Any portable/full can that sounds like Sennheiser IE8?
Mar 18, 2013 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

egokun

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody.

I am a proud owner of a Sennheiser IE8. I also own three headphones: Audio Technica AD2000, Sennheiser HD 558, and AKG K518 DJ (Euro model of K81, if I'm not mistaken).

As much as I like all of them, the IE8 is my absolute favorite when it comes to PRAT and engaging sound. To my ears the IE8 have superb bass and excellent balance, they are never fatiguing. No other headphone or IEM was ever so much fun to me. It's not the best for critical/analytical listening, but when it comes to just enjoy the music, the IE8 is the best I've found so far.

That said, I have a technical problem with the IE8. I have bruxism (teeth clenching during sleep), so in time it has gotten progressively more difficult to insert and keep IEMs in my ears. With the IE8 I have a very hard time having they stay in my ear canals: after a while, they just slide out enough to lose the seal. I have tried just every tip I could get from Europe, even Meelectronics and Comply tips. Complys do stay in my ears, but I prefer the sound I get with the silicon tips.

So my question is: is there an on-the-ear or over-the-ear headphone that sounds like the IE8, or very close to it? I have briefly auditioned the Senn Amperior in an Apple Store, and it does sound quite like the IE8, but of course an Apple Store is not the ideal environment to test a headphone.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm not strictly looking for a portable can - sound is of the matter here. As for budget, I'm willing to go up to about 300 Euro MSRP.

Thanks for any contribution.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd say stick with the Amperiors, I have the IE80's and Amperiors. Both have decent bass, which I suspect is your comparison between the IE8 and Amp's. funnily enough I tried them in the Apple store too, but with the overwhelming background noise, I wasn't sure too, however I ended up with a pair not long after and have been overwhelmingly pleased with them.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 4
The Pro2900 are pretty good sounding and they offer wide open surround sound type soundstage, crisp clear mids, highs and deep punchy like on IE8. The other headphones like M80, DT990, Sony MA900, D2000 are also close too in term of soundsignature and strong bass presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back