Anyone ever had the OLD Koss K-6?
Feb 24, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #31 of 31
Good on you for taking the time to breathe new life into them. I'm a fix it if you can fella too!
Mine were stolen along with other sound and photography gear in the very early 80s. The thieves must have had a truck or van because it was way too much to carry. We got well and truly cleaned out and the 75kg *****cat of a guard dog did nuthin' A big black Newfie.

I always thought the cushions on my K-6s would be the first concern they had started to deteriorate. Mine were just OK but I did have to be gentle with them as they were starting to crack.
Most if not all of my 'earthmovers' have paper cones or slight variations on that theme, some being coated in some polymer. I always wanted to have a crack at flopping a mold off the paper cones, in Carbon or Kevlar or a similar hybrid cloth, perhaps even something more exotic. Not so sure how much better that might be sonically,very likely a lot stiffer, if that's a good thing? But definately prettier if aesthetics is a concern.
After the burglary I replaced the Koss with my first pair of Sennheisers, it would be unfair to call them 'cans' but they wouldn't fit in the aural canal (Not without a hammer!) So they were over ear but not contained in a true cup or shell. Nor were they really as 'open back' in the sense some types are today.

They were not a lot of money (surprise surprise!) but did sound good. I can't remember the model but they were made of a plastic( polypropylene, I think) the drivers were caged in a similar plastic that was vented radially over the driver magnets and those cages attached to the over head band.On which they slid up and down and they also had a small amount of axial movement about the stalks of that band.
They were white plastic and had a bluish turquoise sponge foam over the drivers. Very light weight, you hardly knew you were wearing them. As I said, sound wise they were excellent. Like a lot of other items of my long lost kit, I'd have them back in a blink.
Perversely or coincidentally, Koss have a recent model that's quite a similar design to those early Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back