Anyone else not happy with the TripleFi10's?
Dec 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

gates_2

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone else unhappy with these? Compared to my ER4-S, amped with a good source, its like someone chopped off all the upper range clarity on these..they are incredibly warm and full bodied, but it just sounds, well, rather not good to my ears!(thats with all the different tips, deep in ears, more shallow, etc...) I listen to mostly classical, vocal jazz, etc.. Though even on some of my bass heavy 80's mixes, the TripleFi 10's lack detail!

Admittedly I like a more neutral, detailed sound(hence my passion for akg...501, previous owner of k1000)..The way these sound to my ears makes me not even think they were a good buy at $100

I'm curious to see what other people think about these!

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by gates_2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else unhappy with these? Compared to my ER4-S, amped with a good source, its like someone chopped off all the upper range clarity on these..they are incredibly warm and full bodied, but it just sounds, well, rather not good to my ears!(thats with all the different tips, deep in ears, more shallow, etc...) I listen to mostly classical, vocal jazz, etc.. Though even on some of my bass heavy 80's mixes, the TripleFi 10's lack detail!

Admittedly I like a more neutral, detailed sound(hence my passion for akg...501, previous owner of k1000)..The way these sound to my ears makes me not even think they were a good buy at $100

I'm curious to see what other people think about these!

I felt the exact same way coming from Etys. Very common mindset. I should dig up my initial review post from 3-4 years ago. I honestly thought I got a bad pair I thought they sounded so cloudy.

Trust me....put the Etys away for a week and give yourself time to adjust to the TFP. Your ears will adjust pretty well. NOTHING has that hyper Ety treble. I grew to much prefer the TFP even though it is smoother and warmer sounding. Not saying everyone will feel this way but give your ears a week to adjust before sending back or selling.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 101
I have not experienced a lack of detail with my TF10s. Other than a reduced midrange, they are very treble-centric to my ears. I am able to hear deeper into recordings with my Turbines (surprising I know, but they are a very very good IEM), but to my ears the TF10s are clear with a nice, but comparatively smeared, low-end. Very enjoyable though with jazz and acoustic recordings.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 101
I missed the $99 amazon gold box sale so if you want to sell them I'd be interested.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm dying to see how some of the 3 driver iem's sound compared to my custom 3's.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 101
Haha though I haven't even received my TF10's yet, I woke up last night thinking what if my experiences are exactly like the OP's! I kind of freaked out when I saw the title of this thread! I mean, it would kind of suck if they are not that impressive, because I automatically assumed they would be an upgrade to my HF5 (I know, shame on me!), but I guess it could go both ways. It just bothers me a bit that it seems based on the number of recent IEM reviews that the TF10 has fallen out of style (at least before the Amazon sale lol) for some reason, so it might be that it really isn't worth it as a $300+ MSRP IEM. Regardless, I plan to give them a fair chance, and if I do end up liking them, I will probably go with customs. If not, well at least I didn't shell out $300+ for them :)

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksu06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha though I haven't even received my TF10's yet, I woke up last night thinking what if my experiences are exactly like the OP's! I kind of freaked out when I saw the title of this thread! I mean, it would kind of suck if they are not that impressive, because I automatically assumed they would be an upgrade to my HF5 (I know, shame on me!), but I guess it could go both ways. It just bothers me a bit that it seems based on the number of recent IEM reviews that the TF10 has fallen out of style (at least before the Amazon sale lol) for some reason, so it might be that it really isn't worth it as a $300+ MSRP IEM. Regardless, I plan to give them a fair chance, and if I do end up liking them, I will probably go with customs. If not, well at least I didn't shell out $300+ for them :)

yea..definitely give them a chance first, and hopefully this wont spoil your unbiased review of them .. these are just my initial impressions.. I'll give them a couple of days, and if they are still un-satisfactory, I'm sure plenty of people on here will be interested(already have 2 pms asking for the sale hehe)

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 101
The TF10s are easily my favorite IEM. I've used some low end Etys, low end Shures, Sf5s and actually owned a pair of Shure Se530s before getting these and I prefer the TF10s over anything I've ever heard before. Especially compared to the Se530s. I couldn't stand the sound of them.

Of course, it's all up to personal preference and while I'm sure there will be some who don't particularly like it, I think most will be more than pleased. I wouldn't worry too much.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by karmalaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was having buyer's remorse on the $99, but now that I've gotten the price down to $45 on them -- I'll save them and have customs made. How can I NOT like them for that price?

How did you get them down to $45? Do tell!
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by mizuvo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you get them down to $45? Do tell!
biggrin.gif

1) I emailed Amazon last night very, very nicely and lamented that I had just missed the $50 rebate by just a couple of hours and asked if anything could be done. I've been an account holder for YEARS (I didn't tell them that -- I figured they'd know). I woke up this morning to be surprised by a $50 credit.

2) I received a promotional email today that said if I purchased any amazon gift card of $50 or more I'd receive a $5 credit by the end of the month. So I purchased the $50 GC then applied it to my order which is supposed to ship tomorrow. To use this promotion you have to be the recipient of the email directly from amazon.com.

Voila, $45 TF10vi !

I don't expect most people can duplicate this though.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 101
I'm not "sly" -- I'm just not afraid of "no". You can't get to "yes" if you're afraid of "no".

p.s. I'm a daughter - but, neither of my parents was a gun. However, my uncle was a pistol. :)

And, what other offer was combined? The $5 was an offer on the gift card.

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by karmalaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) I emailed Amazon last night very, very nicely and lamented that I had just missed the $50 rebate by just a couple of hours and asked if anything could be done. I've been an account holder for YEARS (I didn't tell them that -- I figured they'd know). I woke up this morning to be surprised by a $50 credit.

2) I received a promotional email today that said if I purchased any amazon gift card of $50 or more I'd receive a $5 credit by the end of the month. So I purchased the $50 GC then applied it to my order which is supposed to ship tomorrow. To use this promotion you have to be the recipient of the email directly from amazon.com.

Voila, $45 TF10vi !

I don't expect most people can duplicate this though.

Way to work the system! I am sure you win most of the arguments with your significant other
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back