anyone have ath-es55?
Feb 16, 2009 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

joshi3joshi

New Head-Fier
ive been posting all over this forum to see if anyone has the es55? Im wondering how it compares to the es7?

I currently have the ath-fc700 and im looking for a smaller headphone...does anyone know how the size of the es55 compares to the fc700?

also im debating between the es7 and the es55, but i know there isnt lots of information on the es55....im mainly concerned about the size.

so my questions are

1. how do the es7 look on a head (pics please)
2. how do they compare to fc700 size
3. how is the sound of es55 compared to es7?

the thing is im not sure whether i should go with big/goofy looking but spectacular sounding es7 thats really shiny or a normal sounding but smaller es55

if anyone could answer these question, it will help me A LOT!! Thanks!

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 14
thanks for the link, ive actually looked at almost all es-7 threads, and have taken a look at the headband mod.

the problem with pictures is it looks great, but its hard to estimate how they look on an actually head....if someone with es-7 could post a couple pictures of how they look with them on (maybe a head view, and a side view) just so i can see how it looks and what the size of the cups are, it would do wonders for me!

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 14
I don't own either the FC700, ES55, or the ES7, but I have auditioned all of them and done some side-by-side comparisons, back when I was in the market for some Audio Technicas (I was originally looking at the ES55, but eventually tried out the ESW9 and couldn't settle for less). As far as I can remember, the sound quality of the FC700 was by far the worst of the three, with the ES& the best by (I thought) a fair margin. The ES7 is about the same size as the FC700, with the ES55 a bit smaller.

If you're definitely looking for a smaller phone and are willing to take a hit in sound quality I wouldn't hesitate recommending the ES55. The other visual difference is that they have a matte finish, whereas the ES7 is shiny and more prone to fingerprints, etc. However, if you want the better sound(out the these two) I would say that you should definitely go with the ES7. I'm sorry I can't comment more on the specifics of the sound quality, but it was awhile ago and I can only remember my gut reactions when comparing them.

The only other real benefit to the ES55s that I can think of is that not many people on head-fi (if any) have them, and that I'm sure that everyone would like a review.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 14
great!! thank you so much for the reply avocado. just a couple more questions since you are one of the few people who have had experience with the es55.

is the size difference between the es55 and the es7/fc700 a pretty big difference or very minimal? I currently have the fc700 and honestly they look kind of goofy and too big on my head. im not sure if the es7 will make it look any better, but i imagine they would look about the same as the fc700.

I can get the es55 for about 140 and the es7 for about 100, and i think i can sacrifice some sound quality for a smaller size. i just need to make sure that the size difference is big enough to justify the sound quality downgrade. do you remember from your initial impressions how the es55 compared to the es7 or fc700? like is the difference in sound quality between es55 worlds apart or somewhat comparable?

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm sorry, but I honestly don't remember exactly how much smaller the ES55 was in relation to the other two, although I do recall it being quite noticeable on my ear (the es7 'hugged' my ear, whereas the es55 sat on top of it more). As I'm looking at pictures on the internet, it seems that the es7 may actually be bigger than the fc700 which, I'm guessing, would be a bad thing. In terms of quality, I know that the es7 was definitely better, but I was still willing to buy es55s instead because of the price difference, so it's not a huge huge jump (but noticeable). It just depends on what's more important to you.

If you want, I can go to Bic Camera tomorrow and just give them a quick re-test on my way back home. It's on my way, and I'm always looking for excuses to listen to some nice phones. I'm not an audio expert by any means, but I have a good ear (or two) and it would be better than nothing for you.

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 14
avocado-thanks a bunch, it would be awesome if could you retest the sizes/quality again? (if possible snap a few shots) I just want to know how big the sound quality difference is between the es55 and how big the size difference is. you are probably more of an audio expert than I am, so any impressions are extremely helpful. If the cup size difference is noticeable to you, i think ill go with the es55. Es-7 might be a bit too big for my liking. the only bad part is that ill have to pay about 40 dollars more for the es55 since i livei n america, and lots of stores don't carry the es55.
i just want to make sure I know exactly what im getting since its a pretty expensive product and I don't want to buy something without having soemone tested it first.

lukk-thanks a lot! your picture helped greatly

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 14
Okay, just got back. As I remembered, no matter which phone you're going to get it will be an upgrade over the fc700. In terms of quality..the es7 definitely had the upper hand (a much fuller sound, etc) compared the es55. But if I was just listening to the es55 (instead of comparing them) I wouldn't have thought that anything was particularly wrong with them.

I did compare the sizes, however, and the es7 is a good deal larger than the 55s (at least a centimeter in diameter), which might be the deal breaker for you. In all honesty, if having a smaller phone is what you're looking for, then they're going to be good for you and the trade-off in sound quality is more than worth it.

Also, you should be able to get them for 120USD off of audiocubes, I don't know where you were getting 140 from..

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by avocado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, just got back. As I remembered, no matter which phone you're going to get it will be an upgrade over the fc700. In terms of quality..the es7 definitely had the upper hand (a much fuller sound, etc) compared the es55. But if I was just listening to the es55 (instead of comparing them) I wouldn't have thought that anything was particularly wrong with them.

I did compare the sizes, however, and the es7 is a good deal larger than the 55s (at least a centimeter in diameter), which might be the deal breaker for you. In all honesty, if having a smaller phone is what you're looking for, then they're going to be good for you and the trade-off in sound quality is more than worth it.

Also, you should be able to get them for 120USD off of audiocubes, I don't know where you were getting 140 from..

Thank you so much!
biggrin.gif
this helped me with my decision a lot. im def. going to go with the es55 now. oh, and i was getting 140 on audiocubes because i added the shipping cost to it (129.99 USD + 10.99 ship). the place (buy.com if anyone wants to know) where i could have gotten es7 had free shipping and was $98.

last question...were the phones you tried at bic camera black or white/silver? what color would you personally go for if you were buying these phones?
thanks again!

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 14
I know you posted this Q a wee while ago, but thought i'd chip in, as I found myself looking at the ES55 recently too.

I got mine for £80 from Tottenham Court Road (the store opposite Sainsburys). They had a RRP of £99.99 but you can haggle as long as you can show a lower priced offering elsewhere.

I had the ES7 before so I was interested in finding out what a similar looking but smaller more portable version of the ES7 would sound like.  
I burned them in for 48hrs before giving them a first listen and first impressions were that the general overall sound was good but just not as punchy as the ES7 nor did the soundstage sound as wide.  However, as the ES7 is at a different price point, it isn't really a fair comparison.

For £80 headphones, I would say the ES55 are one of the best in that price bracket.  This is essentially a mini version of the ES7 in terms of size of the headphone AND sound.  The clarity of the ES7 is present and the vocals still sound lush but it lacks the oomph in the bass department and the mids aren't as defined.  

Build quality - Very well built, like the ES7 and the matte finish on the cups are awesome.  Headband is comfy and small but sturdy.  They're foldable like the ES7 and come with a pleather carry bag.  Like the ES7, they poke out a little when worn - and you can'd headband mod these I think, unlike the ES7.

I chose the ES55 for it's size but ended up selling them and buying back the ES7 (which I sold a while ago) purely because I found myself using them mostly at home, so size and goofiness of wearing them on your head was not really an issue.  End of the day, if you're after a portable, well constructed nice sounding can in the sub £100 price range and you HAVEN'T heard the ES7 before, I would whole heartedly recommend the ES55 without a shadow of a doubt.  If you want better sound quality and you can stretch to spend about £40 more, the ES7 will not disappoint.

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #13 of 14
Hi,

I was tempted to reply to this post as I have recently (also) picked up ath-es55.

This entire portable audiophiliamania has got me real good. And that has put me into getting these ... as well.

I have Shure-SRH440 to compare them against. The Shures are capable of pumping out a bit more punchier bass than these, I think. I played a Bass Mechanic track via iPad+Fiio-E7 thru the Shures and ATs.

That said, I am not into Bass at all and most of my music collection currently is Joe Satriani and some Steve Vai (320kbps mp3), played via HTC Desire HD with Dolby turned on and EQ set to promote the mid tones slightly. The ATs sound as good as Shures but w/o all the extra bulk of the cans. I must these are darn good as portables and for the mid tones, with slight EQ and the setup as above ... I imagine I will be pretty happy for some time to come.

These are pretty good I must say.

Cheers,
--
FP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back