Anybody else interested in math?
Jul 20, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #47 of 54
it seem many people here are good at math which really relate to the fact that this website is all about technology and advance stuff.

if i have to choose, i'll take a gun to the head over math. i am so bad at math i dont make careful calculated decision. therefor its not good for me to handle money and i ended up very broke since joining this forum. i like intangble, undefined, and curvy things.

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i like intangble, undefined, and curvy things.

So do mathematicians!
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Here's a little joke:

Biologists answer only to chemists.
Chemists answer only to physicists.
Physicists answer only to mathematicians.
Mathematicians answer only to God.

mmm, math jokes.

An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician are all staying in separate rooms in a hotel. A small fire breaks out in each room.

The engineer wakes up, fills the ice bucket full of water, douses the fire, and goes back to sleep.

The physicist wakes up, calculates the amount of heat in the fire, fills the bucket with exactly enough water, douses it, and goes back to sleep.

The mathematician wakes up, sees the empty bucket and the water tap, says "aha, a solution exists!", and goes back to sleep.

yay bad math humor!
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #50 of 54
What a lot of people don't realize about math is that math is not simply arithmetic. The interesting parts of math have nothing to do with calculating things.

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
mmm, math jokes.
The mathematician wakes up, sees the empty bucket and the water tap, says "aha, a solution exists!", and goes back to sleep.

yay bad math humor!
tongue.gif

Good stuff, one of my favorites was posted by Arzela a while back.

A plane carrying a group of Polish mathematicians crashed recently. A review of the black box revealed that there were too many Poles on the right hand side of the plane.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #52 of 54
Think of triple integral just as a summation over a region. It's not a volume, but now whenever you fix a variable you can take a partial integral and find a volume. This volume varies over the fixed place and constantly dependant on whatever place you fix. This makes it many volumes, does that make sense?

Have you ever seen contour diagrams yet?

Not everything can be understood geometically. There are planes wrapped around axis and each time you add more dimensions, you wrap them around somethign else. You can take a slice and deal with it in a geometrical way that makes sense on pen and paper, but to understand more abstract coordinate systems, they have other systems you learn about like
spherical coordinate systems, polar coordinates, and something else. There are programs like maple you can use, or ti 89 to take complicated graphs and take a contour diagram to understand how when like z values you change the 2 variable equation changes. It gets kind of complicated.

You can move things around between systems, and i think you use the jacobian to do that, though i am a bit rusty with multi variate stuff.

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #53 of 54
Those of you that love math and are good at it, you're lucky!
Those of you that hate math, and dont care for it, or suck at it, you're lucky!

I love math, I just can't do any of it.
I've been smacked around by each and every type of math course available!

I love logic courses though, especially the computer science theoretical logic courses, and do relatively well in them.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #54 of 54
Well, it's not like you can avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back