anybody else getting excited for the release of the RSA RAPTOR?
Mar 20, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #47 of 91
Ray - would it be possible to have a "color selection" option during checkout? You can offer three colors - Blue, Green, Red and let the user pick and choose. All you have to do is use that color, match with the serial number and basically setup a system with Todd that ensures that the right amp gets to the right buyer.

I think it is possible and it will be awesome!

Alternatively - offer all three different color LEDs in the package
smily_headphones1.gif
Customer can "LED ROLL" just like tuberolling or op-amp rolling
tongue.gif

HEH!
eggosmile.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #48 of 91
Posted earlier in this thread:

“2 5687's and 1 12au7 for the input/gain, all military spec JAN Philips black plates”

Also someone (who was not Ray Samuels) mentioned $900-$1200.

Is there any real information about this amp? Rays site doesn’t list anything as far as I could see. When will it be available, how much, headphone drive capability, design philosophy, etc?

Keep up the good work Ray. Any Pre-Order deals?

Mitch

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #49 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver

“2 5687's and 1 12au7 for the input/gain, all military spec JAN Philips black plates”

Is there any real information about this amp? Rays site doesn’t list anything as far as I could see. When will it be available, how much, headphone drive capability, design philosophy, etc?

Mitch

From what I've picked up:

I think they are trying to keep the price to around half of the Stealth price or less.

It should drive everything well but the exception may be the K1000.

It's release is at hand. Anytime now or so I'm led to believe.

As for pre-orders, I think Ray has a waiting list. I'm number 11 and no, number 1 hasn't received his yet but he's expecting it very soon or at least he's hopeful.

As for the design philosophy, Ray will have to step in there. A couple who have heard it have made comments that it's basically the Stealth without the pre-amp capability. Obviously, the build quality will be everything we've come to expect from Ray.

If I've given inaccurate info, I hope someone will set the record straight.

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #50 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
2 5687's and 1 12au7 for the input/gain, all military spec JAN Philips black plates

The JAN philips 5687's are not very good sounding tubes. In fact, they were the worst sounding 5687's I have used. The tung sol / raytheon D getter 5687's, sylvania gold brand 5687 and raytheon O getter 5687wa (mine are from 1958) are the best sounding I tried. The run of the mill mid 1960's tung sol/ raytheon O getter 5687wa's are still way better than the philips tubes. The RCA 5687's are a nice tube if you want a richer more relaxed sound and are a nice change of pace to the other 5687's. The std sylvania 5687 and JAN GE 5687wa's I have used are a little brightish and thin sounding but still serviceable. The 5687 is an excellent tube, in general, but the best ones are quite special IMO.

Check out Joes tube lore on audio asylum for comments on the 12au7/ 12ax7 series of tubes. Most 12au7's are not good sounding tubes so arm yourself with knowledge before you buy.
wink.gif

edit: I forgot to say TTVJ told me the raptor will likely sell for $1195.

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #51 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver

Mitch

Ray has loaned the prototype to me for a period of 2 weeks, with the purpose of writing a review. Everything that i have said is an echo of what Mr. Samuels has told me before-hand - the prototype that i have right now is according to Mr. Samuels going to be the actual production model - sorry about the pics, but the tubes are clearly 5687's and a 12au7 for the gain, JAN Philips black plate.

I said that chassis was going to be black anodized with a gold silkscreening with clear anodized for the side rails, which is exactly what Mr. Samuels confirmed previously.

To confrim as well, there are clearly two inputs on the back of the raptor, if you would like a picture as well please request so.

I have heard the tung sol's, as well as the sylvania's and raytheons, and i will not say much now about those tube-rolling impressions, but there is a reason why he chose the philips, and i would right off the bat make my first claim that the stock tubes sound amazing, and are my tubes of choice compared to the tung sols and sylvania's.

5687's in general were a very good decision on Mr. Samuels part, and are a much better tube to use than something like a 6cg7 or 6sn7

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #52 of 91
Well, I can tell already that I'm gonna be dropping some serious $$ on tubes shortly. Wonder if it's too early to start asking for suggestions for some special glowies that I can roll in my Raptor?
icon10.gif

I've been browsing the thread on favorite tube sites in anticipation of getting some. With this being my first trip down tube lane, I'm gonna need a LOT of advice and hand-holding as I learn. Wonder if Ray is going to include a manual or perhaps a list of do's and don'ts with the raptor?

Okay, let's have some suggestions on tubes I should try out with the Raptor.

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #54 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Well, I can tell already that I'm gonna be dropping some serious $$ on tubes shortly. Wonder if it's too early to start asking for suggestions for some special glowies that I can roll in my Raptor?
icon10.gif

I've been browsing the thread on favorite tube sites in anticipation of getting some. With this being my first trip down tube lane, I'm gonna need a LOT of advice and hand-holding as I learn. Wonder if Ray is going to include a manual or perhaps a list of do's and don'ts with the raptor?

Okay, let's have some suggestions on tubes I should try out with the Raptor.

THe tung sol's will get you a heavier and more forward sound, its really exciting, Mr. Samuels and bhd812 prefer that one. 5814's can be subbed for the 12au7, the sylvania gold brand 5814WA will give you a nice forwardness with a warm midrange, a very typical sylvania house sound comparable to some of the 5751's i use currently. Dennis from chimer labs suggests using a 5963 in place of a 12au7, but its a little more linear sounding, coming from an HR-2 owner i would say your good with the stock or a 5814.

Honestly, i would suggest you wait a little while for tube rolling - i bet you loved the HR-2 and the stock raptor is the epitome of what the HR-2 is all about. The HR-2 is full bodied and harmonically rich, an amazing feat for a solid state amp; however, the raptor achieves an effortless sense of harmonic fullness, bloom, and an organic quality to the sound that really shows you why tubes can shine over SS.

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #55 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Ray has loaned the prototype to me for a period of 2 weeks, with the purpose of writing a review.

How did you luck out and manage this?

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #56 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek
How did you luck out and manage this?

Hah! Ray offered me this unit if I'm not mistaken....of course, the word "rent" was mentioned so that ruined the mood for me.
tongue.gif

There are a couple of fortunate souls who live in Ray's vicinity who get the benefit of location. No waiting for Mr. UPS for them.
frown.gif
They just drive on over to Ray's and get their gear nice and easy like. Poor stiffs like me just sit around listening to their Karma/RS-1 setup and continually check their emails hoping for a notice from Ray that their amp is finally ready and he wants payment. <switches back to the yahoo tab to check real quick like>. Crap...still nothing from Ray. Wonder if he lost my email address?
confused.gif

Dazed and disappointed, I continue to patiently wait.....loyal to the end...but still ampless!

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #57 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Hah! Ray offered me this unit if I'm not mistaken....of course, the word "rent" was mentioned so that ruined the mood for me.
tongue.gif

There are a couple of fortunate souls who live in Ray's vicinity who get the benefit of location. No waiting for Mr. UPS for them.
frown.gif
They just drive on over to Ray's and get their gear nice and easy like. Poor stiffs like me just sit around listening to their Karma/RS-1 setup and continually check their emails hoping for a notice from Ray that their amp is finally ready and he wants payment. <switches back to the yahoo tab to check real quick like>. Crap...still nothing from Ray. Wonder if he lost my email address?
confused.gif

Dazed and disappointed, I continue to patiently wait.....loyal to the end...but still ampless!

Hey Ken...
The word "RENT" was just a joke, my freind, hope you did not take it seriously, yes, it was the Raptor that I offered to you, but I never got a reply from you or your shipping address. Sorry....
Ray Samuels

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #59 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Hey Ken...
The word "RENT" was just a joke, my freind, hope you did not take it seriously, yes, it was the Raptor that I offered to you, but I never got a reply from you or your shipping address. Sorry....
Ray Samuels

Ray, just kidding around. I knew you were kidding. Thought the silly smilie would have placed my comments in proper perspective. Just figured that my raptor wouldn't be too far off so there was no reason to trouble you. Appreciate your generosity. Of course, there are times when I really wish I had taken you up on that. Guess I hate the thought of something happening to loaned gear either at my place or in transit. Not so much of an issue if I've bought it but bad thoughts go through my mind when it's someone else's gear.

Perhaps we could apply the "rent" as a discount on the Raptor??
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
PM or email me when you need my address and/or payment. The cash is just a click of PayPal away. Needless to say that I am VERY anxious to try this amp!!

Mar 20, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #60 of 91
If anyone is worried about good sounding 12au7's there is a very strong listing on AA.

My top choices:

CBS/Hytron 7318's (impossible to find, the rarest of the breed, but the best sounding overall, what I and Biggie use in our amps)

CBS/Hytron 5814's (excellent tube, a bit difficult to find, a bit pricey, a few notches below the above)

RCA Cleartop (a nice cheap tube with a fine sparkling mid and treble, strong warm bass, a bit bloated but fun for sure)

Amperex Bugle Boys are another nice one

The Amperex 7316 D getter are another good tube

I tend to stay away from the Telefunkens, I find them thin and bright with a brittle top end. I have also never found a good Mullard, though I realize this was because I was listening to 1980's versions and I should have tried 1960's versions.

The last really elusive tube I hope to try at some point is the CBS/Hyton 7730 D getter. This is said to contend with the 7318's. Not sure about that but it would be fun to give it a go!

There are plenty of good 12au7's out there, just don't settle for second rate tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back