Anyone else notice a load of sibilance with the MEElectronics M6?
Jul 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

EternalEmpire

100+ Head-Fier
They sound great in most aspects, especially with electronic music but whenever someone starts speaking (it's usually a bit less noticable with singing) the "S" sound is so shrill and over pronounced that it literally hurts my ears. I've never heard anyone else complain about this so I'm wondering if it's just me who's noticed this.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 19
I only heard sibilance with the stock triple flange tips but it was pretty clear that they didn't give me a good fit. With Sony Hybrids or foam tips the sibilance is negligible for me (and my M6s have hundreds of hours on them). If it's really that bad you can definitely use your eq to make a cut around 6k. 

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I heard they sound quite a bit better with Sony Hybrids but I don't have any so I can't test this.

I also focus mainly on EQ for these because I stick w/ the Tri flanges many don't like.  I find the Tri flanges just give me the most secure fit for being active.

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
I heard they sound quite a bit better with Sony Hybrids but I don't have any so I can't test this.

It was a million percent improvement, in my experience. The Hybrids are like upgrading it to a whole new level for 8 bucks. Far as I'm concerned they're mandatory, and without them you haven't heard the M6. (I don't doubt there are other good replacement tips also).

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 19
I prefer using the M6s (along with just about every other IEM in my collection) with Sony Hybrids and they sound quite good with these tips. Sibilance is pretty much a non-issue with hybrid tips in my experience.

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 19
Whats the deal about the Sony Hybrids?  Smaller ear channel?  Firmer material?  I just get skeptical everytime I look at them online.  Can anyone explain them?

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Whats the deal about the Sony Hybrids?  Smaller ear channel?  Firmer material?  I just get skeptical everytime I look at them online.  Can anyone explain them?

They're softer than most silicone tips, have a firmer but flexible inner tube that will latch on to just about anything and do indeed have a small nozzle size which seems to attenuate some treble peaks as well as enhancing the low end ever so slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back