Anyone gone back to using Dynamics from STAX?
Sep 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #46 of 110

Quote:
Energizers rule!
Gimme a beefy supercharged KGSSHV over a buzzy lil transformer box any old day.

Dammit Jim!  

You're killing me man.....

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #47 of 110

Quote:
I have to offer a different point of view on the ESLs.

1. Detail; yes.
  2. Transparency; yes.
  3. Bass; tight, but severely lacking extension.
  4. Soundstage; only if you're within the very small sweet-spot. They're the most directional speaker I've ever heard; if you move your head a few inches off axis the soundstage collapses.

I find the ESLs to be very "hi-fi" sounding rather than delivering music. I'm not a fan -  I wouldn't pay $200 for a pair, never mind $2000, and that holds from when they were still being made.

But that is what makes this hobby so fascinating; we all hear things differently. I've yet to listen to the O2s (it would be dangerous, and therefore potentially very expensive), but I'd take my Stax Lambdas over ESLs any time.

You mean to say the Quad ESL-57...you know, the things that look like old space heaters...I THINK we are talking about the same thing...are "HI-FI" SOUNDING???
blink.gif

Wow, it seems to me that's the last thing they are. They are surely not perfect, but their problems are sins of omission, for the most part. What's left is just good ol' blue eyed natural.

Big speakers with 20 hz bass, deafening dynamics and a gigantic soundstage like you have the full London Philharmonic squeezed into your living room? $20,000 plus. The natural midrange of the Quads? Priceless.

Kevin

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #48 of 110
That's another reason to seek out a local headphone meet that has some Stax equipment: to try out these same Lambdas from a proper electrostatic amplifier. Only thing that might concern me is the possible lack of normal bias units; I don't want to take chances on plugging these into a Pro bias unit just because whoever rebuilt these drivers used a cable with a 5-pin Pro bias plug for whatever reason. (He probably couldn't find another SR-Lambda normal bias cable.)

I am considering the eXStatA route because my Lambda setup included an extra Stax plug (not one of those really nice-looking ones, though, just one of those Amphenol plugs), but more out of consolidating the gigantic receiver + SRD-7/SB setup and testing my DIY electronics skills than anything else. The only thing that really concerns me is, of all things, the casework.

But what I don't know is if it's more cost-effective to go the DIY 'stat amp route, or just find an SRM-1/MK2 somewhere that offers both Normal and Pro bias capability at an affordable price...

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #51 of 110
Quote:
I've been back to using my Audio Technica W11Rs recently. Not enough words can explain how good a closed midrange based headphone sounds with vocals.

This is precisely the only downside I find about electrostats, their ethereal presentation has outstanding qualities (completely effortless sound that pops from nowhere), but a good closed headphone can be more involving especially with vocals. If only the 4070 were less analytical...
On the other hand I find bass impact very good with stats, I've been listening to my SR-003 lately and they can seriously rock with different tips and +3 db in the deep bass.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #52 of 110
On the Stats vs. Dynamics issue, Tyll's SR-009 review should be up at his Inner Fidelity site in the next week or two. It will be interesting to see what he thinks of Stax given that he has been down on electrostats in the past. I wonder if hearing them will convince him to pay more attention to the Stax route or confirm his love of dynamics.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #53 of 110
I have been looking at getting a basic STAX system for the past few months but wanted to hear some opinions of those who have experience with both types of cans.  I really appreciate detail and neutrality regarding sound presentation.  It is my hope that the new STAX models are able to present sound with the same amount of weight and body similar to the HD600 but with the same speed and detail of the ER4S.  

I have O2mk2 and I'm using them with KGSS and SRM-727II. The system is all balanced - from the Cary 306 SACD. I like the dark sound signature of O2mk2 (with the KGSS they're less dark but still on this side of the neutrality) but what misses most is tha bass slam. I'm listening mostly to electronics and the bass presentation is important to me.
For the past 10-11 months I listen mostly to dynamics - Shure SRH-240, SRH840 and my old k701. I play music from my laptop with Audio-GD FUN dac/amp and use heavily equalized foobar2000. :D
The question is: is it a retreat from the Hign End? Well... if we determine High End as an approach to the ultimate sound presentation - linear FR, superb focus of the instruments, ressolving sound, etc., I think yes, it's a retreat. BUT if we perceive the High End as the ultimate musicality, then I have 100% High End system: I have 100% the musicality of my Stax system + the missing part, good bass impact. For now I'm extremely pleased with my modest computer rig and the electrostats are covered with dust (literally) :D

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #54 of 110

Quote:
I have O2mk2 and I'm using them with KGSS and SRM-727II. The system is all balanced - from the Cary 306 SACD. I like the dark sound signature of O2mk2 (with the KGSS they're less dark but still on this side of the neutrality) but what misses most is tha bass slam. I'm listening mostly to electronics and the bass presentation is important to me.
For the past 10-11 months I listen mostly to dynamics - Shure SRH-240, SRH840 and my old k701. I play music from my laptop with Audio-GD FUN dac/amp and use heavily equalized foobar2000.
biggrin.gif

The question is: is it a retreat from the Hign End? Well... if we determine High End as an approach to the ultimate sound presentation - linear FR, superb focus of the instruments, ressolving sound, etc., I think yes, it's a retreat. BUT if we perceive the High End as the ultimate musicality, then I have 100% High End system: I have 100% the musicality of my Stax system + the missing part, good bass impact. For now I'm extremely pleased with my modest computer rig and the electrostats are covered with dust (literally)
biggrin.gif

You want bass slam, so you're listening to the K701? I don't get it. The K701 has barely any bass at all, and certainly a lot less than my O2 Mk1 does. I can understand wanting dynamics around for bass extension and impact, but choosing the K701 for that is laughable. The SRH840 I guess makes a little more sense, if that kind of FR appeals to you.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #55 of 110

Quote:
I wonder if hearing them will convince him to pay more attention to the Stax route or confirm his love of dynamics.

Doubt it. It's still too much of a niche product. Tyll's media venture requires that he pay attention to products that people can actually get without jumping through hoops.

You can't even get 80% of the stuff in the STAX catalog from their retailers in the USA. Always out-of-stock. I get the feeling the Needle Doctor dropped STAX because of their lack of responsiveness. I tried to order some STAX stuff from ND several months ago and ND told me they couldn't even get a good response. ND was very good with me and explained the situation. A few days later, I noted ND dropped everything STAX from their catalog. So that makes it one authorized retailer left in the USA if you don't count Woo.

I can imagine it went something like this:

(all via e-mail since phone never gets answered)

RETAILER: Do you have X in stock?
STAX DISTRIBUTOR: nope.
RETAILER: And...
STAX DISTRIBUTOR: Yes?
RETAILER: Do you know when they might come in?
STAX DISTRIBUTOR:  Nope.
RETAILER: Umm, do you have (similar product) Y in stock?
STAX DISTRIBUTOR:  Nope.
RETAILER: Umm, would like to to sell anything to us?
STAX DISTRIBUTOR:  We'll let you know when we have stuff.
RETAILER: Ok, thanks

When some of those Japanese export houses say buy from them because we (in the USA) will get better service (just ship back to Japan), it's true.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #56 of 110
You want bass slam, so you're listening to the K701? I don't get it. The K701 has barely any bass at all, and certainly a lot less than my O2 Mk1 does. I can understand wanting dynamics around for bass extension and impact, but choosing the K701 for that is laughable. The SRH840 I guess makes a little more sense, if that kind of FR appeals to you.

. I play music from my laptop with Audio-GD FUN dac/amp and I use heavily equalized foobar2000. :D

And it works, believe me. Good software qualization can do a bass monster from any headphone, not just k701. And I don't detect any negative effects. Try the implemented foobar equalizer. :)
P.S.: Heretical words, I know. :D

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #57 of 110

Quote:
When some of those Japanese export houses say buy from them because we (in the USA) will get better service (just ship back to Japan), it's true.

The traditional reason to buy from a US authorized dealer is warranty service. When it's Yama's providing that service though, I really have to wonder if the warranty is even worth the paper it's printed on. Importing an amp is somewhat problematic unless you're comfortable with rewiring it, but for the headphones, I see little reason to pay the premium for service that will likely never be there.

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #58 of 110
I forgot to mention the Koss ESP950 though. A darn steal with the nicest FR I've heard (and measured.)

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #59 of 110

Quote:
I forgot to mention the Koss ESP950 though. A darn steal with the nicest FR I've heard (and measured.)

x2.

I'll have to steal those back at some point.  Btw, the LCD2 rev1 is in.  Shoot me a line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back