Anyone gone back to using Dynamics from STAX?
Sep 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #76 of 110
yes ,I still use my ortho and my dynamic headphones,after I owned the O2MKI and Sr507.
You can't find for example the LCD2 bass in any stax headphones.
I think top tier headphones have thier strengths ,why should we own just the Staxes ?  

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #77 of 110
I did sell my SRS-2170 since I didn't find it to my liking. I missed dynamic slam a lot! Also it wasn't as good resolving as I thought it were. And what really killed it for me was it lack of comfort on my head. The pads did press a lot on my skull behind my ears.

Now I own a Sony MDR-SA5000 as my primary can and I'm completely happy. It's as fast and detailed as the STAX and has that slam I missed.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #79 of 110
I heard the vitage Lambda pros and ESP950... Makes me want to forgo everything for Stax and a DIY amp . Probably Cavali ExStat..

What are some pretty good STAX setups for the money? (Apologies)

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #81 of 110
The greatest value in Stax has to be the DIY amps.

As with anything DIY, you get more for your money, but I never said it was cheap =P. I'd be surprised if you couldn't throw together a cheap and cheerful KGSSHV for about the same money as a brand new SRM-323S.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #82 of 110
The greatest value in Stax has to be the DIY amps.

As with anything DIY, you get more for your money, but I never said it was cheap =P. I'd be surprised if you couldn't throw together a cheap and cheerful KGSSHV for about the same money as a brand new SRM-323S.

Wow... Where can I learn? I'll get right on that!

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #87 of 110

Quote:

The other site has everything you need to know, and more.

If you know which end of a soldering iron to hold, and have some respect for high voltage, then you should already have the knowledge required to build a KGSSHV.
tongue.gif

Thanks for the heads up! I'll see you guys there.

Quote:
Get in on the action Joe, it's a lot of fun :)

Sounds like it is and learning something too in the process, but getting shocked isn't. =/

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #88 of 110

Quote:

When talking accessability of getting into stats, I don't look at BHSE/KGSS or any of the other pricey amps as it is rare to find somebody who goes from nothing to jumping all in like that.  I am talking transformers/used market vintage amps/current production lower end amps/DIY.  You can get a SRD5 or 6 for $20-50 (about the cost of a cmoy), SRM1 goes for between $150-450 depending on version and market, SRD7 for $150-250 for the pro bias version, and there are a number of current or last gen amps that can be had for a couple hundred dollars, etc.  

I never said the transformer boxes were the end all be all solution but they do get the job done for their price range.  It's another option.  I'm not even a big transformer solution proponent but they certainly have their fans.  I also wouldn't call the SRM1mk2 "measly" as it is quite a good amp and popular in the used market for good reason.  It's also about double the price of a pro bias SRD7 so I'm not sure why you bring up the comparison.  I don't think you're taking into account the fact there are a limited number of Stax headphones...do you expect them to make a hundred different amps for a dozen HPs?

As for prospering, I guess it depends on your definition.  They are definitely a niche within a niche, but it seems like they are doing pretty well.  Speaker guys know of Stax as the high end headphones, the company has been around for decades (to be fair they did go bankrupt at one point), and they're definitely not some garage based company so I'm not sure where you're coming from.

The point is if you have to resort to a transformer driving a speaker amp to drive an Electrostatic then you might as well get something else. Seriously, with the rate the orthodynamic and balanced armature drivers are evolving for the past 2 years if you are not prepared to spend a good chunk of your fortune to maximize your Stax setup then there is a possibility that a combination of "lower-end" top-tier orthodynamic and a dynamic amp  to outperform it. 

As for your second paragraph, I'm afraid you misunderstood what I meant. I actually agree with you that the SRM-1/MK2 is a neat little energizer but isn't it pretty low-tier compared to the other Stax energizers such as the SRM-600, 323 etc.? That was all I meant. And for your comparison with the SRD-7, I don't think it's really fair because you do have to consider the additional price of a speaker amp. Sure you can probably get a Tripath or something cheap like that but that brings us back to my first point. 

And lastly, I definitely didn't imply that they are a garage company but we do have to agree that their brand is probably not as well known as Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic. I guess that was I meant with prospering. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #89 of 110

Quote:
I sometimes use my Stax on the weekend.

The rest of the time I usually use one of my Koss KSC75... although for the last week or so I've just used my Grado HF2s plugged into my PC. I've only got the music in the background as a distraction while I'm on the computer so I dont mind.

I also use my Stax set on some weekends when my GF is out of the house and there is no ambiant noise. :wink:
For all other occasions I own the DT 990 Pro and the K240DF.
In my case, I wouldn't step "back" to dynamics, if all was in detailed sound reproduction.
Due to other parameters like robustness, amping, cablework (let's say comfort), I use the dynamic HPs more often than the electrostatic ones. You must have the condition to get all the details a electrostatic can provide you with. The dynamic ones are very good as awell but don't reach the SR Lambda Pro (for my taste).

Nuggets

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #90 of 110

Quote:
I also use my Stax set on some weekends when my GF is out of the house and there is no ambiant noise. :wink:
For all other occasions I own the DT 990 Pro and the K240DF.
In my case, I wouldn't step "back" to dynamics, if all was in detailed sound reproduction.
Due to other parameters like robustness, amping, cablework (let's say comfort), I use the dynamic HPs more often than the electrostatic ones. You must have the condition to get all the details a electrostatic can provide you with. The dynamic ones are very good as awell but don't reach the SR Lambda Pro (for my taste).

Nuggets

Have you heard the HD800?  Only dynamic I find on par w/ the 009 for resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back