Anybody else interested in math?
Jul 19, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Math is more of a foreign language to me than latin, and I consider myself very lucky to have ever passed a math course on any level.

I feel your pain. I hated math throughout high school because none of the teachers made it fun, and I was dreading having to take it in college. However, when I finally found the courage to take the class, I actually didn't mind it because the professor made it interesting and yes, kind of fun. I also kind of enjoyed statistics, but not the exams
eek.gif
That is the extent of my college math experience, well, except for chemistry, but that's a whole different story.

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #17 of 54
mmmmmmmm, math... better than donuts.

I'm mostly a statistics and discrete math person myself. I would have done a LOT more math if someone had bothered to tell me earlier in my undergrad how much other cool math there is which isn't fundamentally calculus. Man, I hated vector calc. Diffeq. wasn't too bad, but by then I was burned out... until I started taking probability and stat and running into all this discrete math on the way in programming. Fun stuff--as is my normal routine, I'll be teaching stats this fall...

Proofs, on the other hand, those I can live without. Bleah.

eek.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #18 of 54
I used to like math back in high school. Two quick semesters of college changed that with Multivar/Diff eq. My opinion seems to be quite common amongst my friends.

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #19 of 54
As a computer engineering major, I had my share of math classes (4 calculus, 1 discrete, 1 probability, 1 linear algebra, and several others). Enough to get a minor in it with my master's degree.

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #20 of 54
Ugh...math. Math was the reason I switched into IT after a semester of Computer Science. That was probably the best decision I've ever made, because right now I'm a year away from finishing school and the career path is looking good
biggrin.gif

But man...two of my roomates were Math majors. I remember their senior year all they would do is work on problems together on a white board downstairs. They didn't even have numbers...ok...who the hell does math problems without numbers? Not this guy, that's for damn sure.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
There have to be other math people on here. Come on, show yourselves
cool.gif

me, i like math alot.

I want to learn more about abstract algebra. Polynomials etc.

Not really into geometry, though i like geometry when used for stuff like proving symmetries and permutations. I only know basic undergrad level, but took a pretty serious interest after taking an applied algebra class and learning about some cool abstract algebra/number theory stuff. Particularly russel's paradox is really cool.

Edit in: Everyone hates math at first, it's very challenging, but once the techinicalities become trivial, it's a very rewarding and curious study on
very elegant and bueatiful patterns we have in nature. Not trying to make it philosphical, but it's pretty cool when anything in very abstract physics can be modelled with math stuff.

I'm taking an AI class right now, it's pretty boring, but she's going into fuzzy logic and rough sets, the very beginings of I.S, thaddy you'd be suprised how much this is all in the same vein.

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
I am doing VCE maths (high school - Autralia) at the moment. And i love it.

Calculas has to be my favourite, d(sin(x))/dx = cos(x).

Genious!

Rob.

Rob,

wait until you start proving all that stuff once you take an analysis course, you will be in heaven ; )

Jul 19, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #24 of 54
Oh math, you cause me such confusion.

I used to love you, back in the day, back before you became wholly uninteresting and tedious. Not hard, just tedious and uninteresting. I grew to hate you, oh yes, I did.

Then calculus started, though, and you became more interesting! Still somewhat annoying, yes, but interesting! I still want to beat you over the head sometimes, but not as often.

However, now I begin to fear for my life. I'm afraid for my future. You're interesting, yes, but I'm afraid to be tied to you for years yet. Learning about your intimate secrets is not yet something I look forward to.

I'm sorry math, but we shall see, we shall see...

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #25 of 54
I like math a lot -- I'm not particularly great at it, but hey, I still appreciate it. One of my favorite classes I ever took was a combinatorics class. That type of math and problem solving really appeals to me. I wished I'd realized that "math" is not the same as "math class" while I was younger and gotten a good foundation in it while I had the opportunity.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #26 of 54
I am an undergrad with an undecided major. But I am really interested math. Learning that group theory and complex numbers (not to mention 10 dimensional geometry) can be found in nature was enough that I am going to try and take some upper level courses no matter my major. At the very least I need to take Numerical and Real Analysis.

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #27 of 54
I am somewhat of a math geek given my electrical engineering background, but I even like to pursue mathematics intellectually outside of school. My main interests are probability, chaos theory, and prime numbers, which are rather dense subjects. Can't get into them too much while I'm still finishing my degree, though.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back