Anybody else has a love/hate relationship with Beyer 990
Sep 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #17 of 42
  Slightly off topic..

Would a 600ohm DT990 driver fit in a DT990 250ohm premium?

... I would think so... and that would be most epic! 

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #18 of 42
Planning to replace them because I can't get rid of hairs stuck inside the diaphragm which causes rattling when there's sub bass present in the audio, I actually got these off a member here a week ago. 
ph34r.gif
 I guess I learned my lesson this time for about $200(shipping incl.), no more second hands for me
wink_face.gif

No warranty since I didn't get a receipt, I called up Beyer and they said 250 and 600ohm drivers cost the same so I might as well 'upgrade' them to 600ohm.

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #19 of 42
  Planning to replace them because I can't get rid of hairs stuck inside the diaphragm which causes rattling when there's sub bass present in the audio, I actually got these off a member here a week ago. 
ph34r.gif
 I guess I learned my lesson this time for about $200(shipping incl.), no more second hands for me
wink_face.gif

No warranty since I didn't get a receipt, I called up Beyer and they said 250 and 600ohm drivers cost the same so I might as well 'upgrade' them to 600ohm.

WHAT dude that is NOT cool. Your Buyer needs to refund you ASAP. At least half. Dude do not write off buying here at head fi just because a new member did not take the best of care of the headphone. Trust me, I sold a can on eBay and well it smelled like my sweaty head [I never noticed because well it was my own funk] That said before I shipped it... yea I cleaned it but I didn't realize it had funk [it was A sony XB 700... those BIG pleather pillows SOAKED up some sweat] that said, I had to and OFFERED to refund my buyer 50% [and he kept the can]

So please work with you buyer to get a partial refund, and if he doesn't give you anything... then negative feed back him and hope he learns not to sell something that has a defect in it like that -.- 

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #21 of 42
I just opened a case on ebay and asked him to refund two thirds of the new drivers, which is around $150 ($155 Actually).

FAK!!!! you can buy a brand new set for less then $150, what a bum deal man.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-PRO-Open-Back-Headphones-DT990-Pro-Extended-Warranty-/310738150681?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item48596fe519

That's why I hate buying used stuff, even here. People want WAY to much for used stuff, when new with full warranty is sometimes cheaper or just a few dollars more.

Unreal!!!

Edit, I see it was a premium model, but still what a load!!!

Well if the drivers fit you could just buy a pro and have some new spare parts?? just a thought??

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 42
  I want 600ohm drivers and the pro only has 250ohms, plus I'm not sure if the pro's driver housing is the same as the premium's

Wait this was on EBAY, yea go after him... you don't do that on eBay. At least here your saving enough money to put up with a little silly ness every now and then

but on EBAY... get you money dawg! Keep yo pimp hand strong! [jk don't use violence please] but you get the idea

and try it! At the very WORST you might be able to sell... everything and just buy a Used 600 ohm here on head fi, AND Oh WAIT WAIT WAIT

There is actually a Dt 880 PRO 600 ohm, so the driver may fit. There is some site in Asia that sells new IN box Official Beyer Pro 600 ohms, and honestly I like teh Build of the pro MUCH more tahn the Premium. The pro was much more comfy imo [my Preuim head band leaves some kind of sticky goop on my head, in addition the sliders for the cups them selvs... look nice but I miss the tough tactility of the Pro Headband] 

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #24 of 42

Classical is like a Tenderloin steak, VERY tender and VERY mild in flavor. The Tenderloin is the KING of steaks but it actually does not have a lot of "Flavor" it has however an extrodinary texture and smell, so Classical like that tenderloin is a PERFECT balance of elements, the individual parts are pointless. It's the combination of elements that makes it divine! So you want as PURE a sound as possible, or going back to that tenderloin, you want the PERFECT cook and season on it!

Now music like... Techno is like a good HamBurger! Your going to start with a nice Angus Patty [93/7 meat to fat ratio] cook it nicely then LOAD it with some TOPPING, onions, mushrooms, swiss cheese ect... ect... that burger CAN be enjoyed as the Sum of Parts or individually, when a little piece of satueed mushroom falls off... you EAT it and it's EPIC. So that music sounds nice in a more colored can, like the burger which is a BOLD mix of elements, for me Techno is enjoyable "all in one bite" and "as pieces of the whole" so the extra bit of color let's me really Focus in on one or two elements, Like getting a nice bit of burger with a little extra swiss cheese, or getting a mouth full of cheese shrooms and onions *mouth waters*

Do you have a post more suitable for a vegetarian?  
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #25 of 42

biggrin.gif

*hands you a AD 700* there you go

Uhh a post for veggies... yes I do! 

A good clean headphone is like... a shallot. A delicate mix of the sweet flavor of garlic, and the layered KICK of an onion, yes that's right garlic... and when you cook garlic it reallly does get sweet, so like the Clean neutral headphone, when you cook her, or amp her she can get very sweet and wonderful! While still layered and energetic. ANd ofc the best thing to cook a shallot in is some sweet cream butter [non that fake margine crap] and a fine white wine... kinda like the wine is ur dac and the butter is ur Amp. The 3 together are blissfully refined! 

Now the colored headphone is like...Kumquat! There are two parts to it, the skin and the flesh! Kumquats are LOVE or hate, as the skin is SWEET and the flesh is SOUR. So like Kumquats some people LOVE the colored headphones, they can enjoy both the sweet and the sour, and other's do not 

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #27 of 42
  I just opened a case on ebay and asked him to refund two thirds of the new drivers, which is around $150 ($155 Actually).

Glad I did not bid on those. Sorry to hear you got shafted, you should file an ebay claim, and call him out on here, as he promised you these were the correct units

biggrin.gif

I got some AD700s for sale :)
  I hate kumquats. 
tongue.gif

Especially when they open their mouths. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #28 of 42
The seller offered me a $100 refund which was what I requested!

For those who are curious to what the rattle sounds like, this is what I recorded for the seller
https://soundcloud.com/eltont/dt-990-bass-rattle
Here's the original track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkHMxBALz-8

It's worse irl because the mic was placed at least 10 times the distance from the microphone than my ears.
I kept trying to upload the same track recorded from my 770s for a comparison but the recording was too clean to pass through the copyright analyzer.
beyersmile.png

and sorry for derailing the thread.

Back on topic,

I like the soundstage on the dt990, it's almost as wide as my hd598's. The details in music are clearer and more present, some say it sounds artificial and fatiguing but not for me. After listening to them for a few days I had to go back to my 598s (because i had to send my 990 in to replace the drivers^) most instruments and some vocals sounded like something was masking them, I guess now I know what the sennheiser veil is or it's just me getting used to the 990's elevated treble. 
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #29 of 42
  The seller offered me a $100 refund which was what I requested!

For those who are curious to what the rattle sounds like, this is what I recorded for the seller
https://soundcloud.com/eltont/dt-990-bass-rattle
It's worse irl because the mic was placed at least 10 times the distance from the microphone than my ears.
I kept trying to upload the same track recorded from my 770s for a comparison but the recording was too clean to pass through the copyright analyzer.
beyersmile.png

and sorry for derailing the thread.

Back on topic,

I like the soundstage on the dt990, it's almost as wide as my hd598's. The details in music are clearer and more present, some say it sounds artificial and fatiguing but not for me. After listening to them for a few days I had to go back to my 598s (because i had to send my 990 in to replace the drivers^) most instruments and some vocals sounded like something was masking them, I guess now I know what the sennheiser veil is or it's just me getting used to the 990's elevated treble. 
tongue.gif

nah it's the senn hesier veil ;3, nice song btw... and to my ears I heard something off about it, but having never heard the song I couldn't tell if it was the driver or the song... but it did rattle, and it wasn't like a wobble 

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #30 of 42
Man if you think the 598s have "The Senn Veil" stop right there and NEVER try any other Senns, the 598 is the cleanest sounding Senn IMO.. if those are veiled run away now!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back