Anyone familiar with Degauss Labs?
May 23, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #62 of 87
I didn't know that hifiklubben was nearby as well! but I wasn't really looking for those brands, kinda had my mind set on the SE215 already. I gave the dual drivers a go, and the least to say I was disappointed overall. (Disclaimer though, i was using my phone to drive the IEMs, which didn't have the best source, so anything here should be taken with a pinch of salt) 

Putting on the iems, it first struck me how difficult is was to get a good fit with the bundled tips, having to use my hands to hold the piece in place to get a proper seal, then again this could vary from person to person, since everyone's ears are different. Moving on, I first used a musical number from The Lion King, Circle of Life as my first track, the vocals were surprisingly better that what I had expected, clear, yet not overly detailed to sound clinical. I must say I had enjoyed this part of the track a little. When the orchestra started to play, everything changed, the instruments sounded mashed together, from the highs to the mids to the bass, it sounded like a pair of pods from the dollar shop, except with better vocals. Trying a few more tracks didn't really change my opinion at all, using a variety of songs that I listen to from different genres, and the result were all the same, while vocals were pretty good, everything else let it down by such a huge amount that it is definitely not worth the 1099SEK price tag IMO. 

On a side note, I bought the SE215 after comparing them with a few other pairs from Reference Audio, they were a bunch of very nice people, if the selection was larger, I would probably head down again to get another pair before I leave at the end of the year. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #65 of 87
Thought I would write a review on the Degauss Labs Noir ear buds due to the lack of reviews, and interest in the device.
(For some reason I can't include pictures...)

When it comes to music and movies I use Audio technica M50´s.  When it comes to talking on the phone and listening to audio books or the occasional song on the go and at work,  I needed ear buds,  microphone,  and buttons with Android support.  Lower wire noise,  a nuisance with the stock OEMs I had been using would be a big plus as well.  To my horror  there is a complete lack of 3 button earplugs for android. Although the single button can do a lot of heavy lifting,  I wanted volume controls.  As the demand for 3-button controls left me with either purchasing an IPhone,  or buying from Degausslabs, I bought the top pair,  Noir earphones.   I was quite bothered by the lack of reviews.   Although I saw from their Facebook page that this was a brand new pair,  the previous brand (dual drivers)  only had a few low key individual reviews.  But after impressive and responsive answers via customer support,  and what seemed like an up front return policy,  I took the plunge.   Here are my impressions.  
Sound
For comparison I utilized 
  1. AT M50 over ear headphones
  2. OEM LG ear buds   
  3. Brainwavz Deltas
As a reference I compared the sound with my M50´s which are double the cost over ear headphones.  This comparison is of course not "fair" in any sense, but a reference point.

Loudness
I generally don't turn headphones or earphones up very high due to tinnitus issues,  attempting to listen to all media at as low a volume as possible.  The first forms of compensation with cheap headphones when it comes to lacking clarity is to raise the volume.  During testing, the OEM's quickly lost clarity, and began distorting "Sss" sounds.  I never reached a real strain point with the Brainwavz or the Noirs.  That's good enough for me. With effective isolation,  lower volumes should sound louder which is generally good for your ears.

Clarity
I place the greatest emphasis on clarity.  Clarity,  at low volumes especially,  was one of the main reasons I picked the armature model over normal drivers. The Noirs remained distinctive enough to utilize and listen to audio books at the lowest possible volume (this is where good isolation helps noticeably) with the speech remaining very clear.  At my "higher"  volumes,  which is probably by no means high for others,  there was no audible distortion.  The quality was noticeably better than the Brainwavz which only employs drivers, and far better than OEM's.  Although not quite as clear as the M50's when it comes to slight echo's and a wider sound stage, these Noirs perform very well.

Bass Response

The conclusion hear is similar to those above.  Although ear buds don't match the sound stage of strong over ear headphones, the bass response of the Degauss Noirs was surprisingly strong - strong enough to feel the thump in your ears.  The response was quite a bit stronger than the Brainwavz, and of course stronger than the non-existent response of the OEM's.

Look and Feel
From the outset the team at Degausslabs.com looks to make a good impression and does so with a smartly crafted black box and precision cut materials in casing the ear buds. Included in the box are two connectors,  an in flight connector which I have not seen a use for for some years now (maybe others fly older airlines)  and a quality splitter which is always nice to have.  There are two sets of 5 silicone ear pieces which gives you two pairs of the size you like.   I would however rather have wanted to see a higher thicker quality silicone tips or a foam version rather than such a vast array of otherwise very plain silicone tips.   Compared to the quality of the box and ear buds the silicone earplugs felt out of place and bring down the otherwise awesome unwrapping experience. Even if they raised the price slightly,  raising the quality of the included ear buds would really round out this product.  If you expect to move with these,  or generally require better fitting tips,  expect to buy better tips or look elsewhere. 

*After an initial snafu with the earphones Degauss sent me a new pair and included a pair of foam tips.  Great customer service, and I highly recommend foam tips.  
The earphones themselves feel exquisite however,  and feel far superior in weight,  durability,  and feel than the Brainwavz, OEM's, and more expensive brands I´ve examined.   The aluminum construction with the DL etching reeks quality and are truly impressive compared to the generally plastic selection at lower and equal pricing levels.  I have yet to see if normal wear and tear has any effect on the black coating of the aluminum frame,  but so far so good. These really are eye catching.    
The cord is interesting as it deviates from the flat cabling seen in most higher quality headphones these days for a twisted cable.   This also deviates from the companies own dual driver model.   From what little I have seen referring to this setup it is suppose to reduce "wire noise"  and microphone noise,  and reduce strain on the wire joints.   Weather it's the twisted wire or something else,  I do notice considerably less noise when moving about or talking on the phone then the sandstorm I heard with my cheaper OEM ear buds.  As for simple aesthetics the twisted cable looks pretty awesome and unique.  The twisted cable is also suppose to prevent tangle.  To an extent it does, but that doesn't prevent a fair degree of de-tangling whenever I retrieve them from my pocket due to a single issue.  

The design of the ear buds themselves, becoming slim in the middle between the tips and the enclosure, catches cords like a hook. As I generally answer all calls with these headphones, being able to grab the cord out of my suit pocket, and into my ears was one of my main requirements.  Not being able to simply pull at the cords to loosen the ear buds is a bit of a nuisance.  The fact that I use large foam tips probably exasperates the problem.  
As for the microphone,  I have heard no complaints so far from the other end when it comes to sound. The mic enclosure is also home to the all important 3-buttons.  The enclosure and buttons are made of solid black plastic, while certainly not detracting from the product left me wondering if some of the design magic that went into the earphones couldn't have been done here as well.  The buttons were solid however and easy to place without looking.   The buttons give a good tactile click without significant noise heard through the earphones.
  As for overall looks, its one of the better I´ve seen at this price.  Unlike a number of other earphones, such as the cheap Brainwavz, these have a really solid professional look while others often go for the "space-age" look which I don't like.  All in all these ear buds look very professional. 

Usage
My main reason for buying the ear buds were a replacement for my previous ear buds which I mainly used as an extension of my phone.   I like talking on the phone with ear buds,  and having quick access to audio books and music on the go or in the office. Although I will always resort to the ATs at home,  they are not practical to lug around.   So a durable pair of ear buds with a good mic was the order.  
One of the main reasons for choosing or even looking at Degausslabs.com was due to the Android support. I figured the one button usage was inadequate as I like to have the phone in my pocket,  and want to be able to raise and lower the volume during calls,  or raise and lower audio books,  without having to fumble the buttons on the phone. To that extent everything works great,  even without installing the degausslabs.com app.  The app seems to have all sorts of functionality regarding specific apps that I have not attempted to utilize,  especially since one of my main apps,  audible,  is not on the list.   A weird function of the app is to auto-start a certain app when you plug in the headphones.   I was not at all interested in this and after some tinkering changed the settings.   Since the volume buttons seem to work without the app,  I may remove it at some point.  
Fit
As for comfort,  these ear buds don't seem to have any special tricks when it comes to fit.  These are straight ear buds, not angled, with no L R markings (the mic becomes the L R  tip off). As mentioned before the included ear buds are very plain silicone - comply plugs would probably be at home here.  I was not especially wowed by the fit of these earplugs as they seemed to fit as many other had. For what I do however,  they certainly stay where they should,  and I don't wear them for significant periods.  If fit is a problem for you,  then these will probably be a problem as well as they don't seem to do anything unique in that department.
**After I received foam tips the fit is much better.

Personally I don't intend to use these headphones for any sports activities.   I do notice however that there is no intrinsic wire-over-ear support (wires would not stay wrapped no matter how hard I attempted) ,  or other attachment that keeps this in ear if running or jogging.   These are probably not intended to be sports editions, and without comply tips would probably fall out as most such non-sport earphones would.  
Customer support
One of the highlights was the awesome response time from the team at Degauss.   I initially sent them questions over Facebook and received a reply within minutes.  Their reply told me that this was not a rep in India,  and that these guys really loved their company and earphones. After receiving the earphones I asked for recommendations concerning burn in.   I received a reply 45 seconds later with a link,  and mention that it is the dynamic drivers that improve with burn in,  not the armatures.  Pro.
I have no experience with their return or dud policy,  but if their professional responses and response time is any indicator,  it's probably solid.

I ended up having to return the first pair as the mic seemed to have excessive static.  Upon request a replacement pair was sent immediately.  No hassle.

Conclusion
My main reason for buying these headphones was clarity,  volume button support,  lower wire noise,  quick placement,  and as it turned out,  damn good looks.  To that end they fit the bill very well, outside of "quick placement", although I probably could have gotten away with Degausslabs.com cheaper offerings giving some ground in clarity.

Do these ear buds compete with real cans when it comes to sound quality or sound stage? Of course not, and should probably not be purchased thinking they or any other tiny device would. If you want real sound quality,  buy real cans and you won't regret it.   But of course cans don't cut it on the go or in the office.  If you need real sound quality in earplugs, these are a vast improvement over the included plugs or cheaper plugs, and certainly conformed to expectation for a pair in this 130$ price range.  
The most impressive aspect is the build weight and build quality.  They simply feel very impressive.  From aluminum frame, to the twisted wiring,  to the solid yet slim connector.  The sound,  although my standards are with expensive cans, is far better than OEMs and matched my somewhat lofty expectations for how they would preform.  Very strong clarity due to the armatures, and the bass response has improved significantly over time (due to burn in) thumps impressively.  
The least impressive aspect was most certainly the attachable tips which felt "stock",  seeing no difference in look and feel with the OEMs which is a shame. It almost forces you to buy new tips just to match the rest of the build.  This especially in light of the Brainwavz deltas including foam tips.

All in all I am quite happy with these earplugs and expect they will receive some looks and questions at the office. For the price,  the sound and especially build quality are impressive.  Customer service seems top notch and it really shows that these guys love earphones.   Gotta love start ups.   Small improvements in tips,  fit,  and some extra love for the button enclosure would really make these the earphones to beat.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #67 of 87
Is it just me or are there loads of reviews of these on here and elsewhere by new users with very few previous posts...

Is it just me or are you a bit of a jerk?
1.  The review had a number of negative points, hardly a gushing endorsement.  
2.  Loads of reviews of these?  How about you point me to a couple - or maybe just one?  I found a total of 3 threads here that even mention them.  One of the reasons I wrote a review of the Noir pair (not Dual Driver) is because I couldn't find any real reviews on them.
3.  I would have posted it on amazon had I bought them there, but I posted it here since this is one of the few sites that even mentions them.  

If you want to check if a consumer level "review" as a sham, how about you PM me first before trashing it as fake.

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #68 of 87
I see many questions but no answers. I have had the degauss labs dual driver x-plug for 8 months now and am extremely happy with both build quality and sound. They are most definately orth the money. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #69 of 87
Hello mr.norris. you can the cable behind the ears wearing? in which design is what possibly an option, I have the Degauss Labs noir ordered in Sweden, which is customer service very fast, really exemplary. this product is made in China?
Greetings jenz

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #70 of 87
Today, Degauss Labs Noir came and the sound is very good. But unfortunately, the headset is not working with the Neutron player. very annoying. Does anyone have a solution as I control the neutron player can use the remote control?

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #71 of 87
the neutron player works flawlessly with all buttons on the remote. you do not need these extra app from Degauss Labs. with some changes equalizer provides the noir very good sound for very little money. have been much more expensive models include, for example, the ckr10, fostex te05, etc t10 of RHA, all do not sound so loud and clear. pity that this model hardly anyone knows. In addition, the noir very comfortable. if someone buys it and uses eq Here's a tip as he plays more neutral and its potential fully exploits.

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #72 of 87
Any info on HOWL ? It`s their flagship model DD + 2BA: http://degausslabs.com/earphones/howl
They offer 14 days trial time and free deliver - sounds little crazy? And no reviews on them? 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #73 of 87
It says to reserve them so I think they aren't technically out yet. That may explain it. They look pretty good except for the lame pouch instead of a halfway decent case. No excuse at least a generic clamshell zip case doesn't come with everything over $99 in 2016. Phantom master at full price listed is 10GBP more and look at all you get with that.

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #74 of 87
My local forum fellow member ordered them almost 2 weeks ago but haven`t received them yet as I know (I might be wrong as he just haven`t posted about them yet).
Quite long time for inside EU shipping 
rolleyes.gif
 Anyway, Master 4 seems more appealing and quality service than Howl for me too.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #75 of 87
I searched this forum, could not make heads or tails. bought headphones.
Just now I registered specifically to post this.

I got their Noir for Android. There were some issues with microphone interacting with my Nexus 6P phone (people could not quite hear me). We never figured it out. Folks from Degauss have worked with me - sent me another pair; same problem. Stumped, but worked out a deal where I paid a bit more and got howl.

omg.

Howl works with Nexus 6p (including volume buttons). They are expensive.
I don't use their app.

Sound - I don't feel super qualified to talk about it; I would not consider myself on par with people on this forum.

Subjectively, these are the best earbuds I'd ever heard period. Compared to:

I went through many ~$20 pairs. I don't recall all details, but "muffled" was common. I suspect you'd say that midtones aren't well expressed or some such. 
I went through some sony ~$40 sony earbuds (no microphone) - nice warm base, but everything else again "muffled"
Noir: I did not like base; there wasn't enough of it at all. Otherwise I felt clarity was there, and I never tried their foam buds. I hate foam buds.
Couple of Klipsch models (one of them was s4a), and Etymotic ER7-MC3

Howls aren't in the same league as those other ones (though, of course, they are also double the price of the Klipsch/Etymotic, so y'know)

All of that is to say - I love them; company and headphones. While there were some bumps, I was very impressed with folks from Degauss working with me to resolve them. And I love the sound. 

I think I just left my headphones on the plane, and if I don't get them back I'll go drop full price (since they gave me heavy discount on the other pair) to get another pair.
I can't go back to the crap I was using before.
NoER7-MC3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back