Anyone own both the Beyer T1s and the DT-880s ?
Apr 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 95
I'd love to know how much they differ (the 250 ohm , 600 ohm and T1's). I'm thinking of getting some T1's later on but don't know how different they are from my HD650's or the DT880s.

But: I am able to audition them in town
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 95
I don't own either, but after trying out the 880s for the first time I can easily say that they are top of the line audiophiles. The bass is quite amazing, and sound is warm, soft, and smooth...not to mention, very detailed as well; so it's not like the bass eats detail.

I heard about the T1, but isn't like $1k? lol

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 95
I really liked the DT880s (when I owned them) and they were very balanced headphones (though slightly on the bright side of neutral), the T1s are also neutral and would be classified on the warm/lush side of neutral.

The T1s (my current favourite headphone of all time) do EVERYTHING better. Really, the bass is deeper, better controlled and defined, the mids are simply breathtaking (and beat my beloved SE530s) and the treble is pretty sweet (unlike the sometimes sharp sounding treble of the DT880s). The sound stage imaging of the T1s is much better too.

The DT880s are really, really good headphones, but if you can swing the T1s, man what an upgrade!

Here are a few of my thoughts as well on the T1s vs. the HD800s:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd8...usings-472114/

One other thing to consider with the T1s is that they are amazing all rounders (and the best that I`ve tried to date). They are simply breathtaking with classical, acoustic, jazz, rock, hard rock, and metal (sorry I can`t comment on other genres and I really only listen to these).

With regards to head time (of all my full sized cans and IEMs) the T1s have the majority of the time. And finally, they are the best `all rounders` I`ve tried to date. They work amazingly well with classical, acoustic, rock, metal and jazz! Simply the best IMHO!

I`m pretty sure that Skylab still owns his DT880/600s and maybe he can enlighten us with his thoughts.
beyersmile.png

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 95
Thank you sir. Very helpful answer. Looking like the T1s are for me for sure.

Now I just need to find someone to ell my kid to
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really liked the DT880s (when I owned them) and they were very balanced headphones (though slightly on the bright side of neutral), the T1s also neutral would be classified on the warm/lush side of neutral.

The T1s (my current favourite headphone of all time) do EVERYTHING better. Really, the bass is deeper, better controlled and defined, the mids are simply breathtaking (and beat my beloved SE530s) and the treble is pretty sweet (unlike the sometimes sharp sounding treble of the DT880s).

The DT880s are really, really good headphones, but if you can swing the T1s, man what an upgrade.

Here are a few of my thoughts as well on the T1s vs. the HD800s:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd8...usings-472114/

With regards to head time (of all my full sized cans and IEMs) the T1s have the majority of the time. And finally, they are the best `all rounders` I`ve tried to date. They work amazingly well with classical, acoustic, rock, metal and jazz! Simply the best IMHO!

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to know how much they differ (the 250 ohm , 600 ohm and T1's). I'm thinking of getting some T1's later on but don't know how different they are from my HD650's or the DT880s.

But: I am able to audition them in town
smily_headphones1.gif

Seeing that you`re from Ottawa, I imagine you`re referring to Planet of Sound.

They are the authorized Canadian dealer. I would recommend giving them a listen!

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing that you`re from Ottawa, I imagine you`re referring to Planet of Sound.

They are the authorized Canadian dealer. I would recommend giving them a listen!

yeah I think we talked about this before the T1's had come out. I just haven't taken the time to go down there and test them out.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 95
I have not heard of T1 but will definitely do when I can get one at FS. I am also very curious about how much better it can be better than DT880/600. Skylab mentioned "light year" ahead. I'll try to appreciate that in the future.
smile.gif

I can only say that balanced DT880/600 with Phoenix and Ref1 is just amazing: excellent transparency, smoothness, detail, and soundstage. Skylab also mentioned that it is probably due to the excellent synergy between DT880 and Phoenix. I have never experience any brightness or sharp edge with my DT880 using my later gears (I did find it edgy with my earlier gears). I could easily wearing DT880/600 most of my time at office and never experience any fatigue (except the warmth of my ears).

So if T1 is "less bright" than DT880 (relative speaking), that will make the T1+(some dark/neutral amp) maybe too dark. Being wanting to try some other brands, I ended up cancel T1 order and looking for HE-5LE or HD800.

Still, I would be very interested in more comparisons between T1 and DT880 after people have listened them for some good amount of time.
L3000.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard of T1 but will definitely do when I can get one at FS. I am also very curious about how much better it can be better than DT880/600. Skylab mentioned "light year" ahead. I'll try to appreciate that in the future.
smile.gif

I can only say that balanced DT880/600 with Phoenix and Ref1 is just amazing: excellent transparency, smoothness, detail, and soundstage. Skylab also mentioned that it is probably due to the excellent synergy between DT880 and Phoenix. I have never experience any brightness or sharp edge with my DT880 using my later gears (I did find it edgy with my earlier gears). I could easily wearing DT880/600 most of my time at office and never experience any fatigue (except the warmth of my ears).

So if T1 is "less bright" than DT880 (relative speaking), that will make the T1+(some dark/neutral amp) maybe too dark. Being wanting to try some other brands, I ended up cancel T1 order and looking for HE-5LE or HD800.

Still, I would be very interested in more comparisons between T1 and DT880 after people have listened them for some good amount of time.
L3000.gif

I didn`t really find the DT880s too bright, just slightly on the bright side of neutral. I think the DT770/600s are slightly warmer. But the T1s are just slightly on the warm side of neutral. They are nothing like the HD650s in terms of having the potential of sounding dark...at least my experience with them.

You are correct about the comfort, I would rank the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried:

DT770/DT880 (2005 Consumer Premium editions)
HD800
T1
all the rest...

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 95
i think i would be interested as well how they compare from people who have heard or own both, but specifically against the dt880...i dont think we need another hd800 comparison as there already seems to be a thread about that :)

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 95
My T1 should be here by week's end.  Then I definitely plan to a/b them with the DT880/600, God willing.  Now, if only my Bada would come home from the shop.  First a/b will be with the WeeeeeeSquirrel Overhaulin' DV336SE!  : )

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 95

Quote:
My T1 should be here by week's end.  Then I definitely plan to a/b them with the DT880/600, God willing.  Now, if only my Bada would come home from the shop.  First a/b will be with the WeeeeeeSquirrel Overhaulin' DV336SE!  : )

Right out of the box you should notice a big difference, but I would also get about 100 hours on the T1s before making your final assessments. Congrats on what I consider the best dynamic cans out there.

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 95
MacedonianHero,
   Have you tried the T1's with any form of electronic music?  Just curious as to how they would sound.

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 95
I have owned DT880 03, DT880/250, and DT880/600 in the past and currently own T1. Only DT880 that I have directly compared to T1 was DT880/600. I completely agree with what MacedonianHero said earlier in this thread. T1 is "better" headphone regarding speed/detail/soundstage/imaging and so on. I also prefer T1's tone/sound signature. I wouldn't say it is warm sound but it is lusher and fuller compared to DT880/600.

Comparison was done on Apache balanced.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #15 of 95

Quote:
MacedonianHero,
   Have you tried the T1's with any form of electronic music?  Just curious as to how they would sound.

Sorry, I don't have/like electronic music. I don't even know any "artists" names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back