Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Sep 20, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #691 of 876
I ran into the same issue with the adapters I ordered off of eBay; also not long enough to reach the top of my 6BG6 G tubes. I now have to to reorder adapters with longer leads. Could you share where you were able to purchase adapters with longer leads that can reach the top of the 6BG6 G?
Thank you,
Mecii
The ones I ordered were from "vicaudio_1" on ebay. In hindsight 160mm was a bit too big 150mm would be better. No extra cost involved

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #693 of 876
I can't wait to let this thing run in for a couple of weeks, and then start with a few little mods, I have some Black Gate 330mfd@25V caps I'll use for the cathode bypass caps, I'll probably bypass them with a couple of .01mfd Auricaps I have if I don't use Sprague Vitamin Q .012@400V oil caps...I also have some Gudeman .51@300V Vitamin Q type oilers that I may try as coupling caps...

I don't know how far you've got with the mods but I forgot to say I have 2 spare Kaisei 1000uF 25v cathode caps going begging. I know you have caps but these are top notch so if you want drop me a line.

I also have some tubes you might be interested in going cheap.... Amperex 12AX7, Philips Miniwatt 12AX7, TJ Full Music 12AX7 (new issue), Tungsol 12AX7 (new issue), GE 14AF7, Tungsol 14AF7, RCA 14F7, GE 12SL7 and a matched pair of nos Russian 6F6C Kobra's, The Kobras were highly thought of a while back on the thread, they didn't work on my amp, (which has EL84's), also the Tungsol 14AF7 are probably the pick of the bunch! They're no use to me now.

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #695 of 876
Also, I do like some 9pin tubes regardless for signature, but for resolution I still believe the 14type loctals are a bit above and way cheaper.
:)

Yeah, you're right about the 14AF7 type, I have the Tungsol, it is the most resolved of tubes I've tried. I've just gone back to it and I had forgotten how good it was. So it's in my top 3 now with the Philips and the Mazda. These other 2 have qualities that I like though so I can't get rid of any of them, the Mazda with the light and airy treble, and the Philips with the rich tone and layered soundstage. I'ts not quite up to the TS on resolution but very good, but the TS soundstage is more one dimensional I feel, none the less all great tubes, and the Philips is still my fav.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #696 of 876
I just found an article where someone uses a 6L6, is this optimal and is there no issue of harming the amp ? https://www.aradiogurl.net/hhjournal/2016/06/01/gemtune-pa1502a-appj-headphone-tube-amp-mod/
I am using the Gold Lion 6L6 which is the hottest running tube I ever placed on the amp and so far it working fine, but I don't use it more than 2 hrs at a time and the only concern I have is the heat so if you have a nicely cool or vented room it should be ok, but the tube heater current on the standard (not the safer heater current tungsol remake) 6L6 is a bit too high.

I dont care and take my chances because they are my favorites in terms of retaining resolve with having the largest soundstage and also having a good sound.

Edit**
The amp does not get hotter than most tube amps so it still ok.
On other tubes it runs cool.

I still consider the 6bg6g tubes as the most transparent , but second in soundstage.

Hey Baronbeehive, have you ever tried your headphones to the speaker amp version you have?
Just need some speakertaps..

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #697 of 876
I am using the Gold Lion 6L6 which is the hottest running tube I ever placed on the amp and so far it working fine, but I don't use it more than 2 hrs at a time and the only concern I have is the heat so if you have a nicely cool or vented room it should be ok, but the tube heater current on the standard (not tungsol remake) 6L6 is a bit high.
I dont care and take my chances because they are my favorites in terms of retaining resolve with having the largest soundstage and also having a good sound.

I still consider the 6bg6g tubes as the most transparent , but second in soundstage.

Hey Baronbeehive, have you ever tried your headphones to the speaker amp version you have?
Just need some speakertaps..

I came across something a while back about Gold Lion tubes for drivers, so probably 12AX7, are yours the reissues? I think they all are.

I haven't tried it with headphones, there was some issue about how to wire them, I think with an adapter, and ground them which wasn't resolved to my satisfaction so I stayed away!

It would be interesting though, it is so similar in performance to the LD.

Edit: I just remembered you like to bask in temperatures around 30 degrees, so not surprising the amp runs a touch hot LOL.
:)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #698 of 876
Just done another quick comparison of the 2 amps now that I've gone back to trying the 14AF7 tubes again - heavily modded, balanced LD amp, and the APPJ speaker amp. The LD has the best tubes I've got in, the APPJ has the very resolving 14AF7's.

Probably the last time I bother to do this, it's getting increasingly difficult to tell the differences when they are so close:

They are so similar in resolve thanks to the 14AF7 in the APPJ, the soundstage is a bit more enveloping in the LD with more depth, but with the Philips 12AX7 in this brings more depth to the soundstage of the APPJ, the bass is still slightly tighter in the APPJ, mid range is fuller and refined sounding in the LD, treble is still slightly more extended in the APPJ partly due to the 14AF7 but even with the Philips in the APPJ it is still more prominent. With the recent mods to the LD the textural details and dynamics are much more similar in the 2 amps now.

The differences in treble and bass are slight and I put this down to the fact that the APPJ still sounds a bit sharper and I think the reason for this is that the output impedance is very well controlled by the OT's whereas the LD is output transformerless and achieves the right impedance with NFB which can be problematic. Neverthless I think the LD can be improved further by those Nichicon caps I heard about, and possibly my OCC silver output wires, so still something up my sleeve......

This is remarkable considering how heavily modded the LD is and how cheap and slightly modded the APPJ is, it really is a bargain, I can't really understand the people who move on and try something else when it would be difficult to better what they have in the first place!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #699 of 876
Just checked up to see if the APPJ's are still available, in case mine should ever go wrong, not that it will, it's been going strong for well over 5 years now, and I came across what looks like the latest speaker version, the EL34 amp here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/APP...-Ended-Audio-HIFI-Stereo-Amp/32832930441.html

There has been a replacement for both headphone and speaker amps with a 2 power tube speaker amp not long ago. It looks like the makers have gone back to a 2 power tube, 1 driver tube design with the latest amp which looks very pretty. Some specs are different too, wonder what it sounds like?

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #700 of 876
I feel goofy, but did we have any kind of compilation of which 12SN7s we liked and how they compared to existing 12au7s?

I just realized my next amp [a nice TOTL semi-custom build aroudn $1600] uses 12au7s and my 12SN7s should work! As I got a nice little collection of 12SN7s for this amp!!!

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #701 of 876
Just tried the GE12SL7 silver round plates, to see if indeed they do sound a tad harsh in the treble as some have said, or whether they sound more realistic on my system....

Now that I've had initial listening impressions I completely agree with the above 2 posts regarding the 12SL7 GE, but not the Tungsol, the sibilance is especially prominent because I haven't heard that on this amp before, so again I'm back with my TS5751, I don't think it can be beaten!

Just out of interest when the Miniwatt, or speaker APPJ came out several people posted about a diode mod and a pot mod but I haven't been able to find out anyone who can tell what was the effect of these mods. Just to be clear I'm not thinking of doing any more mods but I just thought I would throw this open to discussion to see what other members thought. I have no idea what a diode mod would do, and even if the pot could be changed there would not be room inside for it probably, but if the stock pot is suspect, and I don't think it is, a stepped attenuator would bump up the sound another notch. I'm sure it could easily be checked to see how well the 2 channels are matched but I'm not sure how to do this, so if anyone is interested let them try it......

I'm assuming that these mods could be done interchangeably on either APPJ.

Edit:
I've finished the listening session and I might have been a little hasty, I'm going to spend a bit more time with this damn tube, it seems to have got better as I've been listening and if it could be less sibilant and more open and resolving like the TS 12SL7 then it could be a good tube, it already has a nice wide soundstage. I'll report back when I've decided on it, and it's had more burn in.

You talking New Production TS5751

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #702 of 876
You talking New Production TS5751

No NOS. Readers of this thread will know that I've updated my tube preferences since that post and if you haven't been keeping up with this thread..... shame on you lol.... after a long time with the TS5751 I now favour these: TS 14AF7 for best resolution as several here have found, Philips 12AX7 for punch, soundstage, overall balance, and Mazda 12AX7 for downright beautiful treble, light, airy seems to float away on the breeze!

So what's your new amp and why have you gone for it?

BTW there hasn't been any comparison of 12SN7's and 12AU7's here.

Dec 1, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #703 of 876
No NOS. Readers of this thread will know that I've updated my tube preferences since that post and if you haven't been keeping up with this thread..... shame on you lol.... after a long time with the TS5751 I now favour these: TS 14AF7 for best resolution as several here have found, Philips 12AX7 for punch, soundstage, overall balance, and Mazda 12AX7 for downright beautiful treble, light, airy seems to float away on the breeze!

So what's your new amp and why have you gone for it?

BTW there hasn't been any comparison of 12SN7's and 12AU7's here.

Sonnare Amps the Emotion, runs a 4P1L pair + a 6SN7 and a 12XX7. Dan has STRONGLY recommend I ditch my 12SN7s an start investing in some nicer made for Audio 9Pins which I'll eventually start doing, but ugh I already spent so much buying/selling and trying out Octals -.-

Oh well, I appreciate having the Philips recommendation. Prices aren't TOO crazy, other suggestions have been for the CBS 5814a and the GE 6072a

anyways, when the 9pins start rolling in I'll likely start comparing them to my 100%/100% 12SN7GT

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #704 of 876
Some specs are different too, wonder what it sounds like?
It using similar caps as stock of this one, so expect it to need cap upgrade to sound its best.

Sonnare Amps the Emotion
Details are hidden on "patent pending" design because it is nothing more than using SS help to it, just like most newer amps today.

The real difference here is using a more transparent highly regarded tube for output stage, so you get less tube coloring and distortion.

At price of $1.7k , I would expect above average sound.
I would expect it to rival some $4k tube amps, so its fairly good value.

Of course it is not as great value as this, or a DIY amp, but better than most.
I like to see a trend of greater value amps than what we have so far.

Too many expensive old-school designs in this market ready to be eclipsed...

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #705 of 876

Users who are viewing this thread

Back