Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Oct 25, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #391 of 828
I still have my Melos maestrobater & 4 HP1000s ,HP1 ,HP2 x2 ,HP3,to compliment it.

I still have mine too, the Maestrobator and the Darth Grado HP2s with Headphile cups. Ear still shot but maybe my kid will like it someday.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #392 of 828
  Remember those Sony pocket FM radios that Xin dude used to mod and publish info for? I remember modding one of those, it was an awesome radio. Coupled with KSC-35, it was just awesome. I don't have either any more. Dont' know what happened to the radio, I gave the Koss to one of my best friends.

Yes. While I never got a modded radio, I still use some of his words to gauge pocket radios to this day. Unfortunately it feels like that part of the audio hobby has vanished, and we're really sharing house with a lot of people who only understand specs (thus turning everything into a weapons race) or are easily conned by a certain style of image and marketing (think umami burger, uber, airbnb)... and not necessarily the nuances of audio as a hobby. 

But yeah, every tide turns eventually, and what matters is there's something in every trend for me, always a wish coming true out of some corner. Hopefully.

etysmile.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #393 of 828
What I miss most, which I bought twice if not three times was the Sony MDR-CD1700, probably poop by today's standards, but still...

Worst mistake which Bangraman may remember, buying Shure E5C from TCR, pretty much literally the next day, the SE500 coming out, and buying them too... Haha, even to this day I still have a habit of burning through money - some thugs just do not change!

I remember shipping them off to the US for someone. It's probably not going to be a bad phone by today's standards... as I sort of said in an earlier post, the absolute standards of phones probably hasn't improved that much (I mean, we still live in an age where Grato can sell phones with a straight face 
very_evil_smiley.gif
) but sonic tastes have changed.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #394 of 828
I still have mine too, the Maestrobator and the Darth Grado HP2s with Headphile cups. Ear still shot but maybe my kid will like it someday.

I sure will, dad!

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #395 of 828
just saw this thread...and a lot of names i remember from back in the day. my first headphone that got me here was the sr80...and i remember thinking how amazing it was compared to the sony earbuds i was using at the time. my portable setup with a larocco signature and my original ipod was as much as i could afford back in the day while i was a graduate student.  good thing i didn't have any money to spend on one of the singlepower amps back then...i always wanted an mpx3 for some reason but i'm glad i couldn't afford it at the time.

good to see many familiar names...

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #397 of 828
I just saw this thread as well, an old time audiophile, Linn table with Lyra cartridge, Peachtree Grandpre preamp/dac, (had Krell KSL that died), Krell KSA-150, Thiel 3.6 speakers. Though I listen to my headphones most these days...

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #398 of 828
I regularly read this site. I rarely post anymore. I have come to the point that at the very high end music is what it is currently until some breakthrough occurs. not to say that it is not very good.

I miss tuberoller. he lived not too far from me. plus he raced cars as I do.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #399 of 828
just saw this thread...and a lot of names i remember from back in the day. my first headphone that got me here was the sr80...and i remember thinking how amazing it was compared to the sony earbuds i was using at the time. my portable setup with a larocco signature and my original ipod was as much as i could afford back in the day while i was a graduate student.  good thing i didn't have any money to spend on one of the singlepower amps back then...i always wanted an mpx3 for some reason but i'm glad i couldn't afford it at the time.

good to see many familiar names...

Hi Kugino, I just found this thread as well. You may recall you bought the Yamamoto amp from me a while ago. My head-fi join date is June 2001 which I think is the first month the site was up. Still a hardcore headphone lover and infrequent poster, mainly on the Sennheiser threads. My head-fi password is the serial number from my McCormack MHD.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #400 of 828
Hi Kugino, I just found this thread as well. You may recall you bought the Yamamoto amp from me a while ago. My head-fi join date is June 2001 which I think is the first month the site was up. Still a hardcore headphone lover and infrequent poster, mainly on the Sennheiser threads. My head-fi password is the serial number from my McCormack MHD.

aw man, that was so long ago...good times. i think i had the yamamoto, the w5000, and the w100 at that time...great combo. i was away from the hobby for a few years, too and only got back into it a couple years ago...

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #401 of 828

Quote:
I kinda miss the days when I thought the Singlepower MPX-3 was the greatest thing I had ever heard in my life. As badly as that whole thing blew up, I sure did love that amp when I first got it.

I have not posted in a long time but saw this thread. Mostly listen to speakers these days as I now have space for them. I still have my SP Extreme which I rebuilt to fix the original flaws. Mainly replaced the transformer, rectifier, and a couple of resistors. I then sold it. After a couple of years the fellow I sold it to asked me to finish a tube amp kit for him and gave me back my SP for my effort. Still works great and now I play an Yggy through it for some pretty fine sound.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #402 of 828
I mostly just lurk now a days, but I still check the site regularly. Getting the itch to start building again too.

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #403 of 828
I just found this thread...

I pass through HF a couple or three times a year. I'd probably do it more, but I stay in trouble with the Mrs for buying stuff as it is. About this time every year, I get the urge for new audio electronics or CDs. It may have something to do with "gathering the harvest to use during the winter" from my agrarian ancestors. It really beats me why, but I do it every fall.

I'm coming up on 7 years of Head-Fi, which is less than half of most of y'all. Some of y'all turned me into a DIY'er of sorts and others made me into a budget-fi kind of guy. Thanks. I like me. I may reach a thousand posts one day, but I probably won't ever be a Headphoneus Supremus. If I do, it will probably be posthumous.

Last year, it was a Fiio X1, and a couple of new IEMs. This year, it started in May with a Fiio E12A. In the last several weeks, it's hybrid IEMs, multiple earphone cables and a new DAP, an xDuoo x3 that is en-route as I write. I will buy some CDs off Amazon, but I think my autumn splurge is basically done for 2015.

I am getting to evaluate an IEM, though, so I may be buying more stuff after Christmas. If I do, my excuse will be that my birthday is in January. At my age, one needs to plan ahead and then write it down. I just hope I don't forget where I put it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #404 of 828
One thing that cannot be denied by any of us longer term members / lurkers is how far the portable scene has come on since the early days of this site, although mostly at the cost no object end of the scale...

If you'd have told me when this site first came online that I would one day walk around with the best part of £4k's worth of portable gear in my ears and pockets, I would have laughed you out of town, yet here I am.....

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #405 of 828

I miss tuberoller. he lived not too far from me. plus he raced cars as I do.

I met him once or twice. He was a good dude. For a while I thought about joining the Chicago Fire Dept, which I think he worked for, but ended up in the Army instead (too long of a wait list).

One thing that cannot be denied by any of us longer term members / lurkers is how far the portable scene has come on since the early days of this site, although mostly at the cost no object end of the scale...

If you'd have told me when this site first came online that I would one day walk around with the best part of £4k's worth of portable gear in my ears and pockets, I would have laughed you out of town, yet here I am.....

The Pono seems to be fairly reasonably priced, if you can get over the strange form factor. It's definitely useful when placed on a table, but not so much when in the pocket. Myself, I still mainly listen to CDs.

I really can't believe how much money high end headphones cost nowadays. I remember balking when shelling out hundreds of dollars for a pair of Etymotic ER-4S's. Of course, I never thought I'd ever spend what I did on my integrated amp. Or cables for that matter. Sometimes I question my own sanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back