Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Feb 9, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #2,101 of 6,444
Xam'd: Lost Memories So, I just finished watching this anime and wow, what an amazing show. I first got into watching this because I heard of the comparisons to Eureka Seven, and immediately, from the first episode, you could see a similarities to Eureka Seven.

Animation is absolutely top-notch, which is to be expected of by a studio like BONES. Sound as well is truly amazing, from the opening/ending songs to the music during the final battle. While the characters are not unique or original, they are very well done. Unlike Gundam 00, where it took 26+ episodes before I cared about a single character, each and every character in Xam'd is fascinating to me. The character development was also nearly perfect. Backstory on some characters like Raigyo and Ishu would have been nice but it doesn't detract from the show.

Now, for the story, which seems to be an aspect that you will either love or hate. One of the main complaints that seems to come up regarding the story a lot is the war and why it exists. This is something I see absolutely no reason explaining any further than the show has already done. Unless you live under a rock or don't know anything about history, you would know that wars break out all over the world, and quite often they really lack a reason that justifies it. There are a few other complaints that I won't mention to not spoil the show, but if you do watch this show, don't expect concrete explanations about every little thing that went on. Had BONES added say 3-4 more episodes I feel the story could have been just about perfect. As it is with 26 episodes, there are flaws but the overall plot is good. Spreading the show out to 50+ episodes to explain each event and detail would have made the show needlessly boring.

Overally, I really enjoyed the show and it is easily one of my five favorite animes. It isn't perfect but it still is a must-watch anime to me. 9.8/10

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #2,102 of 6,444
anyone still tracking Gundam 00? looks like the final battle is about to happen, but the resistance force through out the world are getting weaker.
I got a feeling that more people are going to die at the season finale compare to season 1

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #2,103 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Bounen no Xamdou is finished. I felt like I wasn't quite sure what was going on through most of the series, but I think the last three or so episodes tied everything up really well. 7/10

Also, I finished watching FLAG a while ago. This was a really great anime about a civilian photojournalist who gets stationed on a secret military base centered around secretly developed mechs to document their actions for the future. I almost thought to compare it to Area 88 since the premise is somewhat simliar, but I haven't seen Area 88 in years and I'm not really sure the two series are actually very simliar at all. Anyway the production values were great and the story was touching and action-packed at the same time. 9/10

Also, right now I'm kind of desperate for recommendations. So here's MyAnimeList. Recommendations in any genre are good.

Yeah I watched FLAG recently too and really enjoyed it. It took me a couple episodes to really get a grip on the first-person perspective of it, but it really worked out well for the story, and made the action scenes much more immersive. While they were dropping hints about the ending in the last episode, I was really hoping that wasn't actually going to be the case.
frown.gif

We've got a lot of overlap on our lists, so feel free to browse mine and see if anything looks good to you.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #2,104 of 6,444
Thanks, Fitz. I found a bunch of interesting stuff on your list that I haven't seen. Specifically, Speed Grapher looks really good. I'll have to check it out. I saw a few other series that looked pretty good too and threw them up on my plan to watch, so I should have plenty of recommendations now.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #2,105 of 6,444
I just finished Elfen Lied, and im speechless...

This serie just skyrocketed from just-knowing-it-exists-and-should-watch-someday to the top 3 of my fav anime list, on second place right behind Ruroni Kenshin - Trust & Betrayal/Reminiscence movie/OVA1 serie.

*possible spoilers*

Jesus, this anime had it all I ever want from them. Incredibly dark and disturbing storyline. (the image in my mind of the scene what Mayu went through in her childhood still gives shivers of horror and disgust, and almost tears of empathy. And the scene where those person brats kill the puppy fills me with cold homicidal hate) Also it had fantastic and DEEP characters and STRONG emotions and drama and romance behind it all as little blinks of possible light and hope. Even the intense and almost senseless seeming violence makes sense through the serie, what is going on in the characters mind and why it happens and so on.

Even those "ecchi" things, which I mentioned earlier, make sense now. Its all about the big picture and reflections about the past Kaede/Lucy/Nyu and Kouta shared.

Why it isnt in the first place of my list? Its a couple of episodes too short, but not counting that, my main gripe is ending. I HATE ENDINGS LIKE THAT! I hate assuming in general, and Elfen Lieds ending infuriates me! Part of me knows (and symbolic hints somewhat confirm it) that it was a happy ending, but then there is huge possibility that it is not. And if someone has not already noticed, I pay a huge attention on character emotions and reactions. Just seeing Kouta opening the door and his reaction about who is behind it (and possibility of showing us too) would have made my day... *sigh*

*possible spoilers end*

In any case, this serie finally revived my hope that there are still good anime series out there. I think I received some hints earlier in this thread, but I lost interest shortly after...

So I am asking again, can anyone recommend me some good animes? I like very dark and violent stories with strong characters and strong emotions, tons of melodrama and some romance. (I admit, I'm a sucker for romance when it serves a purpose to bring hope to bleakness and violence that might dominate the serie)
So far, Elfen Lied and Rurouni Kenshin OVA1 has pictured them perfectly. Gundam Seed got it somewhat right though it isnt as dark but its still good serie.

Perhaps I ask too much. Both rurouni kenshin ova1 (1st place on animenfo) and elfen lied (6th place) have been on the top of all-time best animes ever made in many websites that I have seen, so its unlikely I ever find such master pieces again, but I am willing to try.

Speechless... Yeah right.
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #2,106 of 6,444
Great to hear that you liked it, Maza. Elfen Lied is actually what pulled me back into anime two years ago because it completely threw-off the majority of convoluted angsty destroy-the-world titles. It's a series that has real human psychology, from parts that depict repression and PTSD. Furthermore, there are a few symbols that you can spot throughout the show that ties with the characters. If you like EL, then you may want to check out Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. It's not a pseudo sci-fi series like EL, but it deals heavily with consequences of past incidental actions. Very realistic depictions here as well.

If you wish to follow the series (EL), read the manga since the anime stops half-way. However, many says the ending is not so happy for the characters. I have yet to read it myself.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #2,107 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to hear that you liked it, Maza. Elfen Lied is actually what pulled me back into anime two years ago because it completely threw-off the majority of convoluted angsty destroy-the-world titles. It's a series that has real human psychology, from parts that depict repression and PTSD. Furthermore, there are a few symbols that you can spot throughout the show that ties with the characters. If you like EL, then you may want to check out Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. It's not a pseudo sci-fi series like EL, but it deals heavily with consequences of past incidental actions. Very realistic depictions here as well.

If you wish to follow the series (EL), read the manga since the anime stops half-way. However, many says the ending is not so happy for the characters. I have yet to read it myself.

I heard that manga and anime are quite unrelated. They were made around same time and their story branched to different directions so they cannot be compared directly?

This anime?
AnimeNfo.Com : Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien

Seems a bit... Love Hina-esque atleast the harem part.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #2,108 of 6,444
Correct, the ending was anime original, they had to shift some plot pieces earlier to make it work. However, the story is longer in the manga is what I should say.

Also correct, KGNE started as a [c]orn game then it was adapted into a series. Despite the harem outlook (which pretty much is all anime with more than one female casting) it is the anti-thesis of harem. Watch half of it and you'll know what I mean. I recommend this series because both male protagonists from here as well as EL suffer from nice guy syndrome, which creates suffering. In other words, being too nice can be cruel.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #2,110 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am asking again, can anyone recommend me some good animes? I like very dark and violent stories with strong characters and strong emotions, tons of melodrama and some romance.

Seen Gantz yet? Sounds like it might be right up your alley, although be prepared to absolutely hate the main character in the beginning.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #2,111 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seen Gantz yet? Sounds like it might be right up your alley, although be prepared to absolutely hate the main character in the beginning.

Never heard about it. The horror element that animenfo describe seems interesting though. Keep em coming guys!

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #2,112 of 6,444
Quote:

I heard that manga and anime are quite unrelated. They were made around same time and their story branched to different directions so they cannot be compared directly?

Personally, because I read the manga first, I disliked the anime quite a bit. What ruined it for me was how the anime jumped around the manga story. This is also why I don't like gantz (even though the manga is one of my favorites)

also, if you liked death note watch Monster
Monster (TV) - Anime News Network
Monster - MyAnimeList.net

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #2,113 of 6,444
Quote:

Never heard about it. The horror element that animenfo describe seems interesting though. Keep em coming guys!

Yeah, if you liked Elfen Lied you absolutely have to check out Gantz. Both of these series are in my top 10. (Gantz's manga is really good too btw). I'd also recommend Berserk.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #2,114 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, if you liked Elfen Lied you absolutely have to check out Gantz. Both of these series are in my top 10. (Gantz's manga is really good too btw). I'd also recommend Berserk.

oh yeah, forgot about berserk. the anime is pretty good but it unfortunately stops at around volume 11/12 in the manga (currently on volume 33 i think). definitely check out the manga if you like the anime

also, i haven't watched it, but i hear that claymore is very good and similar to berserk.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #2,115 of 6,444
Yeah I wish they had made a second season of Berserk. It ended and I looked for the next episode for a while before realizing it just ends there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back