Anyone else absolutely hate cell phones?
Feb 7, 2009 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Lornecherry

100+ Head-Fier
I find them very intrusive and annoying. And now my wife has informed me that here in Canada, cell phone numbers will be made public, thereby opening up them to further annoyance from telemarketers.
mad.gif

Other than dialing out, I rarely give my cell number. I'm mostly at my keyboard and near a land-line phone or email anyway. Only time I ever need feel the need for a cell is when I'm in the car, and even then, rarely.

I love other gadgets, have many and will probably get an iPod Touch, but never a smart phone. I just don't like the invasion of privacy and frankly get enough calls at home with 4 teenagers. I do like the email capabilities of smart phones, but even so, there's little in my job that can't wait until I'm at a PC.

Am I alone?

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 54
On first impulse, I despise them for turning this generation (I'm 19) into emotionally-detached texters with screwed up priorities, but on second thought, it's also shows that self-control and self-judgment are getting out of hand (is that a pun?).
mad.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 54
i never got into the habit of texting. Don't even have a texting plan.

cell phones have times when they're useful and times when they're annoying. I wouldn't say I hate them though, since I pretty much depend on the cell phone, and don't use landlines at all.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 54
I used to hate them and refused to have one. But a few years back, my family had an intervention style meeting and badgered me into getting one. I resented it at first, but got one of the original RAZR phones and came to like it. I switched to the iPhone when it came out and I've come to depend on it. That, and the TomTom I said I never wanted because I like paper maps. But I love both now.

I do agree with you about the annoyance and intrusion, though. I don't drive and talk (illegal here anyway), turn it off at the movie theater and try not to annoy people.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 54
Me, me, me. I don't use mine anymore.

Honestly, if all the Cell phone satellites blew up today, I would cheer and howl. They're easily the most annoying, horrible, obnoxious pieces of technology invented.

I sound like an old man.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 54
Its not the cell phone that annoys me, its people who use them without any consideration for others around them that annoys me.

I mean, I really don't want to know about some secondary school girl's sexual activities on the weekend when I'm on public transport, but for some reason they think its cool to talk about it loudly in public as though its some kind of badge of honor.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 54
I have to carry one for work, but do not use it outside of business. Good for emergency situations I suppose, but the apparent need of so many people to be on them constantly escapes me. They are annoying and intrusive in so many ways, and if they ever lift the ban on in-flight use of them, I may go "postal" on an airplane one day.

Of particular mystery to me are those who walk around with a cockroach (bluetooth headset) stuck on their ear.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 54
You know what's irritating? Two people at lunch with each other, they're facing each other, but they're texting on their phone. Talk to the ****ing person in front of you, please.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 54
I've nothing against cell phones, but the people who abuse them. I have a lot of stop signs near my building, and drivers with cell phone-in-hand often run them "unknowingly".

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know what's irritating? Two people at lunch with each other, they're facing each other, but they're texting on their phone. Talk to the ****ing person in front of you, please.

Actually, that reminds me: my ex-gf's family, they all called each other inside the house to say something, even when they were in the next room.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, but that's a pretty out-there case.

Either that, or I just seem to hang out with normal human beings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back