Anyone heard of "Rockchip" DAC chips before?
Mar 6, 2018 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DatGameh

Head-Fier
During my research for a new DAP to replace my 8-year-old walkman, I found the xDuoo Nano D3 as one of my potential future devices.

*cough* if you know any affordable DAPs that are around under $60, please tell me*cough*

Before I determine whether or not a certain product is viable for my requirements, I research the audio chips used, such as the DAC, AMP and similar parts. Then I found out that the device uses a Rockchip RKNanoD-L chip (it's also worth noting that the device is named after it's processor for some reason).

The RKNanoD series is a chip designed for high-fidelty audio devices. It has two cores, one for general processing and the other for audio processing.
I've never heard this kind of combination before. A CPU and iDAC?
https://www.cnx-software.com/2015/0...cortex-m3-soc-for-iot-and-audio-applications/

Anyway, this made me curious: does anyone know any good DAPs or DACs with Rockchip chips?
If anyone also knows how Rockchip contends with Cirrus Logic, it would help, too.

Mar 6, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 7
Oh, hello again.
Wait, what!? Really? That's (nearly) exactly the same Sony model I have.
Oh well, there goes the point of getting the D3 ~_~
The one with the metal case?
Sony switched to rknanod for the latest E series models, the previous ones were different.

Anyway I don't think I've seen measurements for this chip before. It's your typical DAC built into a SoC, expect something similar to those ATJ chips.

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 7
The one with the metal case?
Sony switched to rknanod for the latest E series models, the previous ones were different.

Anyway I don't think I've seen measurements for this chip before. It's your typical DAC built into a SoC, expect something similar to those ATJ chips.

From that perspective, how do you think this'll do against a cheaper dedicated DAC? Such as the Fiio m3's Cirrus Logic.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 7
From that perspective, how do you think this'll do against a cheaper dedicated DAC? Such as the Fiio m3's Cirrus Logic.
Didn't know the m3 had a external DAC
I'd say CS is better, but only based on the brandname and product range. Unless someone measure them we can't know for sure.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 7
Didn't know the m3 had a external DAC
I'd say CS is better, but only based on the brandname and product range. Unless someone measure them we can't know for sure.
I see. Well, in many cases, brand name is usually a guarantee, so I'd take that claim as pretty accurate. Anyway, thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back