anything better than ATH-M50's for the price?
Jun 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

GreenStreak

New Head-Fier
I've read a lot around here and everywhere else I can.  For what i'm willing to spend(under ~$150 with a LITTLE wiggle room), is there anything else that I might consider?  I had a pair of SRH-440's but after listening for a while it would kill my ear, pressure on the top of the lobe.  I listen to stuff like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Evanescence, Three Days Grace, Nickelback, etc.  Source wise they'll just be plugged into my laptop or w/e, I understand they do well without an amp?  Also unfortunately I can not find anywhere remotely local that has them in stock to audition.

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 18
Maybe:

Creative Aurvana Live!/Denon AH-D1001 (I hear they have extreme comfort)
Alessandro MS1

I went for the M50s and they didn't disappoint, but there's a few more options in this range... btw, the M50s clamp a considerable bit until you bend the headband a little, and then they become VERY comfortable.

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 18
Wow Mad Lust, you change your dp pretty often don't you? 
biggrin.gif

Sorry, can't help it...

Anyway OP you might want to have a look at the Grado's/Alessandro's... though this is an M50 owner here too, and I'm really liking it more and more with use!

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 18
I have the Denon D1001s and the M50 is definitely superior in all aspects except comfort. The M50 blocks more noise, but at a cost of being tighter on the head. The D1001 sits very comfortably on the head, but the sound quality it very noticeably different.

My M50s were tight at first, but I just stretched them out for a few days by clamping them over my bookshelf speaker (several hardcover books will work as well) and they fit fine now.

I'm planning on selling my Grado SR-60i because I can't stand the comfort of them (and I got the padded Beyer snap-on headband as well).

Quote:
Maybe:

Creative Aurvana Live!/Denon AH-D1001 (I hear they have extreme comfort)
Alessandro MS1

I went for the M50s and they didn't disappoint, but there's a few more options in this range... btw, the M50s clamp a considerable bit until you bend the headband a little, and then they become VERY comfortable.

You can also take a look at Shure's offering in that price point - I heard the 750DJ and the 840 are good competitors. I would have taken a look at the 840s, but I got my M50's for $70 shipped, which was way below normal costs.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 18
I've heard the Grado SR60i's and SR80i's and wasn't particularly impressed with either...  Are the Alessandro MS1's really that much different?  With the Shure's are the 840's really that much different from the 440's?  Closed can's are a major plus as is a coiled cable, these will be an everywhere phone, from Starbucks to my bedroom.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 18
I *personally* would get the MS-1s, but since you say they're everywhere headphones they might not be that practical.

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 18
Hmm...  Odd, I made the thread and replied twice, now for my 3rd post it says held for moderation since I'm new...   Let's try this again!  @Mr Joboto: Are the MS-1's really that different from the Grado 60i's or 80i's?  

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 18
Supposedly, they have a more balanced sound and tamer highs. I will go against the grain here and say that I did not like them at all. I much preferred my ES7, which I have heard is comparable to the ATH-M50 (I have not tried these headphones). If you didn't like the SR60 or SR80, then I would not count on liking the MS1.

Quote:
Hmm...  Odd, I made the thread and replied twice, now for my 3rd post it says held for moderation since I'm new...   Let's try this again!  @Mr Joboto: Are the MS-1's really that different from the Grado 60i's or 80i's?  

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 18
The ES7s are a good headphone, but don't expect them to be better than the M50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back