Anyone else disappointed by Apple's iPod updates
Sep 10, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 48
Pretty disappointed in only an extra 40 gig on the classic, and lack of a nicer screen or more colors, or anything to differentiate it from the model from 2 years ago.. Gonna stick with my 5.5g.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty disappointed in only an extra 40 gig on the classic, and lack of a nicer screen or more colors, or anything to differentiate it from the model from 2 years ago.. Gonna stick with my 5.5g.

Heck, when the Classic was first announced, the top model was 160GB already!
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #18 of 48
Yup, it is a resurrection more than a "new" version of the iPod Classic 160G. Wonder if the overall size has changed though - when they gave up the 160G last year it was because they wanted a slimmer single platter hard disk on the 120G. Does this mean the new 160G is a single platter hard disk and slimmer in size than the previous 160G Classic?

Also wonder if battery life has been improved and whether the UI is any snappier than before ... I find the UI of the 160G Classic abit laggy (probably due to the larger storage capacity and limited CPU?)

As a side note : anyone tried iTunes 9 yet? Just want to know if any problems have come up.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #19 of 48
I'm just mad they didn't put the new processor in the 8GB model. That and they have no reply to the Zune HD, which is even more disappointing. However, Apple has a history of being late to the game, so I guess we'll just have to wait 'til the next big announcement time. No OLED screens, nothing, not even better battery life!

I remember my jaw dropping when I saw the then-new 1st gen Nano for the first time, it made my just-bought Mini look like a brick! I guess those days are over for good
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #20 of 48
Not disappointed at all since I have no expectation from Apple. After years of intentional delay of getting an iPod, I finally got myself a Nano 4 to play around and compare to my Fuze, only to confirm how much I hated iTune to not wanted to get another iPod again. Well, I guess it is a personality thing.

Remember seeing news the other day that a market survey pointed out that most major telecommunication businesses lose profit due to carrying iPhone despite having more customers (as Apple takes a big chunk of the pie from any iPhone deal). At the end, only Apple is really benefited from all of it. I wonder if Apple is secretly trying to turn itself into Microsoft...
ph34r.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #21 of 48
I too refrained from getting an iPod for the longest time ... till nearly everyone gave up making large capacity hard disk based DAPs.

No Zunes in Hong Kong, so no choice for me really apart from the iPod Classic
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #22 of 48
Actually, one thing that's bugging me is some kinks in the new iPhone update. My phone keeps randomly freezing and I have to hard reset it.
But I agree with what some mentioned, that with every new feature it just seems like there's less innovation possible next time around. Apple has the technology to do more (I assume for no reason,) but they don't want each gen to be a revolution, especially because they also (I assume) have to spend crazy r&d for such revolutionary model, as opposed to merely tweaking existing platforms. They want to push the envelope, but only slightly further than competition, not necessarily to their own limits.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #23 of 48
Actually, Apple doesn't do much R&D (and manufacture) themselves these days. They designed the look and layout the spec then ask Foxconn Taiwan to carry out the R&D for them. Once Apple approves the prototype, Foxconn will manufacture the new iPod and iPhone on their China factories. This is why Foxconn's chairman is the richest man in Taiwan.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, one thing that's bugging me is some kinks in the new iPhone update. My phone keeps randomly freezing and I have to hard reset it.
But I agree with what some mentioned, that with every new feature it just seems like there's less innovation possible next time around. Apple has the technology to do more (I assume for no reason,) but they don't want each gen to be a revolution, especially because they also (I assume) have to spend crazy r&d for such revolutionary model, as opposed to merely tweaking existing platforms. They want to push the envelope, but only slightly further than competition, not necessarily to their own limits.

that is the real problem I have. That Apple decides that they will 1 up the competition but only so far as to assure that they will be called the "best" not because each time they actually add everything they possibly can and WOW the industry. Idk, I just wished they took some more chances and truly gave us something new, not just another zombified ipod with features we already knew existed and have had on other apple devices.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, it is a resurrection more than a "new" version of the iPod Classic 160G. Wonder if the overall size has changed though - when they gave up the 160G last year it was because they wanted a slimmer single platter hard disk on the 120G. Does this mean the new 160G is a single platter hard disk and slimmer in size than the previous 160G Classic?

Also wonder if battery life has been improved and whether the UI is any snappier than before ... I find the UI of the 160G Classic abit laggy (probably due to the larger storage capacity and limited CPU?)

It's the same classic chassis and hardware as the classic from last year and the year before, but with a larger hard drive. It is indeed slimmer than the original 160 gig since it is single platter instead of dual platter... but it's the third time the same product gets announced, it just doesn't seem too sharp of product at this point in time.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #26 of 48
Partly!
Quite pleased with the new iPod nano, but expected a higher capacity iPod touch. Resurrection of the 160GB iPod Classic is nice though...

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried the new "6.5G" iPod classic 160 GB at the Apple Store today and it's actually pretty good--sound quality is excellent (based on plugging in the MDR-EX90LP headphones I own) and the menu selection is pretty quick. I seriously want to get one so I can put my entire CD collection (ripped to 256 kbps AAC format) onto one player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back