Anything better than the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro?
May 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:
Do you know what they mean by faster and upfront? Also, what about treble rolloff and  more euphonic and lush? :s

I'm no expert myself, but this is my understanding:

Faster = a fast pace headphone, for example can handle complex drum&bass, guitar solos and etc with speedier efficiency than a slower headphone. I think it's linked to PRAT (pace,rhythm and timing) but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Up Front = a non laid-back headphone, for example makes it sound like you are up near the front row nearer to the stage rather than at the back up in the rafters which is what a laid back headphone tends to do. 

Treble Rolloff = is where the highs are purposely muted so as to not cause piercing shrills or sibilance. But a trade off of this is that you don't get as much high pitched sounds as you probably should for the scenario.

Euphonic = This is one I'm unsure of, but to me euphonic sounds to be full and musical. Think of euphoria and apply it to headphone audio. Could very well be wrong though.

Lush = Another one I'm unsure of, but lush to me sounds to be again musical but instead of being harsh and heavy it's sweet and formless like water. But again could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

May 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #17 of 34
I will not recommend 600ohm unless you have a very good amp to go with, this is from my experience. :)

May 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 34
I had the DT990 and I don't think you'll get a significant upgrade until you go to the top tier headphones imo, you can get a different sound but not necessarily an upgrade, but I did love the beyers so maybe I'm a bit biased.

May 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:
I had the DT990 and I don't think you'll get a significant upgrade until you go to the top tier headphones imo, you can get a different sound but not necessarily an upgrade, but I did love the beyers so maybe I'm a bit biased.

currently using it for home and dont find much wrong with it, hoping the soundstage can be bigger though

May 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #20 of 34
I'll throw out another vote for trying the 990s with tubes. I use a tube buffer with my T1s and they sound fantastic. I know I've read about others using tube amps with their 880s and 990s. This would probably smooth out the highs a bit.

May 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #21 of 34
Thank you everyone. I was researching some more and I am interested in the denon d2000 and the d5000. I am leaning towards the d5000, does anyone have any experience or recommendations with them? I might find a retailer with a 30 day back guarantee to try them out... Sounds good?

May 19, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
Thank you everyone. I was researching some more and I am interested in the denon d2000 and the d5000. I am leaning towards the d5000, does anyone have any experience or recommendations with them? I might find a retailer with a 30 day back guarantee to try them out... Sounds good?

They are both excellent for their respective prices, but the D5000 is a more balanced can with more forward mids than the D2000.  The D5000 also has a superior sound stage.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

May 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #24 of 34
I just received a used d5000 from B&H and I have to say I am going to return these... They sound nice, but the fact that they are closed (well sealed in this case), really bothers me a lot. I thought I would get over it, but my ears feel so confined, somewhat warm, and weird. I guess I know what kind of headphones I like now. Thank you everyone though!

May 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:
I just received a used d5000 from B&H and I have to say I am going to return these... They sound nice, but the fact that they are closed (well sealed in this case), really bothers me a lot. I thought I would get over it, but my ears feel so confined, somewhat warm, and weird. I guess I know what kind of headphones I like now. Thank you everyone though!

If you don't like the D5000 for the way it fits, you are wise to stay away from over the ear headphones.  For most the D5000 is very comfortable.

May 27, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

If you don't like the D5000 for the way it fits, you are wise to stay away from over the ear headphones.  For most the D5000 is very comfortable.

I liked the fit actually, it was very comfortable. I just didn't like the fact that the sound felt like it was coming from the inside of my head. And it got stuffy (as in heat) after a bit.
Quote:
Totally agree. Also if OP decides to go with HD650 he will loose deep great bass D5000 have

I ordered an HD600, I'll be trying that out. And the bass to be on the D5000 isn't anything specatular. I find the DT990 Pro deeper. I mean it like this, the D5000 presents music to me but the D990 Pro makes me go "wow". But, then again... one is open and one is closed :s
Quote:
If you don't like D5000 get an HE-400 with velour pads.

I am actually going to order the HE-400 or the HE-500 and try them out. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have any experience with the both of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back