Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
May 2, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #1,756 of 6,444
sorry if im going of at a tangent here, but why are the naruto shippuden episdes so far apart. i mean i get they are specils, but there have been soo many specials soo close together, its annoying.

May 2, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #1,757 of 6,444
I'm loving the fact that most of the newer animes are being shown in hidef, it's very very nice
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #1,758 of 6,444
This may be stepping on a couple toes, but it seems to be a straight-forward conclusion to me.

Anime seems to cover every genre that comes from film, so it would be expected that there are some that would not be made with a particular audience in mind. Blood and gore is not necessary for most anime, but titles like Black Lagoon are a genre that can benefit from it imho. People aren't watching through the last episode to see an epiphany in character development, they are just looking for some gorgeous breakneck action. Just like if you go to see a Bond film in the theaters, you aren't expecting avant-garde directing, but some conglomeration of the formula that has already been set before it.

One doesn't hold romantic-comedies to the same scales as action films, as they aren't catering to the same audience. Action films may throw in some shallow romance in an attempt to please the cross-section of the people that would appreciate it, but it's not going to cut out the essential action to concentrate too much on it. It doesn't make sense to cast stones because an action movie doesn't satiate your desire for a deep romantic storyline.

I also enjoyed Lain and Witch Hunter Robin (aside from the ending), and have no qualms with having an anime like Angelic Layer in my top 5, which had no more violence than your average Saturday morning cartoon, and was most likely made for the teenage girl demographic. What I'm trying to get at is that it doesn't take violence to make an anime good, but can just be icing on the cake with certain genres. You may enjoy deep character development, but someone else might enjoy action and explosions, and there may be some people that appreciate both. Seems strange to let something like this upset you.

May 3, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #1,759 of 6,444
I suppose I'm an elitist overall. Anime indeed can be as broad as any other medium.. so, I suppose I should have been more global in stating something against a hollow and narrow piece, like, something classified as a single genre such as action. And not necessarily because it is classified as any one thing.

I'm just very picky, and it is a bit bothersome how much anime is out there that caters to audiences who just want to see action and guts, or the anime aimed at young female demographics.

But I haven't really combatted any of the sense you spoke- you are right. I was just expressing my personal dislikes for things that I personally find to be shallow.. more so in relation to the fact that there exist mass consumer bases looking for these things, which sculpts what kind of continued material is released.

All of that aside, here is my list of series I like, and why I like them

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto - I haven't finished this series yet, but was very impressed with the first 13 or so episodes. Very fond of the character design aesthetics, as well as the plot involving the theater troop, and the progressing story. It also has great fight scenes / animation

Basilisk - This series has to be the ultimate in getting your fix of great battle scenes. Absolutely the best. The character design is nice- taking the standard idea of the ninja scrolls, starring warriors with their distinct fighting styles and abilities. I found the pace of it to be very well done, and enjoyed the story line. While the divided factions lovers theme is a bit common, the discipline and 'coldness' exhibited by Genosuke at times is a nice and mature change. The soundtrack(s) are also excellent

Blood+
- This is more on the kiddy side of things for me, and about as far as I'll bend in that direction. I had a little bit of a rough start dealing with Saya's overall immaturity, normality, and most especially (I have a particular distaste for this), the too-common idea that eating lots of food is humorous.

That said- I am very glad I stuck with that series. The characters and plot all began to mature and evolve. Just about every character that ever starred in the show had a distinct persona, and almost all played a real part in things so that there were not just filler characters. There was a brief spurt of pretty nice philosophical depth in episode 17 which sealed things for me.. just that whole episode really turned things on for me. The character designs are damn nice. Haji is probably the single thing to keep me around in the start despite the things that were rubbing me the wrong way. And I continued to thoroughly enjoy Haji through the end of it all. Other characters I grew fond of were, Diva (I was surprised with how much I loved her character), Solomon, The Sif/Schif (saw it written as both in various fansubs). David was a pretty solid character. Kai managed, against all odds, to grow up, and I was pleased.

Overall, it made sense that a series of 50 episodes start off with immaturity and allow things to progress over the span of the series. The extended length really allowed for this kind of thing to happen more-so than would, or even could, in your standard 26 ish episode runs. Overall story-wise, I felt at times that this was as if a well-written fantasy novel, for the fantasy literature genre is where I am familiar with interwoven tales like this, full of intricacies and progression. A+ soundtrack.

Side note - I watched the movie Blood: The Last Vampire (this was supposed to be the original source of inspiration for Blood+) and wow was that terrible. A serious waste of what is still very great production and quality. It was just one empty and boring film. I'd elaborate on just how bad every point was, but, it was all of them, and it's quicker to say that.

Claymore - Great story. Lots of characters. I found this story to be pretty unique.. I could be wrong, due to my inexperience, but, I haven't seen something like this in any sort of medium before, anime included. The nearly all female cast (and, appreciably, they aren't all big-breasted uber gorgeous huge eyed 15 year old boy fodder). The characters all seem to have a very disciplined hardness to them, very mature personas. Just the same, they are not unreasonable ice-hearts who are simply closed to caring. And, despite these similarities, there is a lot of room between them all for their individual personalities.

The story

The fighting and unique styles per individual in this are fabulous, and, unique. Comparable to the idea of specific techniques as in the idea of the ninja scrolls, but, new. Great delivery in the battle scenes / animation. Great soundtrack.

Darker Than Black - Like Blood+, this one can be a little on the immature side of things, for me. But I would consider it more mature, on average, than Blood+.

More unique character designs and concepts for their powers. Character growth was there for all members of the main party- and I enjoyed them, particularly the story of Yin, and, hell, the first Doll (in episode 1 and 2) and the Doll that the orange haired gang leader's brother is involved with. I suppose I just like these concepts of humanity and individualism, choice. And emotion.

Hard to pinpoint things I liked about this one, maybe because it has been a bit since I saw it, but, this one was a pretty solid choice, overall.

Ergo Proxy - Here's a unique one. I've only seen one episode of this. I then went and immediately bought a very nice bootleg (accident I learned from) hard copy of the full series. I was that sold. There's no immaturity here. This series is flat out expression. Set in the not so perfect future, presumably a neo-tokyo, this series inspires thought and is very possibly a reality we will end up heading towards.

Excellent art and animation for everything. Unique palette of colors which definitely suit the work and give it further character. Everything about the work feels very cohesive. Can't wait to sit down and fall into this one fully from start to finish.

Ghost In The Shell (any)
- I've only seen random episodes of the stand alone complex series, but, very nice. A series with depth, front-line graphics and animation. Good story.

I am a long-running fan of Yoko Kanno, and her work here is superb as usual. Again, I have a lot of personal taste for the setting and themes involved in this work. I am set to purchase the full series, and already would have, were the price not a bit steep for my liking, compared to other series I'm interested in that can be obtained for much cheaper.

Hellsing - Haven't seen but the first few episodes here as well. I was drawn to the maturity and the pretty.. hmm.. what words to use. Psychotic isn't quite right. Just dark and amused.. maybe hysterical, main character. And, I am a sucker for vampires. Still, as you can see, I'm not about to jump into run of the mill stuff just because it has vampires or something. Can't say much for story and depth, or much at all. It sealed itself as something I want to watch all of, and soon will be.

Lain: Serial Experiments
- Been a while since I watched this.. have the series in my closet, will rewatch sometime soon. Loved it. Very unique series. Has a 'slow' pace that allows for lots of room for your own thoughts and observation, which, imo, deepen the experience. Also allows for the eerie feelings throughout the series to really seep in more and become a constant.

Suicide is a pretty mature aspect to have throughout an anime series, and I was glad for that. The whole ordeal of Lain interfacing so fully with the internet, also, was very much enjoyed by myself, as myself/ my life is very comparable to that. It's interesting.

Noir
- You're probably tired of hearing me talk about these series I haven't seen the entirety of by now. Here's another. I feel like I have some quality observationa nd critique for these despite my limited experience with them, so, it's worth it. And I've full intentions of completing any of these that I have not yet.

Noir has some great unique aspects to it. The shooting and the colors at times just make this one a real treat. The music is excellent as well. The action is pretty nice as well, especially when it taps into that distinct flavor of shooting that this series brings. Lot of character.

Witch Hunter Robin - I find this series most comparable to Lain: Serial Experiments in that it shares that very 'slow' pace with lots of eerie feel to it. Loved the music here. The characters, especially the star, all seemed pretty vacant of character. Yet I wasn't very put off by that. The stories are pretty interesting to follow.

Movies-

Akira
- Overall, according \to my tastes, the film isn't so great. Why does it make my list? It is still a pretty unique presentation. The saving grace, for me, was how much they pushed for serious depth by the very end of the film. Had it not been for that, I'd have been quite letdown. That said, some parts of the soundtrack were pretty likable as well. I could list complaints with lots of things, but, this film is worth the watch, and I don't want to cloud that by not presenting an enticing ratio of good to negative.

Vampire Hunter D - A+ animation for something so old. I saw Bloodlust first, and had no idea this existed. Going back, the age didn't bother me much. I was glad for more of the Vampire Hunter D story, and, it's nice to see such prowess being exhibited in something so old.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
- This is the first piece of anime I ever saw. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's not even soaking with depth. But my god is it gorgeous. Beautiful art, stunning animation. Certainly no immature characters. I like the characters, and wished they'd have gone more into them. D, of course, is who we get the most of. I love his quiet and confident, unerring demeanor. You could see him as a stone, but, he does what he does for a reason, and, his own inner turmoils are proof of his own set of values/morality. I admire his character, most especially over his remarks of others having a choice for living a normal life and being happy, compared to his self. I both sympathize and relate to that reality for his character. Spectacular film- if you're already into anime and haven't yet seen this, you're really missing out.

I'm only just getting started.. I have a large list of other things to check out... currently I'm doing Code Geass

If anyone has any suggestions based off of the evident inner-workings of my tastes.. feel free
smily_headphones1.gif
Another common theme in many of these was the fight of good against evil.. and things pertaining to revolution, most especially when pitted against some form of 'the system'

May 3, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #1,760 of 6,444
Luminette, great run thru of a few good anime series!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just very picky, and it is a bit bothersome how much anime is out there that caters to audiences who just want to see action and guts, or the anime aimed at young female demographics.

But I haven't really combatted any of the sense you spoke- you are right. I was just expressing my personal dislikes for things that I personally find to be shallow.. more so in relation to the fact that there exist mass consumer bases looking for these things, which sculpts what kind of continued material is released.

Part of the reason for this is because those markets are rather large in Japan. That being said, some days I enjoy a simple anime
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #1,761 of 6,444
Quote:

I never cease to be disappointed by people liking anime for it's action, violence, and "gore". Like these are necessarily good features.

This is actually one of the reasons my sister watches some of the anime that she does. She doesn't particularly care for gore-fest movies or violence oriented movies, but she loves the way it's portrayed in some anime, like Hellsing and Elfen Leid. I never once expected either of these two series to be favorites of my sister who prefers anime like Fruits Basket, Sailor Moon and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, but something about the violent tendencies of the characters in those anime seems to appeal to her in a way that violence as it is shown in, say Battle Royale, doesn't.

May 3, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #1,762 of 6,444
I will agree with you on these points; I do not watch anything purely for violence and gore.

But for specific genres, such as over-the-top action series (like Black Lagoon) or certain types of horror (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni springs to mind, it's a very important element of telling the story.

Your example of serial experiments lain and Noir, as well as many of the other series you are interested in shows you are partial to slower-paced stories heavy on character development and introspection. Both of these series are heavy in these areas.

I've personally been a huge fan of psychological thrillers and mystery, such as the aforementioned Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (the Jacob's Ladder influences are strong!), as well as shows such as Monster and Shion no Ou.

I also quite enjoy heavily stylized action stories reminiscent of movies like Reservoir Dogs--Black Lagoon and Baccano! fall into this category. Gunslinger Girl fits into this category even though the story is primarily focused on character development and interaction there is a fair amount of killer lolis.

I used to be a big, big fan of magical-girl shows years ago, but I outgrew that phase. Until I happened upon Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. If you like magical-girl stories you might not want to watch Nanoha. It will make you hate all other magical-girl stories because it's the only one I've seen that scales up the "girl superhero" factor and drastically scales down the slice-of-life filler most of these types of series are bogged down with. It is seriously the most hardcore magical-girl show ever made. Nanoha spawned a bastardization of the phrase "mahou-shoujo" meaning "demonic cannon girl" rather than "magical girl."

Quote:

I never cease to be disappointed by people liking anime for it's action, violence, and "gore". Like these are necessarily good features. I do like a good handful of anime largely because of what it offers in that arena, but it's still only a single aspect among a large handful of reasons to love various things. First and foremost, I like depth. Music is a great point. The sheer involvement of a story can earn my approval as well. Just the same, I'm also partial to 'slow-paced' series like Lain SE and Witch Hunter Robin. I find that they leave a lot of room open to bring the series to life of your own will.. assuming you have the patience and thoughtfulness

I gotta jet for work, I'll come post my list of approved-ofs and the reasons why for each one when I get home

May 3, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #1,763 of 6,444
Quote:

Side note - I watched the movie Blood: The Last Vampire (this was supposed to be the original source of inspiration for Blood+) and wow was that terrible. A serious waste of what is still very great production and quality. It was just one empty and boring film. I'd elaborate on just how bad every point was, but, it was all of them, and it's quicker to say that.

I agreed with pretty much your whole post. I like pretty much the same series, and am quite picky. But I had to quote this. That movie was a big let down. The best part of that movie was the trailers, hyped it up pretty well.

I felt that Basilisk got kind of weird after the 16th ep (just in the field fighting after that). Onmyouza ( or onmyo-za), the band that did the opening, has some pretty good songs. Darker than Black is one of my top picks in recent years. Also watching Geass right now.

May 3, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #1,764 of 6,444
Well said HiGHFyin9, we all have vastly different views on what constitutes "good" let alone enjoyable. With anime as a whole often being attacked as unrefined and lacking class, being an elitist about it and discounting others' views on anime is silly if you think about it. I am probably just as picky as you Luminette, if not more; it is just that those speicific shows you mentioned had no appeal to me, except Lain.

As far as I am concerned, it is not that I started searching for show with tons of gore and landed with Daughters of Mnemosyne; rather, violence does fit in pretty well with its self-proclaimed classification as a "hardboiled action anime" classification. The whole reason why noted Blassreiter is gory, is that it could be a major turnoff for some, not for faint of heart. I dont really have a thing for gore, nor does it bother me so much. School Days wouldnt have been discussed half as much had it been for the brutal ending, for good or bad. What I do lament, is shows that needed to be watered down to look inncuous, often resulting in a butchered plot and imageries from the original. I would be quite annoyed if they had to delete a scene every time someone gets hurt
redface.gif

May 3, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #1,765 of 6,444
When I hear about School Days all I can think of is:

[size=medium]Nice boat.[/size]

May 4, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #1,766 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said HiGHFyin9, we all have vastly different views on what constitutes "good" let alone enjoyable. With anime as a whole often being attacked as unrefined and lacking class, being an elitist about it and discounting others' views on anime is silly if you think about it. I am probably just as picky as you Luminette, if not more; it is just that those speicific shows you mentioned had no appeal to me, except Lain.

I may be a little too far on the other side. I'll watch just about anything and try to appreciate it's good points, even if they are few and far between. Unless, of course, it's pure torture and I'm at the point where I can't take any more.

I was recently at the store with a couple of friends and was quickly perusing the anime section, and noticed a bargain box set containing 3 DVDs for $25 called Princess Princess. I was too distracted to examine the box too closely, but it wouldn't be much of a loss if it wasn't very good. Once I was home and popped in the DVD, I realized I made a grave mistake. Princess Princess fell into the boys love category, which I generally try and avoid. However, at this point I had already opened it, so I went ahead and watched it, and it really wasn't that bad... or offensive... and thank god not graphic
wink.gif

I figure the more open-minded my viewing habits are, the more I'll appreciate different types of anime, and the more likely I'll be able to find a good series that I may have avoided previously. Although I most likely won't be seeking out another boys love anime, I feel like I'd be able to sit through one with a friend without prejudice, which counts for something I suppose.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #1,767 of 6,444
Well, I managed to finish a good chunk of my backed-up anime, so I thought I'd just resurrect this thread and bring up my opinions on them:

Adventure's Of Mini Goddess:
I had to try this series, if only because Ah My Goddess still is one of my favorite series and I much preferred the older animation style in the OVA and Movie compared to the new TV series. If you like Ah My Goddess and want to see Skuld and Urd's hijinks around the house, this is a great series to watch, but if you don't care about AMG or have never watched it, this isn't going to be for you. Certainly is an entertaining way to blow 5-7 minutes here or there. 4/5 if you like the background series, 3/5 if you feel 'meh' about the original series but still like it enough.

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne: Off the bat, I'm going to admit that the first real magic girl anime I was ever introduced to was Sailor Moon, and I immediately disliked it. I more or less had a blanket ban on magical girl anime after that which I only broke about a couple of years ago when someone recommended I try Pretear. I enjoyed it and after that, I've been trying other magical girl anime like Card Captor Sakura. I was a bit apprehensive about this title, because the plot primarily focuses on a girl who channels the spirit of Jeanne d'Arc and uses the spirit to battle demons that hide in art and 'beautiful things' around the world. I figured it would get old quickly, but I was surprised by how well it managed to hold my attention. The animation is starting to show some age at it is very similar stylistically with Sailor Moon, but more vibrant use of color, but that's really the only complaint I have about it. 4/5

Nadia-The Secret Of Blue Water
: I wish I had tried this series earlier! I love how it re-interprets 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and incorporates the Atlantis myth and space Sci-Fi all at the same time. Right from the beginning, you clearly see that Gainax was at work on this series. I couldn't find anything major to complain about here. Heck, even the goofy villains from the beginning of the series become fully fleshed-out characters as opposed to remaining as tangential comic relief. 4.5/5

Shinesman: I wouldn't be surprised if no one has heard of this series. I heard about it in an ADV trailer almost 7 years ago, and never gave it a thought, until I found the series posted on you-tube. First off, its only 2 30 minute OVA episodes (the series unfortunately got cancelled afterward). Second, most of the places I've found it online have the English Dub only, which will turn off a good handful of people; however the dub works rather well. Third is the fact that the series spoofs Power-Rangers style superhero groups, and does it really well, but that may also turn off some people. This series has got to be watched. My sister instantly dismissed it when she heard the first and third points I made above, but walked in about 5 minutes into the show, and didn't get up at all. 3.8-4 /5

Uta Kata: MikoLayer, I have to thank you for your previous recommendation of this series a few pages back. I loved it. IMO, it was a fresh take on Magical Girl anime and it never really stayed too angsty, too sad or too happy through the series. Emotions changed through the series, characters faced problems and grievances, some of which don't get resolved happily and characters developed through the series. All in all, it felt more down to earth than a lot of magical girl anime tend to and I really enjoyed that about the series. Plus the artwork focusing on the Djinn that the main character Ichika was channeling in the episodes were stellar. 5/5

Up next on my list to finish are:
Clannad
Death Note
Now And Then, Here And There
Tsubasa Chronicles
You're Under Arrest-Full Throttle
(The original series is the first anime that really got me hooked on anime in general)
Shrine Of The Morning Mist (This anime has been looming over my head for a long time now, and I think it's probably going to keep looming)

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #1,768 of 6,444
Glad you liked it, I found it rather surprising that the show failed to generate enough attention it deserved, or so it seemed to me, when most of those who watched agreed that the show was nothing short of amazing. Someone at a local anime forum I used to visit put up a very insightful post about how you could draw parallel to various mythologies and such. Dunno, maybe thats reading a bit too much into it, but that writeup made so much sense and almost made me wanna translate that into english under the author's permission. To say the least, Gotou Keiji has a real talent in telling a tale with deep, engaging philosophical ideas in the most effortless, convincing way. Then he manages to wrap it up with some innocuous panchira shots, brilliant!
biggrin.gif
In all seriousness, I like the shows that can incorporate moe elements without being too upfront and deliberate about it and avoid dirupting the atmosphere, so to speak.

You know, time again I feel that most shows I feel strongly feel about have a track or two at the very minimum that make my favorites list. Uta-kata unmistakably packs some of the most gorgeous BGMs I heard in any anime series.

Now that you mention it, I too, need to watch Nadia one of these days... Too swamped with newer stuff though
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #1,769 of 6,444
Here's what I watched:

Druaga no To the Aegis of Uruk

Here's what I'm watching:
Soul Eater
RD Sennou Chosa****su
Macross Frontier
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Special A
Zettai Karen Children
Gurren Lagann Parallel Works

Here's what I'm looking forward to in the summer anime line up:
Blade of the Immortal
Slayers Revolution
Sekirei
Zero no Tsukaima ~Princesses no Rondo~
魔法遣いに大切なこと ~夏のソラ~ (Someday’s Dreamers)

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #1,770 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardcoreckn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what I watched:

Druaga no To the Aegis of Uruk

Here's what I'm watching:
Soul Eater
RD Sennou Chosa****su
Macross Frontier
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Special A
Zettai Karen Children
Gurren Lagann Parallel Works

Here's what I'm looking forward to in the summer anime line up:
Blade of the Immortal
Slayers Revolution
Sekirei
Zero no Tsukaima ~Princesses no Rondo~
魔法遣いに大切なこと ~夏のソラ~ (Someday’s Dreamers)

So we have Druaga and RD in common. RD IMO was just like many other less well known shows that never get immensely popular, though you as the audience really appreciate the effort that goes into it.

A whole freakin year is a too long of a wait! Just going by the way things ended up in the last episode, it felt a bit rushed. Still my most favorite show from April, and eps#5 in particular was the bomb with the Coopa trap and Roper dance and all
biggrin.gif

Definitely will be watching Someday's Dreamers and Slayers Revolution. No love for the Hidamari sequel though?
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back