Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Jan 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #2,071 of 6,444
Completed tengen toppa gurren lagaan yesterday
If you think about it, the series doesnt have a strong story or memorable characters(other than Yoko) and the fights themselves are ordinary
But the series is damn fun and entertaining
biggrin.gif

Something lke doctor who...episodes and dialogue is corny/cheesy but that doesnt take away the fun factor
gets a 9/10 from me

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #2,072 of 6,444
Ga-Rei Zero was very impressive. It combined elements from Elfen Lied and Berserk into one. If you can get past the weak early episodes and the generic CG appearances, the series ends at a satisfying stop. There's also the ongoing manga, but if you watched it for the same reasons I did, the anime original is enough.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #2,076 of 6,444
Coal Guys started subbing this new series called "Akikan." It's about a boy who buys a can of soda that turns into a cute girl when he drinks from it. (I'm gonna call this a spoiler even though it's the basic plot of the series because I had no idea what the series was about before I DLed it and the ensuing surprise was absolutely hilarious) It's absolutely ridiculous, but I watched the first ep and it seems like it's gonna be a hilarious series.

Edit: Also, I finished Beck. It was amazing. 10/10. Everyone should watch it. Seriously, put whatever you're watching right now on hold until you have watched Beck. I can't get over how perfect this series was. The ending was absolutely perfect too. It tied everything up so well.

Also, I'm rewatching Chobits for like, the third time. I don't know why this series has so much rewatchability. (That's definitely not a word.)

P.P.S. I forgot to mention FLAG and Texhnolyze. I'm not sure about either of these series yet, but judging by the first two episodes of each one, they seem pretty good. I'll do a little description of each one in a few hours.

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #2,077 of 6,444
Kurozuka - .........................uh. Well, I just finished watching this anime. The story makes absolutely no sense and just skips around from one point to another. All I know about the story is that it has something to do with this chick who is immortal. Yeah..... Well, at least the animation was pretty good and the fighting scenes were good. I'm probably going to read the manga in hopes of understanding what went on >_> 6.8/10

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #2,078 of 6,444
Finished Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, great anime, very funny.. my only complaint is that 2 or 3 jokes carry on for far too long. It is definitely in my top funny animes along with Yakite Japan! and Lucky Star.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #2,079 of 6,444
I finished watching Chrno Crusade the other day. It was really good. It has plenty of comedy and some slapstick as well, but the underlying story progresses and and all the characters develop as the story progresses, delving more and more into their history and how they're all linked.

It got progressively more serious and gritty as it neared the end, but it was good to see the humour poke through now and then still. By the end it was enthralling and I couldn't stop watching (I ended up watching the last 6 episodes back to back).

The story got pretty tragic by the end, but I really liked it and thought it ended well, and I would recommend it as well.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #2,080 of 6,444
Just watched The Familiar of Zero over the past couple of days. The premise is that a normal Japanese guy, Saito, from modern day is summoned as a familiar to a different world by a noble magician Louise, the different world resembling the typical Slayers setting with magic, castles, dragons, etc.

Louise treats Saito like crap because the summoning was an undesired result and he's regarded as a peasant, however the two have some underlying feelings for each other despite the situation.

Overall, this series will not make you think and is highly predictable, but it has nice production values and is easy to get into. Louise can be a little overly annoying as well, I realize it's the selfish, difficult personality Geneon was trying to portray, but they could have taken it down a notch
wink.gif

3.5/5

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #2,081 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.P.S. I forgot to mention FLAG and Texhnolyze. I'm not sure about either of these series yet, but judging by the first two episodes of each one, they seem pretty good. I'll do a little description of each one in a few hours.

So that didn't end up happening and for the time being I still haven't gotten past ep 4 of either of those series. I'll post a review of each when I finish them though.

For now, I finally got around to finishing Gunslinger Girl. I enjoyed it I guess, but I think "meh" sums up my opinion of it pretty well. The animation quality was certainly good and it's a pretty original series as far as I can tell. Most of the fights were pretty great.

I really don't seem to have much else to say about it. Um, Henrietta and Rico were a little too much alike, in both appearance and personality. If it weren't for the differences between their handlers I probably would've gotten them confused once in a while. A few of the characters' personalities weren't really defined well enough in general. I think this anime could've definitely benefitted from being a full 26 episodes rather than 13. I can't call it a terrible ending, but it seemed too sudden and almost random. Overall I'd rate the series 6/10 edit: I changed my mind. 7/10. Personally, I was dissapointed.

P.S. Looking over this post, I'm not sure it's written very well, but it's 7AM which I think means I've been up for 40 hours with nothing but an hour-long nap yesterday afternoon.

edit: P.P.S. Have any of you seen Gungrave? What are your opinions of it?

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #2,082 of 6,444
Tried to watch Bludgeoning Angel: Dokuro-Chan a couple days ago. I can easily say, based on the first two episodes, that it is the worst anime I have ever had the displeasure of watching, and I've been watching anime for ~18 years now.

I picked up the Dokuro-Chan set on a whim at a local convention. It was a $19 full series on DVD, so I figured I'd give it a shot... I mean, how bad could it be? :p

The series is basically a magical girl parody, mixed with an attempt at the crazy nonsensical humor of Excel Saga, and the extreme violence of Elfen Lied. The object of Dokuro-chans affection, whatever his name is, is repeatedly gored, choked and brutalized by her for what I'd imagine the makers of the series believed was comedic effect. It ends up feeling awkward and uncomfortable. Mix this with loads of pointless fan-service so the viewer won't realize there isn't much of a story to be had.

About the only thing the series has going for it is crisp visuals, and somehow has a respectable average score of 7 at my MyAnimeList. I must be missing something.

0/5

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #2,084 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried to watch Bludgeoning Angel: Dokuro-Chan a couple days ago. I can easily say, based on the first two episodes, that it is the worst anime I have ever had the displeasure of watching, and I've been watching anime for ~18 years now.

I picked up the Dokuro-Chan set on a whim at a local convention. It was a $19 full series on DVD, so I figured I'd give it a shot... I mean, how bad could it be? :p

The series is basically a magical girl parody, mixed with an attempt at the crazy nonsensical humor of Excel Saga, and the extreme violence of Elfen Lied. The object of Dokuro-chans affection, whatever his name is, is repeatedly gored, choked and brutalized by her for what I'd imagine the makers of the series believed was comedic effect. It ends up feeling awkward and uncomfortable. Mix this with loads of pointless fan-service so the viewer won't realize there isn't much of a story to be had.

About the only thing the series has going for it is crisp visuals, and somehow has a respectable average score of 7 at my MyAnimeList. I must be missing something.

0/5

Man that sounds L-O-U-S-Y !

I'm a bit bored and with time constraints, I don't really want to start an anime that I won't be able to get back to for a week. I've got a lot of interesting looking series ready to go so I hope to have some fun breaking into them shortly!

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #2,085 of 6,444
Had only the last arc of Higurashi [...] Kai to watch, watched it and... that wasn't a very good ending. In fact disregarding the rest of the series it was very very boring and cliche.

5 for first season, 4.5 for 2nd season except last arc, 1.5 for last arc
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back