Anybody else interested in math?
Jul 19, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #31 of 54
I love math, and am good at when I know what I'm doing. And if I'm motivated. My current problem is a lack of motivation (homeschooled - plus, technically, I graduated. I don't count half-way through Alegbra 2 as graduated, but apparently the powers that be do), and a lack of knowledge. I really need to find a mentor, sit down, and do it every single day. It was great fun when I understood all of it. I still love geometry, as that's one thing I retained most of the knowledge for.

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #32 of 54
I've been known to dabble in math every day or so, I kinda like it, yeah lots
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #33 of 54
I was on math team in middle and high school. Never got too great at it, though, but I enjoyed the tournaments. Now college-level stuff (multivariable calc. and up) doesn't interest me. So my math skills will end at single-variable calculus. Good day!

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Ugh...math. Math was the reason I switched into IT after a semester of Computer Science.

Welcome to the [size=medium]I T[/size]ried club!

Even though I received the math and science award in highschool, I still dropped out of engineering in college. I may pursue a degree in math or science in the next few years, but never engineering.

edit: grammar
rolleyes.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I was on math team in middle and high school. Never got too great at it, though, but I enjoyed the tournaments. Now college-level stuff (multivariable calc. and up) doesn't interest me. So my math skills will end at single-variable calculus. Good day!

College math isn't all about calculus. In fact, multi variate calc isn't all too different from calc1, just more linear algebra, and coordinate systems to learn.

Beyond calculus you can look into some very interesting math, which pretty much didn't have me liking math until i found out about it.

Calculus alone without a purpose is rather dry and boring. Math gets fun when you go off into abstraction.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #36 of 54
I definitely loved the proofs the best, whether it was geometery, calculus, algebra.... The act of absolutely PROVING something with only very base, remote, and obvious postulates took typical arguments and debates to an entirely new level. I love to be proven wrong, if it can actually be PROVED.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
College math isn't all about calculus. In fact, multi variate calc isn't all too different from calc1, just more linear algebra, and coordinate systems to learn.

Beyond calculus you can look into some very interesting math, which pretty much didn't have me liking math until i found out about it.

Calculus alone without a purpose is rather dry and boring. Math gets fun when you go off into abstraction.

I know, but I'm just saying, multivariable is prerequisite for other math courses at my college. So it ends there. And I never was interested in abstraction.
frown.gif

I have many academic interests, but I just found I have a bigger passion for biology and comparatively none for math.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I know, but I'm just saying, multivariable is prerequisite for other math courses at my college. So it ends there. And I never was interested in abstraction.
frown.gif

I have many academic interests, but I just found I have a bigger passion for biology and comparatively none for math.

Take this blue pill and see how deep the truth goes, or take this red pill and wakeup ; )

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #39 of 54
I love science and math.

Engineering Mathematics & Statistics and Applied Mathematics reporting in from UC Berkeley!

I love working on engineering aspects of everything... from mechanical to electrical, hence I'm in the engineering college.

Nevertheless, math is like a religion to me.

Here's a little joke:

Biologists answer only to chemists.
Chemists answer only to physicists.
Physicists answer only to mathematicians.
Mathematicians answer only to God.

600smile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #40 of 54
Being a Structural/Civil Engineer, I have to be good in math. I took Cal. 1 to Cal. 3, Advanced Matrix, and Diff. Eq. in college. I spent most of my time during my master degree deriving Structural Engineer related equations. I found Structural Dynamics to be the most difficult.

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Biologists answer only to chemists.
Chemists answer only to physicists.
Physicists answer only to mathematicians.
Mathematicians answer only to God.

similarly, from a scientists point of view

At university, biology becomes chemistry, chemistry becomes physics, physics becomes maths, and maths becomes impossible

Why do Americans INSIST on calling it math, it's so much nicer to say mathS?! It's one of those things that really annoys me...

I quite enjoy maths, it's hard work at first but when you start to see how bits link together, it becomes much more interesting.

Jul 20, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Take this blue pill and see how deep the truth goes, or take this red pill and wakeup ; )

lol, nice try!!!

Jul 20, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #43 of 54
I enjoy reading maths but I'm lousy at solving it.

I found linear algebra really cool, but I still got a D. D for Deserved it, I lacked motivation.

It was fun playing with matrices, especially all the little tricks you can do. Determinants, eigenvalues, eigenspaces.. Row reducing. heh.

Calculus gives me cold shivers still. My algebra really lets me down, and now i'm doing a Japanese major / music minor and trying to hide from the crazy Japanophiles (the ones that know everything about japan and don't hesitate to prove your ass wrong at any chance they get..)

I don't know which is least fun, boring papers on atomic bombs, pop culture and bad things in a part of China a few decades ago, or eigenvalues and integration with a lecturer whose pace when compared to that Nasa jet which made mach 6, doesn't really seem a lot slower. You had woosh over your head, I had a sonic boom.

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #44 of 54
I've loved every math class I've taken so far except linear algebra. That stuff is way too abstract, and my professor really sucked. Right now I'm loving multivariable/vector calculus, but there's one thing that really confuses me. When you do a single integral over a one-variable function, you find the area under the curve. When you do a double integral over a two-variable function, you find the volume between two surfaces. And when you do a triple integral over a three-variable function, what the hell ARE you finding? It has to be some sort of volume, obviously, but I really have no idea how to think about 4-dimensional spaces.

I still have to take diffeq in the fall, I hope that goes well.

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by djgustashaw
When you do a single integral over a one-variable function, you find the area under the curve. When you do a double integral over a two-variable function, you find the volume between two surfaces. And when you do a triple integral over a three-variable function, what the hell ARE you finding? It has to be some sort of volume, obviously, but I really have no idea how to think about 4-dimensional spaces.

I still have to take diffeq in the fall, I hope that goes well.

One application of triple integrals over a 3-var function is to find some cumulative value over a 3D object for a property that's dependant on volume and location within the object. For example: calculating the total mass for an object with non-uniform density. Or finding the center of gravity for said object. Or cacluating the thermal energy contained within an object with a non-uniform temperature. Of course, these properties (mass or thermal energy per unit volume at any given point) have to be definable by a 3-var function.

btw I went to GT too
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back