Anybody else interested in math?
Jul 19, 2005 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

fante7

500+ Head-Fier
There have to be other math people on here. Come on, show yourselves
cool.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 54
argh . . . I hate math. It's responsible for me not being able to walk across the stage with my friends. I used to think I was proficient, til I it slapped me around with its pimp cane. (you know when you take a test and assume you'll get an A or soemthing only to get back a C/D? Yeah, I got that alot in algebra)

Now study hall and lunch during senior year, those were good. Nothing but chatting with the guys, flirting with the girls, and watching people kick each other's arses.

But if it's your thing, that's cool. Not to menntion I've seen some really cute math babes. You guys are lucky.

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 54
Under the computer scientist attire, I'm a mathematician/logician at heart. Was a TA for Operations Research as an undergrad, and a TA for Analysis of Algorithms and Computer Graphics as a grad student.

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 54
I was and remain, very interested in avoiding mathematics and all related subjects. The only courses I hated more were spanish and speech, but atleast I could manage decent grades. Math is more of a foreign language to me than latin, and I consider myself very lucky to have ever passed a math course on any level.

Funny thing is, as bad as I was at mathematics, my younger brother was worse, and when he failed his regents exam, I was his tutor. He retook it and passed with an 87, so perhaps I have a hidden knack for it, densely overshadowed by extreme hatred and loathing.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 54
I liked math! I have proof too: in college I took math classes as my free electives - the kind of stuff math majors take (I was a comp sci major). Hmm, the toughest classes I took were called Vector & Parallel Scientific Computing (it was a math course through and through - taught by the Math department, tons of proofs, a little computer programming) and Numerical Analysis . Plus I took a couple extra calculus classes that weren't required for my major - they were't too hard or stimulating though. I also took a graduate level computer graphics course that had some reasonably difficult math - and the computer science theory classes were great! Lots of proofs and discrete math in those 3 comps sci classes! Damn I love proofs...

These days I don't do any cool math for my job. I can feel the math leaking out of my head every day, and it's been like 4 years since college. I feel like a less complete person for it, and I'm too lazy to pursue knowledge on my own
frown.gif

Now I've always sorta sucked at arithmetic, but that doesn't count...

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 54
I had algebra through calculus in high school and a semester of calculus (so far) in college. I like math enough. Most of the higher level stuff isn't really that practical (for the most part) for most people. I got bumped up ye olde math ladder as I kept taking the next math class in the progression. No one said to me, "Lad! Take math classes. You've an aptitude for it, my good fellow."

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 54
I'm not particularly good at math unless it pertains to signal processing. I can hold my own though. I do find it awesomely amazing in it's intricacies and am constantly amazed by it's relationship to nature and basically everything else.

edit: I've never been accused of being a linguist either
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
I do find it awesomely amazing in it's intricacies and am constantly amazed by it's relationship to nature and basically everything else.

I too find this extremely interesting. I always have to sit and wonder for a while about little things I see everyday and how people have applied mathematics to create things with such intricacy. Just the other day, my calculus instructor was showing us the calculations that were used to find the proper curve for a power line. Kinda makes me wonder why we are always trying to fit a function to everything we see. Simply amazing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
I don't hate it
tongue.gif

Doing measure theory right now.

\
mmmm, good stuff. Borel sets! We like logic and topology. Analysis isn't so bad either.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 54
Count me in. I love math. I found it pretty intimidating in high school, but it really grew on me in college, especially statistics (how fun) and physics. I also enjoy reading about math advances and famous personalities, especially physics, cosmology and physicists. I hope one day to have time to more fully explore the fascinating world of math.

-coma

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 54
Where would the world be without math? I am sure headphones would not be around. And music, that's a pretty mathematical business.

I went all the way and got a B.S. in this silly thing.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 54
I'll graduate next spring with a BS (math and economics). The bulk of my upper level background is in mathematical statistics and much of what I am taking next year is applied statistics (in the statistics and economics [econometrics] departments).

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 54
Nice, I am happy with the responses so far.

Myself, I am an undergraduate math major with interests in algebra and topology. I'm taking commutative algebra next semester. I don't care about applications of what I'm doing
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back