Anyone own both the Beyer T1s and the DT-880s ?
Jun 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #76 of 95

Quote:
The T1 are unquestionably a significant step up from the DT880/600; my present contention is that the T1's performance boost is not directly proportional to their 4x price tag relative to the DT880.

And neither are the HD800s 4x over the HD650s
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #77 of 95
True.  The same rule applies to all "flagship" models and their siblings, I suppose.  $995 just seems like a more equitable price to me, that's all, and in keeping with Beyer's reputation for marketing products with exceptionally affordable price-to-performance ratios.  

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #78 of 95

Quote:
True.  The same rule applies to all "flagship" models and their siblings, I suppose.  $995 just seems like a more equitable price to me, that's all, and in keeping with Beyer's reputation for marketing products with exceptionally affordable price-to-performance ratios.  

I must agree with you, but not by basing this on sound quality. I personally will NEVER spend over a grand on a dynamic headphone, and will be waiting on a sale, or a used pair before I buy my own T1's.

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #79 of 95
I owned the HD800s and have a lot of respect for them, but sold them due to preferring my R10s and O2s at the time.  I'd been very curious about the T1, and although a meet setting is less than ideal, I was able to listen to them on numerous rigs at CanJam, and was able to spend about an hour after hours with them on Pete Millet's Pinnacle and Apex amps and Todd's Meridian source along with the HD800.  Although I think the T1s are very good closed headphones, the HD800s continued to impress (still not enough to want to own them), and the T1s disappoint.  The Monkey and I were basically just sharing and enjoying music (had my CDs), and neither of us really wanted to use the T1s, so switched back and forth to share the 800s.  When it was just about the music, we both wanted to hear it with the 800s.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #80 of 95

Quote:

Ahh..but then you'd have Sennheiser fans saying our headphones are 40% better ($995 vs. $1395)
wink.gif

Which for my opinion they are certainly not (I do own both, but prefer the T1s).

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #82 of 95

Quote:
Great post Peter. LOL Everyone hears differently. My T1 shipped today will have it Thursday and I am looking forward to getting them.

Thanks.

Let us know what you think when they arrive. Just give them at least 50 hours of burn in first before passing judgment. Congrats!

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #84 of 95

Quote:
I must agree with you, but not by basing this on sound quality. I personally will NEVER spend over a grand on a dynamic headphone, and will be waiting on a sale, or a used pair before I buy my own T1's.

LOL I said the same thing and now I did spend the bucks. Never say never in this hobby.

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #87 of 95

Quote:

First off , let me congratulate you on your willingness to tell it like it is, and to not fall victim to the desire for your latest purchase to sound good, to the point that it clouds your judgment.

Although I have not owned ANY of the cans you use in your comparisons, I did listen to both the DT880 600s and T1s at the meet in Boston. I also heard absolutely ZERO sibilance on the T1s when used with the EAR HP4, M^, or Rudistor NX-02 amplifiers .... I truly believe it could possibly be a system synergy issue in your case.

I could easily help with this evaluation. You have a PM sir.

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #88 of 95
Oddly, I am not hearing sibilance with the DT880/600, but am hearing sibilance with the T1.  And my ears are already accustomed to a brighter or hotter treble than most can tolerate on these threads.  (For example, many found the DT880/2003 too bright; I never did.  Ditto for the DT880/600.)

Thank you for the PM.  : ) 

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #90 of 95
Just got my T1. The first thing is I am listening through the Matrix and it is driving them well. I do not notice any sibilance. I am not sure if these were burned in or not as they were open box. So far very natural no harshness I can identify but its way early for a detailed impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back