Anyone looking for R10's??
Nov 4, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #31 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna buy that pair and use 'em unamped straight from my iPod, just to piss everybody off.

No... Seriously, I must let you know that they don't sound very good straight out of my iPod
ph34r.gif

/offtopic

Two weeks ago, I've had a couple close friends from overseas stay over in my apartment and they used my R10 and the 'rig' for a full weekend. So I told them this and that does xyz. I'm used to joking around and all with them but I can't ever forget one of them said, "This thing's useless... The damn plug won't fit into my iPod OR my laptop"...

Well I lol'd hard. It's true!

Sometimes when you buy these sort of toys you gotta look at reality like the usual: Is it justifiable? Does it fit my needs? I never told him the price I paid for it.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #32 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned my pair of R10 for a long time, so obviously they didn't cost so much. Were that not the case, even though I quite like them, I don't suspect I'd be willing to buy a pair at these price levels. Same goes for the HE90. Lovely headphones, but still just a pair of headphones. $5k and $6k and above seems to be getting a bit out of hand, although I don't doubt that someone will buy them.

The problem, Wayne, is that if you are willing to get it, you will have a few chances of getting it for less, so it is take it or leave it...I wish I had the cash to go for it, I still love it, but unfortunately I will never be able to own one pair...

Now about the other comments the K1000 and the JVC are not in the same league as the R-10, and not even in the league of a lot more cheaper headphones...period...you can rave all you want, the R10 is simply a magic device made by the Japanese Gods...
tongue_smile.gif
...and they do offer a unique performance, that, if it happen to be of your liking, you will not get it from any other till now...of course if you do not like it, the opposite will happen...

Also as a side note, they do sound very good unamped, of course amped they will sound better.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #33 of 211
if you got 6k to spend and *love* classical, then it's definitely something to strongly consider. plus, i don't see the R10 losing much (if any) of its value in the long term.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #34 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem, Wayne, is that if you are willing to get it, you will have a few chances of getting it for less, so it is take it or leave it...I wish I had the cash to go for it, I still love it, but unfortunately I will never be able to own one pair...

Well, I guess my point was that if I didn't already have a pair (purchased at a much more reasonable price), I doubt that I'd buy a pair at today's prices, no matter how much I might love the sound.

It wouldn't necessarily be because I couldn't afford to do so; I just think that at some point, the price gets to a level that isn't justified based on what you're actually getting for those dollars. By not buying at $6k, it would essentially be a quiet protest, or my way of saying that I don't wish to support such rapid inflation.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #35 of 211
How long does a pair of R10's last, assuming great care and light use? This one was produced in 1989, almost 2 decades ago. As buyers, IMO, we should use more conservative assumptions and say that this pair had decent amount of time. The housing (and most things on R10) are organic. Just my $0.02.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #36 of 211
About the King MDR-R10 an oblivious soul stated sacrilegiously Quote:

This thing's useless... The damn plug won't fit into my iPod OR my laptop"...

Quote of the month, if not year!
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #37 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope since DX1000 is here, why would bother for old days headphone that has similar tech-wise spec (Well, R10 might sound better but not good enough for over 6 times price).

Agree with Riceboy here. The DX1000 might looks like a modern day R10 on paper, but they can't compare to the R10 soundwise. If you are a big fan of the DX1000, may I suggest you getting your hand on the L3000 or build a really good balanced set up around the HD-650?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My attitude towards them is: As my current circumstances limit what gear I can afford to what's in my sig, R10's aren't even worth considering. They did nothing through my current set-up that hadn't already been achieved by my MD5000s when I tested them today. If my circumstances change such that the TTVJ Millet Hybrid is easily affordable to me, then I'd consider the R10s to go with one. But, if I had $10k+ for a set-up like that, I'd have a serious STAX rig already and probably wouldn't care.

Yep, I think the R10 is over priced too, but I don't think they are that bad in comparison to the PS-1 (4k) and HE-90 (8 to 10K). My R10+SDS-SE is right there with my Orpheus system for significantly less amount of money. FYI, I bought my R10 for 4.3k two years ago, and I'm glad I did then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's tempting, and every time a set of R10 come up for sale, I seriously consider it, but at this point, having heard electrostatics and AMTs, I'm really not sure what any dynamic can could do to be worth this much. $3,500-$4,000, sure, but almost $6,000? Sorry, you lost me.

EDIT--Plus what the above poster said... no replacement drivers equals major risk.

Yes, I agree with the risk. Luckily I bought a spare drivers for my pair. I agree that the price of the R10 is getting out of hand. I probably will not buy them at the current price. However, my L3000 has not been using much since I landed the R10 2 years ago.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #38 of 211
Purk, I recently heard A LOT of ATH combos like w5000, w2002 and L3000 in the same event and I'm pretty sure how far it can go (Well, there's also apache and bel canto dac 3 around there to give it a try too and not iPod as source for sure).

I'm not really such DX1000 fanboy. To tell you the truth, I'm more associated to k1000 for sonic quality wise. I never heard about R10 by myself but I never say DX1000 sounds as good or better than R10, just 6 times the price and risky to get nearly damaged ones isn't my choice since the system can do more than headphone itself.

If you were to buy a new ones without self-hearing, I would suggest to get ones newer than old legends. Otherwise, it's up to you guys.

P.S. it's quite amusing hearing DX1000 is harder to drive and sounds "less funnier" than L3000 from people I know with actual experiments.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #39 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you got 6k to spend and *love* classical, then it's definitely something to strongly consider. plus, i don't see the R10 losing much (if any) of its value in the long term.

except when the drivers fail... oops.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #40 of 211
The ear pads looks a bid mashed up. Apart from that it looks like a nice pair of R10's.
Looking at the price tag ($5,900) I understand what happens when demand is higher than supply. Quite expensive, but to each their own.

Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #41 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ear pads looks a bid mashed up. Apart from that it looks like a nice pair of R10's.Looking at the price tag ($5,900) I understand what happens when demand is higher than supply. Quite expensive, but to each their own.

Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Those pads are normal for those early pairs of R10s. The pads on my pair are like that and they are very very soft in texture.

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #42 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those pads are normal for those early pairs of R10s. The pads on my pair are like that and they are very very soft in texture.

X2 with Purk. My earpads are like that and they are very, very comfortable. Best of luck to whomever does pick it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #43 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x3 Mine is like that too. If anyone is wondering, both ear pads does 'cave-'in'' a little on the stitched part.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #44 of 211
Quote:

The ear pads looks a bid mashed up.

That was my impression. Even my original pads from 1989 didn't look like that before I replaced them with the then available new pads a couple years ago. What a shame you can't get new pads anymore.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #45 of 211
That is a shame really and probably the main reason I will never get a used r10.
If I buy something at this price I expect it to last or be able to repair / have some kind of warranty in case of trouble.
I don't want to pray and hope that they wont tear or fall apart in a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back