Anyone have ever thoughts like this?
Jun 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Impulsive

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys.
I cant get rid of these thoughts that just attacked my mind.
Last week i finally got my first better headphones or how to call it, headphones, DT 880 / 600 (owned before DT 770 Pro 80 and HD 555)
as days are passing, i am loving their sound more and more (getting used to it and discovering it)
Just today, i ordered another phones, Grados SR-60i for my sister's birthdays.
I choosed them because she likes their design, and from what i read here on headfi, they are good headphones for that price.
Also she does not like full-size phones, so these grados were choosed.
Now thoughts started to haunt my mind.
What if these grados will sound better than my beyers? (i love my beyers)
What if i start to like their sound better?
What if DT 880 will become number two?
I really love my DT 880, currently enjoying them without amp because i am still collecting money for LD MK IV SE.
I can't imagine how they will sound with this amp.
I will probably shoot myself if these grados will sound better (not accurate and balanced, just if i will like them more)
I started thinking i wont ever touch these Grados (bah, forbidden fruit is the best..)

Have you ever came to thoughts like this?
Any sensible words that can explain / help, anything else?....

Regards,
Imp

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 10
dt880/600ohm, without amp? ==a ..I'd expect the grados to sound better actually
Anyway, just go with what sounds good to you..

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
What if these grados will sound better than my beyers? (i love my beyers)

They may. But why are you worried? Is it you don't want your sister's cheaper headphones to be "superior" to yours, or are you worried that you wasted all that money on the DT880 when you like the cheaper SR60i's better? Either way, that has happened to me plenty of times. If there is just one lesson I learned from Head-Fi and all my headphones is, "I don't know if I'll like the sound until I hear it, regardless of price, capabilities, or reviews." Meaning, I've found plenty of hidden gems that cost hundreds less than "better" headphones that I like a ton more. It's all about the presentation.

Quote:
I will probably shoot myself if these grados will sound better (not accurate and balanced, just if i will like them more)
I started thinking i wont ever touch these Grados (bah, forbidden fruit is the best..)

Again, why? Of course you should try them out. By the rules of your thinking, if you DONT like them as much, your mind will rest in peace convinced that you DONT like them better. But, if you DO like them better, then it's like a whole episode of betrayal, regret, and remorse. But don't let it be that way. If you do like them better, then you do. Then you are pointed in the right direction and you don't have to waste money on headphones that won't suit you. You could probably also bag that amp as well and go higher up the Grado line. Besides, if you do indeed like them better, imagine how you'd feel if you never tried them due to being scared. Then comes 5 years later, you try a friends pair, and love it a tone more than your DT880. You will be wishing you tried them when you had the chance, so you can enjoy them THAT much more and THAT much longer. You'll be shooting yourself then for sure...

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks Karun.
Seems like you understand me.
I am just worried, that what if i wasted lots of money on DT 880...
By the time Grados arrive, i wont be able to return them.

All is exactly as you said, i cant say i like their sound until i hear them. Regardless of reviews, graphs, etc. etc.
I wont have any problem liking cheaper headphones, it's not about price of headphones that i am wearing on my head.
Just never had any other better headphones, and now two totally different pairs will be at home.
Let's see it, when it arrive.
Thanks for your time and understanding.

Jun 12, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 10
sure i can.
Bit always cheaper than i paid for them.
And as college student, loosing money while changing headphones hurts a lot for me.
But i have decided.
I will wait till these Grados to arrive, then give a try (they should arrive within a week, max two. My emu 0204 was purchased before 9 days and still no tracking change on USPS (i choosed USPS Priority but it is hell slow...and 40 USD..damn it. Slow, expensive shipping.))
Then i will see how much difference makes that e-mu. Actual source is on-board soundcard, so nothing extra.
Thanks for now.
I have a bit frustrating moment yesterday, thats why i wrote it.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 10
I always have this thought when something new comes out, but glad that none are really that impressive in my book. Unless you have personally heard them, it is hard to say if anything is better out the for less money. 1 great thing about Head-Fi, is if you buy used you can always sell with minimal loss if you don't like it, and it is even better if you are willing to trade.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 10
Some time ago, there was a small wine maker near me who made wine that perfectly fit my tastes. No matter what he made -- jug wine, fine wine, strawberry wine -- it all tasted good. The wine maker's tastes were almost identical to mine. I'm getting the sense the headphones are similar, at least once you get into the higher-quality designs. If you find you like the Grado sound better, you'll have  a clue about going in a new direction to find phones better suited to your taste. That's a good thing.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 10
yeah thanks. that's nicely said.
I realized, once i want to figure out what fits me, some sacrifice have to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back