headphone, if you can still find them.

Which one (600 or 650) would you suggest? Someone mentioned they're like:

HD 650 - more bass quantity, laidback, treble rolloff, more euphonic and lush
HD 600 - more neutral, faster, more pronounced treble, slightly more upfront

But I am so unsure... :frowning2:

May 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:
Which one (600 or 650) would you suggest? Someone mentioned they're like:

HD 650 - more bass quantity, laidback, treble rolloff, more euphonic and lush
HD 600 - more neutral, faster, more pronounced treble, slightly more upfront

But I am so unsure... :frowning2:

It's a matter of taste and personal economics.  I went with the 600 because the sound signatures were a near wash for me and the 600 was a good deal less money.

May 17, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
I'm actually using the DT990 Pro right now.

Well, I should have read more carefully, the DT880 is also an option then, with similar sound to the 990, but less bass and treble (still more than the Sennheisers, though).

May 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

It's a matter of taste and personal economics.  I went with the 600 because the sound signatures were a near wash for me and the 600 was a good deal less money.

Do you know what they mean by faster and upfront? Also, what about treble rolloff and  more euphonic and lush? :s

May 18, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:
Do you know what they mean by faster and upfront? Also, what about treble rolloff and  more euphonic and lush? :s

im sure someone else can describe these terms better than i do but ill try to help while no one else has answers for you yet, my own understanding of these terms are as follows (please correct me if im wrong)

faster- drier and less resonances? or they are talking about the attack speed?
upfront- more forward?
treble rolloff- high frequency response mutes off after certain point
euphoric- more musical, richer sound?
lush- warm mids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back