Anyone ordered the Grace M903
Jan 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #46 of 84
I'm producing electronic music (house/techno). I am looking to do all production/mixing on headphones (sensitive neighbours). What would you recommend as the best amp/headphone combo for this? I was consisdering a Grace M903/Seinn 800 combo..... but you seem to have reservations ....... thoughts? Thanks, R.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #47 of 84

Quote:
I'm producing electronic music (house/techno). I am looking to do all production/mixing on headphones (sensitive neighbours). What would you recommend as the best amp/headphone combo for this? I was consisdering a Grace M903/Seinn 800 combo..... but you seem to have reservations ....... thoughts? Thanks, R.

I have been using my HD 800 with my Grace m902b for three years.

I am now upgrading to the m903 - it's on order and should arrive next week (I hope).

Oh - and I use this for editing and mastering CDs on my DAW (Sequoia) as well as for listening pleasure.

The Grace / HD 800 combination works very well - which is why am doing the upgrade to the m903.
L3000.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #48 of 84
I have been using my HD 800 with my Grace m902b for three years.

I am now upgrading to the m903 - it's on order and should arrive next week (I hope).

Oh - and I use this for editing and mastering CDs on my DAW (Sequoia) as well as for listening pleasure.

The Grace / HD 800 combination works very well - which is why am doing the upgrade to the m903. :L3000:

Please let us know your impression. In particular, I'd like to know if the headphone output of the m903 keeps the mid/vocal-prominent sound signature of the m902, which is excellent for examining vocals. Thanks.

I too use my HD 800 with the Grace m902b, although I have only been using the HD800 for a few months. This combo on vocal is simply irresistible!

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #49 of 84

Quote:
Please let us know your impression. In particular, I'd like to know if the headphone output of the m903 keeps the mid/vocal-prominent sound signature of the m902, which is excellent for examining vocals. Thanks.
I too use my HD 800 with the Grace m902b, although I have only been using the HD800 for a few months. This combo on vocal is simply irresistible!

My m903 has arrived.
biggrin.gif

But I am unlikely to get a real chance to listen properly for a few days.

Everything I have read so far say the 903 is better than the 902 and, at last, has a USB connection that works up to 192kHz sampling - the USB of the 902 was pretty pants in comparison and not really usable for serious listening - this was the main reason they did the 903 and, at the same time, upgraded everything else as well.

May 1, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #53 of 84

Quote:
I would like to see more impressions about m903. Anyone?

There will be a full 2-page professional review in the next (July) issue of Hi-Fi World in the UK.  The reviewer has told me he is giving it a maximum 5* review.

As the June issue is already out, I would expect the July issue to be in the shops at the end of May.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #54 of 84
Crossquote:
I started a separate thread on the Norwegian forum Hifisentralen for "Grace Design m903" on 17 January 2011. It is now part of the forum's new headphone section. I think we've collected most of what we've written regarding Grace Design m903 in the thread even when first published somewhere else, although it steadily keeps being mentioned in replies in other threads as well.

The early adopters have had Grace Design m903 since 3 March 2011 when the first batch arrived in Norway.

Several owners have posted listening and other impressions, user tips etc. using different headphones and also as a DAC. We consider it very good.

We write in Norwegian, but we quote text and link to web pages in other languages. Norwegian is also readable for those that read Danish (very similar) or Swedish. The rest will (probably) have to use Google Translate or something similar. If you visit, feel free to write a reply in Norwegian, Danish, Swedish or English.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #55 of 84
I've wanted to post, but I feel it's wrong because I haven't listened to any other DAC in my system. I will say, however, that I don't regret my purchase :)

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #56 of 84
Grace M903 is now listed as an "A+" class Digital Processor in Stereophile Magazine's Recommended Components.  It is the only A+ unit that also feature a headphone amplifier.

I think Stereophile tested the Grace M902 together with a Shunyata Anaconda AC cord. A great combo.

Paul

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #57 of 84
Hello HotHead,

I can not comment on the exact set up you mentioned, but I have something close to what you are considering.

I am using a Grace m902 (unbalenced) as the DAC/preamp in my living room system with a W4S ST 500 to Zu Omens and find the sound not at all dry or analytical, rather very musical and somewhat suprisingly warm for an all solid state system. The absolutely black background (compared to the tube amp in my library system) and very fast transients are most enjoyable and I lose only some of the liquid smoothness of the tube set up.

I feel the Grace is an excellent and often over looked preamp/DAC in addition to a fine headphone amp for those of us who use primarally digital sources.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #58 of 84
Have an M903 and a pair of HD800s in transit.  Have been using Sennheiser 580s with a CDP/power amp which I enjoy but I am looking forward to moving up to the next level with the new equipment.  Haven't yet experienced the use of either of the aforementioned items.  

Just after I ordered the Grace M903, I noticed that Sennheiser is coming out with two headphone amps/dac - a 600 and 800.  I had considered the Violectric 200 but they've been closed and won't take orders until January 7th and then a two week wait.  My patience is too short.  I also considered the Burson Conductor but Australia is a long way to send off should a problem arise.  Colorado, the 5 year transferable warranty and the Grace reputation won out.

Appreciate all the information freely provided on this forum and look forward to reading more, as I'm not a highly technically educated user. Any recommendations from experienced M903 users is most appreciated.  

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #59 of 84
Quote:
Have an M903 and a pair of HD800s in transit.  Have been using Sennheiser 580s with a CDP/power amp which I enjoy but I am looking forward to moving up to the next level with the new equipment.  Haven't yet experienced the use of either of the aforementioned items.  

Just after I ordered the Grace M903, I noticed that Sennheiser is coming out with two headphone amps/dac - a 600 and 800.  I had considered the Violectric 200 but they've been closed and won't take orders until January 7th and then a two week wait.  My patience is too short.  I also considered the Burson Conductor but Australia is a long way to send off should a problem arise.  Colorado, the 5 year transferable warranty and the Grace reputation won out.

Appreciate all the information freely provided on this forum and look forward to reading more, as I'm not a highly technically educated user. Any recommendations from experienced M903 users is most appreciated.  

I've been using the Grace m903 and HD800 for most of the past year. It's a very good combo, and I think the built in headphone amp does great for a solid state design. The V200 would be a little warmer signature but not appreciably better overall IMO. I did recently acquire a DNA Stratus tube amp which is an a completely different level but is $$$, I still use the m903 as a DAC and preamp for powered speakers. The HD800 are finicky and many will ultimately prefer them with a tube amp, but they certainly sound great as is on the m903.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #60 of 84
I agree, the HD800 sound very good from the m903. There's another step or two beyond, of course -- I'm currently listening to m903 > EC Super 7 > HD800, and it's certainly superior, though not miles above -- but there are always another step or two for those with the money and/or obsessiveness to chase them. I could easily live with just m903 > HD800 if conditions warranted.

At the moment, I am comparing the m903 as standalone DAC with the Schiit Gungnir. The Grace is winning for everything except perceived detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back