Anyone else absolutely hate cell phones?
Feb 7, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #31 of 54
No, and I actually love them.
At work we have mobile office (cellular phone and laptop), and at home I have not had a landline the last 10 years. Been a cellular user for 20 years and don't see myself without one.
smile.gif

Currently use a Sony Ericsson G502
g502a.jpg

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #32 of 54
now that i think of it actually i really really hate people who dont have their phones switched on ever, ie the very old. my grandfather and his lady friend are a bugger to get a hold of as he never takes his with him and she takes her but only switched it on when she wants to make a call!?!?!??!!? like how annoying is that

i cant go out without mine, my whole life is on it, it vibrates and reminds what i should be doing and stuff, check email, hell it tells me when the buses are due here in real time

sony+p1i.JPG

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

No offence NSX 23 and fordgtlover, but what I really hate are cars. In my view they are an imposition and certainly not a right. I choose not to drive as far as possible, for the same reason i choose not carry a lethal weapon. I'll be happy when they go the way of the dinosaur.

No offense taken.

I enjoy cars, but I do agree with you that that they should not be viewed as a right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now that i think of it actually i really really hate people who dont have their phones switched on ever, ie the very old. my grandfather and his lady friend are a bugger to get a hold of as he never takes his with him and she takes her but only switched it on when she wants to make a call!?!?!??!!? like how annoying is that

I thought it was only people in my family. Maybe they have the right idea. When am I old enough to claim that I don't understand this [new-fangled] technology and just use the phone this way?

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I detect a story behind that ellipsis...

bikes, middle of nowhere, in scotland luckily someone who drove past had one

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same thing here with one of my relatives. Worse is when she calls me later and demands to know why I haven't texted or called her back.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offence NSX 23 and fordgtlover, but what I really hate are cars. In my view they are an imposition and certainly not a right. I choose not to drive as far as possible, for the same reason i choose not carry a lethal weapon. I'll be happy when they go the way of the dinosaur.

You are very welcome to express your opinion. We're all (well, most of us) mature people, and can accept the fact that opinions differ between people.

I do think that most people take their car and license these days for granted, and don't truly appreciate what a privilege it is. Certainly explains the hoons around town, but then again I feel the media has blown things out of proportion. Either way, the current appaling Victorian public transport has made me really appreciate and cherish my privilege to have a car, and I think you'll find most car enthusiasts share this believe that cars are not a right.

In fact, most things in life are taken for granted by people these days, which I believe is not a good thing. I think many kids are brought up under the impression that everything is "me me me": This kind of behavior is extremely prominent from my experience in Hong Kong, and I think it traces back to the after WWII times when these kid's parents had to fight with everyone else to get a job, food, whatever (Please note that this is only a theory my dad and I came up with), and so this kind of culture has been passed on.

To those annoyed with calls after a certain time: Its called the power button.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On first impulse, I despise them for turning this generation (I'm 19) into emotionally-detached texters

Well, having someone texting beside you is much better than having the same person yelling "OMG! That boy is so totally cute!"

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, having someone texting beside you is much better than having the same person yelling "OMG! That boy is so totally cute!"

lol

I like my simple Motorola phone. It's beat up and scratched but being able to keep in touch with family in case of emergency and the obvious advantage in my business is something that I would never want to lose.

What makes me laugh is the person using a bluetooth in a store, I still see them as talking to themselves
confused_face.gif
. Personally I have no need for bluetooth but if you must talk and drive...I guess.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #40 of 54
I'm a terrible person. I've got a tune on my phone that is dedicated for certain people that i usually don't want to talk to, so when they call me I instantly know who it is, without even picking the phone out of my pocket. The tune is the stones' brown sugar
tongue.gif

But I do sort of like my cell phone, it's very practical. There's a calculator and the alarm clock to get me up in the mornings, and I can use it as a remote control for my computer.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #41 of 54
I love cell phones, but I hate the way that people use them. I just wish that people would be more considerate when using their phones.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #42 of 54
i dislike people who keep their phones always on silent and dont take calls..which is quite common in singapore.

here's my phone..i love it..
xperia_x1_front.jpg

it plays DVD' videos at 800X480 widescreen format
biggrin.gif

and its a bigger show off than iphone i noticed...dunno why though

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #43 of 54
I'm with all of those who absolutely despise the overuse of them, with people babbling incessantly in public. I have one, have since 1985 (I kid you not, but those were "bag" phones for car use mainly). I sat on a streetcorner coffee shop on spring day, and watched cars turn the corner in front of me. I counted 57 out of 75 cars with people holding the phone in their hand, babbling away while driving. In Philly, you can see cops, meter maids, cab drivers - you name it - babbling away while on the job.

My biggest mystery? What do all those people have to say to each other? It's the equivalent of those 2-hour calls we used to have as teenagers, I guess, talking for the sake of talking.

I do use one, of course, but my calls are mainly to ask what brand of cornflakes to get at the store, or texts sent from the poker table. Not much else.

Of course, my wife thinks the same thing about me posting on Head-Fi. But at least it's quiet. LOL.

Oh, but I do love special ring tones, which are fun. My general tone is Sinatra's Ring-a-Ding-Ding, and when my wife calls, Lyle Lovett's She's No Lady (she's my wife)."

When I call my wife, her phone rings the theme from "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (an American TV show on HBO about a husband who can do no right).

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #44 of 54
well, they changed my life in a good way i think. i rarely use it but several times, i have had to and it has been helpful to carry one. once, the pedal arm of my crank fell apart (ising a cheap truvativ crank on my old opus - the pedal arm stripped out of the soft aluminium) and i was 25 km out. a mobile phone really really helped!

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #45 of 54
I don't really care for them either. It seems like no matter what model you get or how much you spend, there are little annoyances and idiosyncrasies that eventually drive you to buy another one, beginning the process all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back