anybody else getting excited for the release of the RSA RAPTOR?
Mar 20, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #62 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The JAN philips 5687's are not very good sounding tubes. In fact, they were the worst sounding 5687's I have used. The tung sol / raytheon D getter 5687's, sylvania gold brand 5687 and raytheon O getter 5687wa (mine are from 1958) are the best sounding I tried. The run of the mill mid 1960's tung sol/ raytheon O getter 5687wa's are still way better than the philips tubes. The RCA 5687's are a nice tube if you want a richer more relaxed sound and are a nice change of pace to the other 5687's. The std sylvania 5687 and JAN GE 5687wa's I have used are a little brightish and thin sounding but still serviceable. The 5687 is an excellent tube, in general, but the best ones are quite special IMO.

Check out Joes tube lore on audio asylum for comments on the 12au7/ 12ax7 series of tubes. Most 12au7's are not good sounding tubes so arm yourself with knowledge before you buy.
wink.gif

edit: I forgot to say TTVJ told me the raptor will likely sell for $1195.

I am a loss to understand how you can comment on the sound of any tube independent of the amp that it was auditioned in. The criticism of a tube type and indirectly of any amp that uses them reeks of an agenda on your part since I am sure you have not auditioned the Raptor.

Mar 20, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I am a loss to understand how you can comment on the sound of any tube independent of the amp that it was auditioned in. The criticism of a tube type and indirectly of any amp that uses them reeks of an agenda on your part since I am sure you have not auditioned the Raptor.

I concur. I have heard that tubes may sound differently according to the topology of the circuit. I have heard the tung sols and sylvanias on the raptor, and why they do sound good, albeit a little too heavy and forward for my tastes, i still think the philips was the best choice on Mr. Samuel's behalf for his raptor

Mar 20, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #65 of 91
Quote:

As a general rule I've tried to stay away from the (I had thought fading) amp wars, but I have to go with John on this one.

Mar 20, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #66 of 91
I stumbled upon this thread late, but I just wanted to throw in my vote for eliminating the blue LED. It would completely overpower the tube glow. Either go with a red LED or skip the LED illumination entirely.

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #69 of 91
Quote:

I am at a loss as to how this is a criticism of the amp as I was talking about the tubes. I am very familiar with the 5687 and suggesting potentially better tubes to try will only what.... make the amp sound better? Amp wars... agenda, your ridiculous. The referance to Joe's tube lore so you dont buy any underperforming, overpriced 12au7's is a disservice.
rolleyes.gif
Having used every 5687 in existance why cant I comment on their performance?

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #70 of 91
I think that people are getting a little sensitive here, sacdlover was just offering his opinions on the tube choice for the amp. Take it as such.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I stumbled upon this thread late, but I just wanted to throw in my vote for eliminating the blue LED. It would completely overpower the tube glow. Either go with a red LED or skip the LED illumination entirely.

Thats true Wodgy, at day light it looks cool, but at night it robs the warmth & the glow of the tubes away & does not match with it, so final dicision is made that the color of LED circle around the volume knob & on the power supply will be RED in color.
thanks.
Ray Samuels

Mar 21, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I am at a loss as to how this is a criticism of the amp as I was talking about the tubes. I am very familiar with the 5687 and suggesting potentially better tubes to try will only what.... make the amp sound better? Amp wars... agenda, your ridiculous. The referance to Joe's tube lore so you dont buy any underperforming, overpriced 12au7's is a disservice.
rolleyes.gif
Having used every 5687 in existance why cant I comment on their performance?

You are free to comment, however, I find it strange that no mention is made in any other recent posts you have made about the shortcomings of certain 5687's. Instead you wait until a thread related to an amp you have never heard to drop your comments.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...12&postcount=4

Or here where you recommend an amp with the 5687's again no mention of the shortcomings of any particular tube.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...2&postcount=10

You can roll your eyes all you want and if it were the first time you have crapped on a thread from this manufacturer I would have let it pass. I never mentioned "amp wars" nor did I ever call you a shill.

If you were so concerned for potential tube buyers why wait until now to bring it up?

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #73 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
owned.jpg
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Well Billy.... I wondered how you afforded all your grados.

To John,

Why comment now? I find it hard to comment before I read the posts today.

Why would I comment until I read the tube compliment post in this thread? If no one has any interest in the tube whats the point. This amp and the one I have are the only two that use the 5687 I know about.

My amp was a special order so why get specific about an amp only I have. The threads you link to mention I like the tung sols and in the other thread I recommend asking about the 5687. Is that any different than I stated here? In this thread I expounded on pretty much every 5687 manufactured as I own them all and have auditioned them all.

Why would I bring up a bad sounding tube? I would recommend the good ones not dwell on the poor sounding ones; which I did. Is the standard course of operation to only say dont buy a sovtek 6sn7 or is it to say to look for the tung sol 6sn7 black glass round plate etc.etc. If my post was a thread crap I wish they all had as much useful information as mine did.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #74 of 91
Quote:

I never mentioned "amp wars" nor did I ever call you a shill.

"The criticism of a tube type and indirectly of any amp that uses them reeks of an agenda on your part..."

Close enough.

Thread crap my eye - you're way out of line John JCB. How you can twist sacd lover's very informative post on the sound of the various 12au7 and 5687 tube brands into being an attack on the Raptor is beyond me, and you owe sacd lover an apology.
And yes I have heard the Raptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back