Any cyclists out there that have any recommendations for headphones?
May 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

lifeonbicycles

New Head-Fier
There are so many choices for in ear headphones but I have no idea what to choose. The audio quality doesn't matter that much because of the noise when biking. I need ones that stay in. I have been looking at Yurbuds and they seem like a good choice. Any recommendations?

May 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:
There are so many choices for in ear headphones but I have no idea what to choose. The audio quality doesn't matter that much because of the noise when biking. I need ones that stay in. I have been looking at Yurbuds and they seem like a good choice. Any recommendations?

Depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it. If you've got a helmet on probably would need something low-profile, fairly flat - something like the PFE012. But then again, not sure about your budget or whether or not isolation is needed - sometimes you'd want to be aware out on the road instead.

Oh, and almost forgot - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678

May 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Wait until you're off the bike. You want to be aware of traffic noise. I'm not even sure if it's legal to use headphones of any kind while cycling. 

May 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:
Quote:
Wait until you're off the bike. You want to be aware of traffic noise. I'm not even sure if it's legal to use headphones of any kind while cycling. 

Well you may as well just not wear earphones then with that logic.

Actually, with that brought up, and considering that he is biking (we do have non-strictly enforced bylaws against it here I think - I generally just turn the music off but keep them on as plugs)....that logic is pretty logically sound. 

Though I wouldn't be sure that the OP'd be happy if we tell him not to get anything at all.

May 12, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 32
Buy an igrado and cut grooves into the helmet...? Just a random suggestion.
Or a ciem. Not sure.

May 12, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:
Actually, with that brought up, and considering that he is biking (we do have non-strictly enforced bylaws against it here I think - I generally just turn the music off but keep them on as plugs)....that logic is pretty logically sound. 

Though I wouldn't be sure that the OP'd be happy if we tell him not to get anything at all.

It would be a lot cheaper to get some etymotics for ten bucks then. 

May 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 32
What is the point of using non isolating headphones outside... You may as well just not bother and take them out because it sounds rubbish when there is ambient noise and you cannot even hear the details of the music... also you have to turn the headphones up to tinnitus inducing levels just to drown out the ambient noise.... Assuming you don't get run over it is probably safer for your ears to use isolating IEM because you can listen at lower volumes as no ambient noise.

May 13, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

If the audio quality doesn't matter then just get a pair of earbuds. Sennheiser make a few models marketed as a sports line. I have some cheap PK1 that have been recabled so seem a bit sturdier. I've been thinking of getting the Apple Earpods as they seem to sit inside the ear but don't isolate as much as IEMs.

I think this is the one instance where sound quality should take a back seat. I have mine low enough to hear ambient noise. People who don't clock up long kms day after day don't know how much a little bit of music can go a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back