Anybody Like Fostex T50RP Stock, As-is?
Sep 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

franconero

Head-Fier
There's tons of talk re the Fostex T50RP around, but most of it seems to center around the various ways to mod them. I'm really not interested in modding, but reviews like the one at Headphonia makes me want to try it.

Is modding essential with these, or are there people out there who enjoy them stock, as-is? 

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 24
when i auditioned a pair couple months ago at local guitar center i really enjoyed them(yea my local guitar center carries fostex gear sometimes but rarely since fostex is not big name there. they mostly deal with online orders mostly). they sound lot better stock then people give them credit for. to be honest out of all the same studio headphones in the same price range as the t50rp's they'll the most balanced out of them all and has a very good midrange(much better compared to akg 240 studios).

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 24
Unfortunately, I haven't head a chance to hold, feel or hear the Fostex phones, yet.  However, please look at my signature and you might get an idea how I really feel. 
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 24
I like them stock a lot, despite the resonances and the lack of bass hit, although the extension is very good to my taste.

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 24
I think the ease of modding is why few leave them stock.

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 24
Some guys reported that they can make the t50rp sound as good as the 650's when modded. Im curious about that. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 24
I really did, they need a super powerful amp to sound their fullest and strongest, I used them off of a WOO2 and a Peach Tree iDeco amp and it was wonderful. They are great for classical and have a very big soundstage. But straight out of an mp3 player I thought they were pretty bad. These are just mod bait, fairly cheep, easy to get and mod, and react very well to different and simplistic mods. Out of a powerful amp they sounded pretty good with rock

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 24
They aren't terrible stock.  They are used in tons of studios for a reason.

That said, a few really minor mods really make a big difference, on a level that's pretty rare.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 24
I do. They are excellent for the money if you amp them properly.

I also am very wary of "modders" claiming to put them on par with a HD-650, or as i've heard claimed, a LCD-2.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
I do. They are excellent for the money if you amp them properly.

That's what I like to hear.  As funds permit, I'll need to consider a pair.  When I listen to my Grados as I go to sleep, my wife doesn't like hearing my music, too.  Ironically, today I was at work with the modified Grados cranking along and my FiiO E11 ran out of juice.  I then plugged in the headphones directly to the Walkman ... and, things just were not as fun as a few moments before.

Amping is always about power.  Rather,  providing current for the drivers to operate properly is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back