Any suggestions on my weird headphone dilemma?
Sep 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bkord123

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

For the first time in my life, I'm about to spend more than $15 on headphones! But there's a catch: I have to buy them at Amazon because I just got a gift card. Here's the problem:

After researching for weeks, I settled on the Sony MDR-ZX700, but Amazon is out of stock! I will not buy from a 3rd party vendor that Sony doesn't authorize. So I have a couple choices:

A) Wait until Amazon stocks these (I contacted both Sony and Amazon and neither could give me any timeframe. Who knows how long this will last.)

B) Go with one of my other top choices: 1) Sony MDR-V6           2) Audio Technica ATH-M50

I listen to rock/metal/alternative and want a good seal to help keep out ambient noise.

Again, whatever I do, I must buy from Amazon. I can't believe they don't have any. Very frustrating!

Thanks everyone!

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hi everyone.

For the first time in my life, I'm about to spend more than $15 on headphones! But there's a catch: I have to buy them at Amazon because I just got a gift card. Here's the problem:

After researching for weeks, I settled on the Sony MDR-ZX700, but Amazon is out of stock! I will not buy from a 3rd party vendor that Sony doesn't authorize. So I have a couple choices:

A) Wait until Amazon stocks these (I contacted both Sony and Amazon and neither could give me any timeframe. Who knows how long this will last.)

B) Go with one of my other top choices: 1) Sony MDR-V6           2) Audio Technica ATH-M50

I listen to rock/metal/alternative and want a good seal to help keep out ambient noise.

Again, whatever I do, I must buy from Amazon. I can't believe they don't have any. Very frustrating!

Thanks everyone!

Probably the closest to the Sony are the Shure SRH 440.

Beyond that we need to know:

What is your budget?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 10
If it was me, I'd go with the MDR-V6 or wait for your first choice. I haven't heard the ZX700s but I liked the other Sony's better than the AT. But as always, your hearing is different than mine (or anyone else's).

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 10
I'll be plugging them into my Macbook Pro and mostly in a fairly noisy environment. Budget is about 80, so I know the M50s are way above it, but I might be able to stretch it. Let's just go with $80 as my budget. If pressed, I prefer a warmer sound w/ a little heavier bass, but I'm not a basshead. Please excuse my ignorance as this is a whole new world to me. I grew up in the 80s with Walkman headphones so you can imagine my point of reference.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 10
I actually looked at each one and none are authorized. Can you believe that??? And since this is the first "real" set of cans I'll probably ever buy, I'm scared to take a chance on a counterfeit.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I actually looked at each one and none are authorized. Can you believe that??? And since this is the first "real" set of cans I'll probably ever buy, I'm scared to take a chance on a counterfeit.

You can never be 100% sure, but I doubt that they would be counterfit.  Reason #1: these are not "to good to be true" prices.  Reason #2: these are not upline models.

Buying through Amazon gives you some comfort.  I once bought some items (not headphones) from an Amazon third party seller that were almost certainly conterfeit.  When brought to Amazon's attention, things were made right.  In addition, at least a couple of these vendors having lower prices on these cans also have 97% to 100% satisfaction ratings with many customers served.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I forgot to mention, since I'll be listening in locations other than my house, the V6 cord might be too long for me which is why I wanted the ZX700s so bad. Damn it!

Keep in mind, the cord is only 10 ft when extended. I think it's like 4-5 feet when it's not stretched, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 10
normally only super popular headphones have fakes, like beats,(getting flamed on headfi is a bigger concern than worrying about fake beats) other less known to the public ones like sony shure sennheiser grado ath etc, fakes are very unlikely
the only other fake i know is a senn CX 100-II, hardly any others around

as said above, its not 100%, but 99% chance of non counterfeit 

hope this helps^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back