Anyone gone back to using Dynamics from STAX?
Oct 28, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #106 of 110

Quote:
Ya it was hooked up to the S7 since I didn't get a chance to listen to that combo at the Venice meet.  I didn't listen to Donald's setup this time but have heard it on two separate occassions, though admittedly not with the HD800.  With the stock HD800, I find it sounds much better on OTL setups...I can't recall if Donald's amp is OTL or not, but I know the output impedance is ~8/120 Ohm so I'd probably like it a lot with the HD800.

Here's a better answer:

"The amp will have 2 switches on the front: 1 will switch between balanced and SE drive through the XLR outputs. This same switch also switches between full and -6dB output through the 1/4" stereo jack. Through the TRS jack, the output impedance is 8 ohm on full and I estimate around 2-3 ohms on -6dB setting (I need to measure to confirm).

For the TRS jack, there will be an additional switch to allow you to switch between Low (2 or 8 ohm depending on other switch setting) and IEC (120 ohm) output impedance."

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #107 of 110
I've always been a fan of Stax but always been using both dynamic and stax too. To my ears, compared to the 207->507 (paired with 323s + 006tS), the hd800s render a bit more detail and being less confusing in some passages in classical/movie score music.

So yes, i can be going back to dynamic without any problem.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #108 of 110
I am a long time STAX user (SRX MkIII, Lambda Pro, SR-404, and SR-003).  My family and I are becoming big headphone users because our tastes in music are so different.  I use the SR-404 in the living room.  I have the SR-003 with custom ear molds in the bedroom.  The custom molds changed the SR-003 from something kind of average sounding and uncomfortable to something really special.  I was using Etymotics (ER-4p and ER-6i) at work but I found them sort of uncomfortable and light in the bass range.  I prefer a fuller rich and balanced sound than the Etymotics would deliver.  I got a pair of Klipsch S4 on a whim and I really liked those.  I then got some UE Triple-Fi's and I like those even more but they are uncomfortable.  They are being re-shelled.  I also inherited a pair of Beats Dr. Dre Detox's. 

What I am trying to say is that I use both types depending on the situation and am satisfied with the sound from all of my systems.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #110 of 110

Quote:
Have you heard the HD800?  Only dynamic I find on par w/ the 009 for resolution.

The HD-800s wont render the detail of the reflections of sound off the walls of a concert hall like the 02s or 009s can.  To emphasize, I'm not talking about the notes from the instruments themselves, I'm talking about the harmonics of the reflections off room surfaces coming through clearly, something I've never heard through dynamic cans. The HD-800s did come closest though.

Quote:
Ya it was hooked up to the S7 since I didn't get a chance to listen to that combo at the Venice meet.  I didn't listen to Donald's setup this time but have heard it on two separate occassions, though admittedly not with the HD800.  With the stock HD800, I find it sounds much better on OTL setups...I can't recall if Donald's amp is OTL or not, but I know the output impedance is ~8/120 Ohm so I'd probably like it a lot with the HD800.

If other OTL amps were like the Audiovalve RKV Mark II I owned once, then I second that. Absolutely glorious. Not the most resolving rig, but sure the best combo I had with the HD-800s that I can remember.

I currently don't have a working amp here for the 009s, which is a good thing in a way, as now I can appreciate my other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back