Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Jun 14, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #436 of 828
Skylab! My all time favorite headphone reviewer. Can't blame you for listening to mostly speakers with the Nautilus 800 Sigs. It's definitely true that interests wax and wane over the years, we all need something to obsess about :wink: When you learn the mysteries and nuances of a subject, it's often fun to jump into something else undiscovered. 

As far as my own posting, I usually just check out the DIY section from time to time, make sure no one is about to electrocute themselves :D 

Thanks man!! I really enjoyed it when I was into it, that's for sure. And the nice thing for me is that my kids, who are now in their late teens, love music, and it's really fun to listen to music with them.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #437 of 828
It's funny...the peak of my headphone interest and my head-fi activity was kind of the perfect storm...I had little kids, and so almost of all my music listening have to be via headphones. When I joined head-fi in 2005, I owned the Sennheiser HD-650, used only in my main stereo. Suddenly there was this thing called an iPod, and I could play lossless music from it via a headphone amp into great headphones in all sorts of places. Very handy. I sure got sucked in. I think my peak simultaneous headphone inventory was around 20, well over $10k worth.

And now...I own the Beyer DT-880-600, and the AT-ANC7 for trips. My kids are in their late teens, and almost all of my music listening is done through loudspeakers again. I still read and enjoy head-fi in places, but my posting is very infrequent. I'm actually hoping to be overtaken in the top-10 all time posters soon
tongue.gif

loved skylab's reviews as well...and was always envious of his headphone collection! :)

i haven't been spending much time around here, either...but got into stax stuff last year so that's where my headphone love is at the moment. much easier to navigate the stax world as there are a manageable set of equipment to try/buy...

my favorite moment of my headphone journey was visiting the k1000 room at the first national head-fi meet in san jose (pre-canjam) and coming to the realization that i not only wanted one, but that i needed one in my life. ahhhh, good times.

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #438 of 828
here since 2005

check in and research when its time to buy new gear

The hot item back then was a red wine modified iPod 

Years later it was a  fostex with a digital input straight from the iPod 

Now I' m loading up an X-5 with 96/24 flac and higher to a digital input on the Cord mojo 

My portable system sounds  better than my non headphone rig

I am looking forward to 10 years from now.....

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #440 of 828
Can't believe it's been 15 years !
i know, scary to think how much water has flowed under the bridge, and how much money has flowed through my hands in that time.

I would love to recreate my setups from way back when and a/b to where I am now, so as to hear first hand how this industry has changed for the better in that time.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #441 of 828
Yes, it has been a very long time.  I'm not sure if the current crop of amps are any better than years past.  Recently compared the Headamp GS-1 circa 2008 and it was head and shoulder above the current flavor of the year, the Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #442 of 828
Yes, it has been a very long time.  I'm not sure if the current crop of amps are any better than years past.  Recently compared the Headamp GS-1 circa 2008 and it was head and shoulder above the current flavor of the year, the Cavalli Liquid Carbon.
Interesting!!

Looking forward even moreso now, to CanJam London in seven weeks time :)

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #443 of 828
i know, scary to think how much water has flowed under the bridge, and how much money has flowed through my hands in that time.

I would love to recreate my setups from way back when and a/b to where I am now, so as to hear first hand how this industry has changed for the better in that time.

Agreed, when I first joined I never imagined that I would be spending this kind of money on audio gear. At the time I thought that I would just hang around for a month or two and just spending a couple of hundred of dollars on a decent source, amp, cans and be done with it. Boy was I wrong and in for a surprise ride...

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #444 of 828
Interesting!!

Looking forward even moreso now, to CanJam London in seven weeks time
smily_headphones1.gif

I just don't think there are that much advancement in term of amplification the last few years.  The GS-1 with the new dynalo plus module is considerably more refined than the Liquid Carbon.  It isn't surprising obviously given the GS-1 has better parts, layouts, circuit, as well as the PSU.  I do enjoy the form factor of the Liquid Carbon however.  I also own the old Headroom Balanced Home with Max Module and that amp still compete with anything solidstate amp up to $2500-3000 range of today.  Amp wise, I think the technology has already mature.  Then again, both Headroom & Headamp have been in business for over a decade now.  So experience does matter in this case.

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #445 of 828
I bought a GS-1 with Dynalo+ modules off the forums a few weeks ago and agree with @purk's comments. I listened to the Black Widow ver. 2 this past weekend during a meet and I wasn't convinced that it was better than the GS-1. This is one seriously good amp (still).

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #446 of 828
  I bought a GS-1 with Dynalo+ modules off the forums a few weeks ago and agree with @purk's comments. I listened to the Black Widow ver. 2 this past weekend during a meet and I wasn't convinced that it was better than the GS-1. This is one seriously good amp (still).

Glad you went for it.  I almost did buy that one myself.  Funny thing is, I recommended couple of my friends to buy it and both questioned the single-end nature of the amp and the sound of the amp.  Now he is kicking himself for not taking my advice after I lend him both the Liquid Carbon & GS-1 for the weekend.  Now he is trying to buy my unit.  I politely said "nope".  

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #448 of 828
  here since 2005

check in and research when its time to buy new gear

The hot item back then was a red wine modified iPod 

Years later it was a  fostex with a digital input straight from the iPod 

Now I' m loading up an X-5 with 96/24 flac and higher to a digital input on the Cord mojo 

My portable system sounds  better than my non headphone rig

I am looking forward to 10 years from now.....

its been crazy to watch things change and improve over the years here on head fi and i havent been here as long as some of you guys.

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #449 of 828
what am i listening with these days? 

- woodied sr225
- recabled akg k501
- sony mdr-1000x

talk about a mix of old and new...i feel like i'm back in 2005 (minus the 1000x, though)

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #450 of 828
I just returned. THought I'd play catch up around here. Amazed to see so many old timers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back