Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Feb 4, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #661 of 828
I'm glad to hear you're doing ok. You've always had too much gear, so that's nothing new. I thought you'd be retired by now. Why are you still humping it?
1 more year before I pack it in.

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #663 of 828
Great thread...

I dip in and out of this stuff but don't post much at all. Looking at my profile and gear I've listed...damn I've churned through loads. Mostly unexplainable flashback memories now :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #664 of 828
wow what a nostalgia trip this thread is, so many familiar names. :slight_smile:
Does anyone remember this or who made it, it made howl saved from a 2006 thread:smiley:
kittybose-urinating.jpg

Ah, the Bose cat - lovely memories. Thanks for that!

But no, I'm not around. Merely an apparition. So move on - there's nothing to see here! :wink:

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #665 of 828
Hello everybody!

I believe my buddy PITTM made that glorious 'shop long ago, when the internet was new and I was but a young fart.

I've been doing a lot of lurking and listening over the last decade since my last post; I recently got a pair of Sundaras and they are as good as everyone says they are.

Thanks to Jude and the rest of mods who have kept this place going all these years. Here's to another 20!

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #666 of 828
Wish I could keep away, my wallet would thank me.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #667 of 828
Little side note story, btw: A couple of years ago the old Dell 2005FPW, which I had used as TV set in combination with one of my old VCRs, broke down, so that I finally bought a new TV set - and with that I also stopped using my old sony MDR-605LP as TV headphone. And, lo and behold, roundabout three month later the hair on what I had deemed a natural bald spot was back! :)

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #668 of 828
Almost 20 years of reading head-fi, wow! I still enjoy some Stax 009 and even HD650, but have been listening to headphones a lot less ever since I put SO MUCH money into my speaker setup. The Susvaras tempted me for a minute, but I think my high-end headphoning days are finally behind me - though who knows where the future leads.

Man, the memories reading posts here, the excitement of getting a new headphone / amp and posting about it, even meeting my bud Purk through here - head-fi has been an important part of my life, especially since it coincided with the start of my adult life right after college. Thank you head-fi, and all quality head-fiers!

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #670 of 828
I am 72 years old and retired last September . Have participated here and at Audio Asylum a while. Also participated at Home Theater Forum when it began until some of us left and formed another forum until it closed about 5 months ago. I started this headphone hobby several years ago with Shiit Lyr and Bitfrost. With age, Last year I got into IEMs because DAPs still have volume balance like we had on amps in the 60s and 70s. When your hearing starts to go in one ear, its great to be able to balance it out.

May 8, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #671 of 828
After taking ten years off when my daughter was born, I returned recently. I sold my truck a year ago and have gotten back into buying headphone gear. Spent maybe $10k in the past year on this hobby. I am back but the forum has changed a little bit. I already saw some of the people's attitudes change back when I took a break back in 2009. Now, there are so many different products out there and I have bought and listened to many of them. They don't sound very good. However, the value in the $100 range is way better than it used to be.
i am back.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #672 of 828
After taking ten years off when my daughter was born, I returned recently. I sold my truck a year ago and have gotten back into buying headphone gear. Spent maybe $10k in the past year on this hobby. I am back but the forum has changed a little bit. I already saw some of the people's attitudes change back when I took a break back in 2009. Now, there is so much products out there and I have bought and listened to many of them. They don't sound very good. However, the value in the $100 range is way better than it used to be.
Welcome back.

May 8, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #673 of 828
It's really nice to see some of these usernames that I would see years ago when I was just lurking. I think I started the regular head-fi lurk thing around 2008-9. Anyway, great to see some long time head-fi members who responded. I also miss the old days when I would get so swept up in the hype trains. It is fun to get carried away and try new gear, and even when I couldn't or wouldn't try, it was amazing to read the posts of those who were.

I have again reverted back to listen to speakers most of the time, but headphones will always be part of my audio experience and I know that they will once again become a really big focus of mine. I don't mind spending $1500, which is still a huge sum of money, but I do find the ridiculous prices today for TOTL kit to be well, ridiculous. So many great bargains below $1000 these days, and even more if you are patient and can wait for the used market to include what you are looking for.

May 10, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #675 of 828
From time to time I’ll dust off my Kramer Modded KSC-75 on a cheap PartsExpress headband and plug them into my 1st Gen iPod Shuffle (the one that looks like a white pack of gum) to use while I work in the yard. I suppose that implies I’ve been hanging around here for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back