Any gamers here? Quick question
May 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jmy2469

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a set of headphones to use with my Xbox 360 and my Sony PS3. What should I take a look at? Looking for high quality and something that sounds great. Ant brands to stay away from? Thanks for the help. John 

May 22, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 22
I would just start of with something simple like the AD700. You can buy them for about $80-$90 and they are simply one of the best headphones you can buy for competitive gaming. The positioning with those is incredible and the comfort will keep you playing long hours. Bass is really the only weakness to them, as explosions and rumbling noises don't quite live up to real nature. Other than that, they are fabulous.

Check out this thread as well, it should be of great help. It also has the AD700 in it as well: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

May 22, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 22
A nice gaming headphone is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. It has a nice big soundstage and great imaging and positioning of sounds. I've tried them before and they do a great job, especially for FPS games.

Another alternative is the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250Ohm. I ahve the 600Ohm model and it's, in my opinion, a better alternative to the ATH-AD700. It's soundstage is not as big but has far better imaging  and a bit more bass so explosions have some weight now.

May 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 22
If you have the money to spend on a good amp also, check into the AKG K601 for gaming. It's my favorite but needs a desktop amp. The Fiio e9 will do since it's not picky about amps. The e9 is $120 and the K601 about $190.

The HD-598 is also a nice option and doesn't require an amp, but it is suggested for decent bass. I do prefer the K601 for gaming though.

The AD700 also is nice, but it's not so good for music, but it has a massive soundstage.

May 22, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 22
I second Raven's suggestion. I used a Musical Fidelity DAC to an M^3 amp and a set of K701s that were incredible. The DAC really did make a big difference to me when gaming. While it did lack some bass it did have great detail and sound stage which made shooters more enjoyable. You should be able to pick up all this equipment used well under your budget.  

May 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 22
K701 didn´t work at all for me for games or movies. I had big problem tracking sound cues with it and not that good with voices AD 700.is a lot cheaper and superior for these tasks. Also bass light if you don´t enjoy bass.

May 22, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 22
I agree to an extent. While the K701 has great imaging for games, the soundstage kind of makes the experience wonky for me. I can hear where stuff is coming from but it sounds more distant because of the width of the stage. The K701 does not have good height or depth so it throws the sound off a bit.

So in the end the K701 is not a good gaming headphone. The abnormal width and lack of depth/height to the stage makes gaming feel abnormal or more disproportionate. It really throws you off when trying to figure out where sounds are coming from.

Quote:
K701 didn´t work at all for me for games or movies. I had big problem tracking sound cues with it and not that good with voices AD 700.is a lot cheaper and superior for these tasks. Also bass light if you don´t enjoy bass.

I would recommend the E9/7 over the Asus STX any day as the Asus STX can not do any justice to the DT880. In comparison to the Fiio amp, the STX sounds lackluster IMO. If the DT880 is the one to be used even the PHENIX G3 would be a better solution. Not to bash the Asus as the integrated headphone amp in it is far superior to stock on boards headphone amps, just in comparison to those amps it's not as good.

Quote:
DT880 with either Asus STX or E9/7 combo would be my recommendation.

Check out http://www.game-fi.com/. There is a forum you can join there too. 

May 22, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 22
I always said something like this about the K702 also when I had my Asgard. I do think this distance problem varies between amps (not synergy issues here!). On the Asgard (not good for K702) the soundstage seems artificially huge and not accurate. Details seemed so distant and hard to hear. It almost felt like recessed mids, but it wasn't that! On the E9 it was a lot better and slightly more accurate, but still a bit weird during games. It made me go from hating the K702 for gaming to really liking it!

I don't know why, but when I switched to a third amp (Headroom Micro Amp) with some forward mids I lost this effect in games. The soundstage and everything didn't seem so distant anymore and now more natural. I don't know if it's making the soundstage smaller on my new amp or what, but it's quite nice now. I never get the feeling everything gets lost in the soundstage like before. I like an amp for the K702 that gives me more of a front row like experience for music. I haven't gotten that yet, but maybe 2nd row? Good enough for me.

I can't see how these problems could turn it into being bad for gaming unless it's for competitive gaming. Isn't that kind of nit-picking? I always do this, so I guess I'm the same way.

I have to admit though that I CAN'T use Dolby Headphone with the K702. For casual gaming I think the K702 is still very good. I still think it's not a problem and can be corrected with specific amps (I'm NOT talking about synergy). For some it's just not worth the trouble.

I've found the K601 fixes the massive soundstage problem of the K702 and it has better imaging IMO. The K601 soundstage to me never feels super huge and a little more accurate.

For 90% of the time I prefer the K601 for gaming and this is why I suggest it over the K702. I don't know why, but on Uncharted 2 I prefer the K702 and it could be due to the clearer sound and more treble. Fallout 3 seems unplayable on my K702 for whatever reason.

Basically it comes down to preferences. Some people will just hate the K702's soundstage for gaming. My best advice is to just try it or take the safer option and get the K601
normal_smile%20.gif

It's also a better match with the E9 than the K702 to me. I'm not a huge fan of the K702 on the E9, but it's still quite good.

Quote:
I agree to an extent. While the K701 has great imaging for games, the soundstage kind of makes the experience wonky for me. I can hear where stuff is coming from but it sounds more distant because of the width of the stage. The K701 does not have good height or depth so it throws the sound off a bit.

So in the end the K701 is not a good gaming headphone. The abnormal width and lack of depth/height to the stage makes gaming feel abnormal or more disproportionate. It really throws you off when trying to figure out where sounds are coming from.

I would recommend the E9/7 over the Asus STX any day as the Asus STX can not do any justice to the DT880. In comparison to the Fiio amp, the STX sounds lackluster IMO. If the DT880 is the one to be used even the PHENIX G3 would be a better solution. Not to bash the Asus as the integrated headphone amp in it is far superior to stock on boards headphone amps, just in comparison to those amps it's not as good.

May 22, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:

I disagree with this personally - I found the STX to sound better than the E7+E9 with every headphone I tried. But it doesn't really matter either way since the OP said he would be playing on his 360 and PS3 instead of PC.

I also personally own the AD700's and do play FPS games a lot. It has a nice sound stage, but I don't think its imaging is that great. Don't get me wrong, they're still very good headphones for FPS gaming, but I'm looking for something with better imaging. I'm not too bothered about sound stage.

May 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 22
Stick with the AD700!!!!  Why?  Because it doesn't have bass.  So when crap hits the floor and things are blowing up everywhere and WWIII is happening all around, you will not be distracted by all that junk.

Just FYI, that's only for the competitive gaming though =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back