Anyone looking for R10's??
Nov 3, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #16 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should k1000 be more considered then since it sounds better than R10 in very very synergized manner?

Are you saying that you have heard a K1000s in your system and come to the conclusion that is a more synergized than a R10? What does synergized mean to you? Or did you just read this in a thread and others have felt the same way? I actually own a K1000s right now with my R10. In what way do you feel that the K1000s sounds better than the R10s. It seems as though you spend a lot of time with both cans side by side with the same source and same amp like I have? BTW, my R10 is of the bass light variety. I'm really trying to understand where you are coming from. If you feel that way that's fine
wink.gif
as we all hear differently, but I would like to hear your impressions on what you discovered.

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #17 of 211
I had a listen to some R10s today, of the same vintage as those in the OP's link. I think my amp was 1/10th to 1/20th the price it needed to be for them to thrill me. The STAX I was listening with, on the other hand...what was I talking about? I am lost in Jeff Buckley's voice....

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 of what Subtle said. It's a shame that you make a blanket statement on something that you probably never heard in a really good setup. I've owned the DX1000 for a good period twice and I had the R10s at the same time. The R10s are by far in another league.

This is all well and fine although the person you responded and quoted to did specify "(Well, R10 might sound better but not good enough for over 6 times price)"
In your opinion do they sound 6 times the better? I think not.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #19 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is all well and fine although the person you responded and quoted to did specify "(Well, R10 might sound better but not good enough for over 6 times price)"
In your opinion do they sound 6 times the better? I think not.

I know Cecala you are a DX1000 fanboy for a long time. Does it sound 6 times better, 10 times better, 100 times better, that is all subjective just like this hobby. It's interesting that you think not, but you have how much experience with an R10..? What I was trying to get at is that it's hard to make a statement like that without even hearing an R10 in a good setup, and owning it for a period of time in that good setup. Are you going to join him as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #21 of 211
Price is disgusting...

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #22 of 211
... I'd hit it if I had the money. Or even an ability to get loan.
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #23 of 211
My attitude towards them is: As my current circumstances limit what gear I can afford to what's in my sig, R10's aren't even worth considering. They did nothing through my current set-up that hadn't already been achieved by my MD5000s when I tested them today. If my circumstances change such that the TTVJ Millet Hybrid is easily affordable to me, then I'd consider the R10s to go with one. But, if I had $10k+ for a set-up like that, I'd have a serious STAX rig already and probably wouldn't care.

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #24 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup they went up. One just sold here for around $6300 and one sold on Ebay a little over a month ago at $6500.

In this economy, I would think some of the first toys to go (after u loose your million dollar home joke!) would be the high end headphones!

Because most guys with this kind of headphone, still have lots of other choices sitting around the house.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #25 of 211
I've heard the R10s twice, and think they are extraordinary, certainly better in most respects than my beloved DX1000s. For me, though, the HP ceiling (top price I'm willing to pay) has become a whole lot lower than my ceiling for speaker-based hifi. 6000.00 buys some kick-ass speakers and indeed a very satisfying whole rig, and this is for me a far better material value.

It seems to me that, as a collectible, the R-10's value has little in common with other in-production or less storied OOP headphones. It's a benchmark, a piece of art, and collectors will a pay premium for that -- try negotiating a knockdown price on a pair of mint Quad ESL57s. I see nothing wrong with charging what the market will bear for such an item.

best,

o

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #26 of 211
I've owned my pair of R10 for a long time, so obviously they didn't cost so much. Were that not the case, even though I quite like them, I don't suspect I'd be willing to buy a pair at these price levels. Same goes for the HE90. Lovely headphones, but still just a pair of headphones. $5k and $6k and above seems to be getting a bit out of hand, although I don't doubt that someone will buy them.

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #27 of 211
Even more amazing that, at the current levels of pricing, that Sony and Sennheiser don't pay better attention. Yes, the quantities are small, but it does indicate a level of demand that _someone_ ought pay attention to, even at half the price.

I have so given up hope on ever owning R-10, ESPECIALLY now that there are NO replacement drivers.

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #28 of 211
It's tempting, and every time a set of R10 come up for sale, I seriously consider it, but at this point, having heard electrostatics and AMTs, I'm really not sure what any dynamic can could do to be worth this much. $3,500-$4,000, sure, but almost $6,000? Sorry, you lost me.

EDIT--Plus what the above poster said... no replacement drivers equals major risk.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #30 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus what the above poster said... no replacement drivers equals major risk.

x3.

The owner is one misstep away from a $6k doorstop. Ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back