Any opinions on the Senn HD280PRO vs ATH-M50?
Mar 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

cwindsor

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've been looking for high quality closed headphones for traveling. For me, portability isn't really an issue as the size of most headphones doesn't matter to me.

How are the Sennheiser HD280PRO's vs the ATH-M50? Do you have any other recommendations for closed headphones?

Thanks!
CW

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 25
Thanks for the quick reply! I've heard that the HD280's do get really uncomfortable after listening to them for some time. I'll have to take that into consideration.

One of the most important factors for me is the isolation. (esp. For use on trains, planes, loud vehicles)

CW

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 25
Isolation on HD 280 pro is really good. Listen to music on it when my wife is blasting the T.V & I don't hear the T.V at all, probably why also I've seen a lot of DJ's using them. They are a bit tight for the first couple of months then either they become a bit loose or else I've become used to the pressure.

After checking out quite a few cans i've realised that you cannot have best of both worlds (comfort & isolation) if you want good isolation then have to compromise on comfort a little bit.

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 25
How is the isolation on the M50's? Is it good enough for loud places like planes? I'm quite positive on the M50's now and would love to hear any other feedback you may have about it. As a whole, I tend to prefer powerful lows with clear highs and some mids.

Any more thoughts? Thanks for the help!
CW

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 25
Hmm, and I'm expecting that the hi's are still crisp and clear right? I don't want to end up with music that's too heavy. By the way, I noticed that the size of the earpads was rather small, does anyone know how big the "hole" for the ear is?

Thanks!
CW

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwindsor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, and I'm expecting that the hi's are still crisp and clear right? I don't want to end up with music that's too heavy. By the way, I noticed that the size of the earpads was rather small, does anyone know how big the "hole" for the ear is?

Thanks!
CW

I bought a ****load of M50s for the studio staff but they are enjoyable for personal use in almost any genre of music. The bass is not boomy nor overwhelming, it is taut and punchy. The earcups are are semi-circumaural with soft flat pads so a part of it will be resting on some of your ears. Remember, these were designed for audio engineers so don't expect your entire ear to fit in them, they were meant to be smaller than circumaural to limit any wide soundstage effect. If you gotta know, the opening is 2.25" and they are comfortable on my 2.75" ears.

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 25
Definitely go for the M50's. You won't be disappointed. They are a very solid headphone. I have the 280's and they aren't bad but definitely do get uncomfortable pressure and heat wise after an hour or so. The bass on the 280's is also lacking.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 25
Thanks everyone for the responses! I think I'm going to start looking around for a deal on some M50's!

CW

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 25
This thread is a little old, but I'll go against the grain here and say that I LOVE MY HD280s!!! 
beyersmile.png
 I didn't find them to be uncomfortable in the least (and I have a huge head!). They sound great with everything from an iPod to a bass guitar and the isolation borders that of some IEMs. I couldn't afford the M50s, and I now don't have any desire to buy them. (For the record, I bought my 280s in September and have used them almost every day since then. They are fully burned in).

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
This thread is a little old, but I'll go against the grain here and say that I LOVE MY HD280s!!! 
beyersmile.png
 I didn't find them to be uncomfortable in the least (and I have a huge head!). They sound great with everything from an iPod to a bass guitar and the isolation borders that of some IEMs. I couldn't afford the M50s, and I now don't have any desire to buy them. (For the record, I bought my 280s in September and have used them almost every day since then. They are fully burned in).

IMO, the HD 280 sounds is not quite balanced if there is a mismatching  between the HD 280 and the amp. I use the Pio Elie A 35r which is very musical and smooth and I do not feel the HF is harsh as some posters complained. As far as low frequency, I have enough bass with the HD 280 via my Pio a 35r headphone output. If you are a  bass-head, the HD 280s are not for you. If you have a good source, interconnect, and a decent amp, the HD 280 is a nice headphone for the price. As far as the Senn clamp, yes the HD 280 will grap your skull without any mercy.

As some poster said the HD 280s have no personality, that's why I like them. I's rather have a pair of cans that reproduce the sound asthe way  it was recorded without any add-on gravy . YMMV.

I have the M50s but did not have time to toying around with them yet, so I cannot speak for the M50s.  

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 25
My $0.02....I have owned both headphones and, as always, both cans have their strengths and weaknesses.  IMHO, each is build for a slightly different purpose. 

Senn HD280 - To my ear, these have more transparent and balanced sound (probably where "boring" or "no personality" comes from).  If the recording is badly mastered or of poorer file quality, these are not the best headphone.  They were meant for more for pure studio monitoring purposes where you can hear details of music than rocking out and pure music enjoyment.  These do have bass, but it is presented in a nature that makes one "aware" of it rather than "feel" it (going back to monitoring purpose).  I also found no issues with their comfort; I am 6'4 220 lbs with fairly large head and worn these for 5 hours straight on cross-country flights.  Isolation is excellent and I have no problem driving these from my laptop or mp3 player.  I would use with with classical, vocal, string, folk, etc type genres (in comparison with M50s).

AT M50 - In comparison to HD280s, these are much more of a "fun" headphone. They are much more immersing in their sound and are not as harsh on lower quality or poorly mastered recording.  For many softer and more intricate music genres, M50s had way too much bass for me.  Isolation and comfort is almost identical, though I do prefer HD280 pads over M50s.  Laptops and mp3 players drive M50s fairly easy as well, but these cans benefit more from amplification than HD280s. I would use these for pop, hip-hop, dance, electronic, etc type genres.

I have owned HD280s for about 10 years...M50 for about a year. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back