Anyone own both the Beyer T1s and the DT-880s ?
Jun 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #16 of 95
In the past, I've shied away from the "flagship" offerings of Ultrasone and Sennheiser, for example, but Beyerdynamics have always held a privileged place on my list, so I am eager to try the T1.

It looks as if the T1 are more of an organic development from preceding or extant designs than are the HD800, both structurally and sonically, so I am fairly optimistic about the Beyers. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #17 of 95
The DT880/600 sound really quite good with the Fitz-Max Bada PH-12.  Therefore, my expectations for the T1 matched with the Bada are justifiably high.  I think these two will elicit the very best from each other.  

MH,
Thank you for the informative and encouraging words.  When I first auditioned the DT880/600, I was convinced that they would be keepers.  But the T1 may challenge that conviction; a challenge that I will gladly welcome and orchestrate.

PAB

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 95

Quote:
The DT880/600 sound really quite good with the Fitz-Max Bada PH-12.  Therefore, my expectations for the T1 matched with the Bada are justifiably high.  I think these two will elicit the very best from each other.  

MH,
Thank you for the informative and encouraging words.  When I first auditioned the DT880/600, I was convinced that they would be keepers.  But the T1 may challenge that conviction; a challenge that I will gladly welcome and orchestrate.

PAB

I'm pretty sure that the T1s would replace your DT880s. I know Skylab sold his off after the T1s arrived. No reason to go back. I did however keep my DT770/600s as I do want a set of balanced and closed headphones.

Here are some of my thoughts on the T1s as compared to the HD800s:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/472114/hd800-and-t1-musings

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #19 of 95

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the T1s would replace your DT880s. I know Skylab sold his off after the T1s arrived. No reason to go back. I did however keep my DT770/600s as I do want a set of balanced and closed headphones.

Here are some of my thoughts on the T1s as compared to the HD800s:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/472114/hd800-and-t1-musings

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Indeed.  I sold off BOTH the 880/600 and the 990/600. After having the T1 for a few months, if was very clear to me I would never listen to them again, as good as they are - I would only want to listen to the T1.  Like MH, I kept my DT770/600, since they are closed.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #20 of 95

Quote:

Like MH, I kept my DT770/600, since they are closed.

Also like MH you still have the D7000 (according to your sigs. anyway), which are also closed. Listen to different types of music with each? (sorry for the OT).

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #21 of 95

Quote:
Also like MH you still have the D7000 (according to your sigs. anyway), which are also closed. Listen to different types of music with each? (sorry for the OT).

Owning both, I keep the D7000s for my "fun" closed headphone for rock/metal/jazz and the DT770/600s are my balanced closed headphone for jazz/classical.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 95
I have several applications where closed cans are required, so yeah, I still have quite a few nice closed cans. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #23 of 95
The Fitz-Max Bada PH-12 is back up-and-running after a tube shorting incident, and the T1 are scheduled for UPS delivery on Monday.  : )

It looks like I'm headed to Knoxville, TN, for re-employment.  Deo gratias!

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #24 of 95
The T1 have landed.  

Initially, they sound overly bright (and my tastes run on the bright side to begin with).  Cymbals are very well-rendered, though.

Mids are still on the fit-and-trim side, but are significantly detailed and nuanced.

Bass lines are well-articulated and easy to follow, but still a little bulgy and unfocused.

What will break-in bring?

UPDATE:
The morning hours arose on my first audition of the T1.  : )

After less than two hours, the T1 were less strident and much more listenable in the treble registers.  The intricacy of cymbal work, especially, is quite detailed and remarkable.  

Bass goes deep and is also very detailed.  

The mids are clean, clear and open, evoking an airy intimacy with vocals.  The finely resolved tonal hues and dynamic textures really draw the listener in, contributing so much more to the listening experience.  

After a while, I found myself getting lost in the music and becoming less and less deliberate in the way I was listening.  It's like the T1 just take over, and transport you. 

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #25 of 95
It´s quite bright on the Auditor. No roll off in the treble whatsoever. But bright and somewhat bass shy. Maybe I turn the volume up to much my SPL metre is broken :frowning2:. I am getting annoyed how bad the T1 performs on low SPL levels anyway.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #26 of 95
Maybe I am losing my hearing already but T1 sounded very smooth on treble area when I plugged them to my Phonitor. Source was Benchmark DAC1, which wouldn't be regarded as a warm source at all, so I don't know why there are so many different opinions on T1 (especially about its brightness).   

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #27 of 95

Quote:
Maybe I am losing my hearing already but T1 sounded very smooth on treble area when I plugged them to my Phonitor. Source was Benchmark DAC1, which wouldn't be regarded as a warm source at all, so I don't know why there are so many different opinions on T1 (especially about its brightness).   

Agreed. For me the T1s have the best/smoothest treble of all the headphones I've owned to date.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #28 of 95
You guys are making me want to get a pair of T1s.

STOP IT!

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #29 of 95

Quote:
It´s quite bright on the Auditor. No roll off in the treble whatsoever. But bright and somewhat bass shy. Maybe I turn the volume up to much my SPL metre is broken :frowning2:. I am getting annoyed how bad the T1 performs on low SPL levels anyway.

edit: Crap opinion disregard... I changed the XLR adapter and it made all the difference in the world. Sibilance is not that much of an issue and the bass and warmth are back with a vengeance :)

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #30 of 95

Quote:
edit: Crap opinion disregard... I changed the XLR adapter and it made all the difference in the world. Sibilance is not that much of an issue and the bass and warmth are back with a vengeance :)

Glad to hear that 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back