Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Jul 7, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #1,786 of 6,444
The latest episode of Code GEASS R2 is one of their best episodes.
frown.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #1,788 of 6,444
Just watched Emma - A Victorian Romance. It's a series of 12 episodes about a member of the gentry, William Jones, who who falls in love with a maid, and the hardships they endure due to the differences between the classes. As William's family stops at nothing to dissuade him from the romance, it comes off a little bit like Romeo & Juliet with all the external tribulations preventing the couple from realizing their love. Of course both William and Emma both have a central character that provides them with encouragement when the going gets tough.

It's a classic romance that seems to stray from the cliches that abound in typical anime, mostly because of the style and the setting. The series takes place in 19th century Victorian London and seems to be quite accurate in it's portrayal. You also won't find any green or blue hair here, many of the colors of the people and the setting are subdued with shades of tan and brown.

Emma took a couple of episodes to draw me in, but I was hooked after that. I found the historical context of the setting to be pretty intriguing, and mostly I just wanted to find out what happens between William and Emma and if they can overcome their obstacles.

I did have a little bit of difficulty finding something to like about Emma, she was a little too reserved and bland to warrant the attention that William gave her. The most interesting character, Hakim, could probably stand to have a little more scene time to liven up the series a bit. Animation is good, but nothing to write home about. As there really isn't any action going on here, there isn't much need for dynamic pans and ultra-fluid movement. DVDs are in subs only, which is perfectly fine with me as I always watch subs anyway, but it could pose a problem for dub fans. Finally, [SPOILER ALERT] the ending leaves a bit to be desired, I suppose they were paving way for the second series, but I didn't find it too satisfying after investing the time to watch the series. [/SPOILER]

Overall I'd say 3.5/5.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #1,789 of 6,444
Watching darker than black at the moment, up to ep 14. BEST EPISODE OF THE SERIES SO FAR

I heard the OST before watching the anime, but listening to Yin no Piano being played with the accompanying scenes in the anime completely transformed my appreciation of the song.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #1,793 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by erasmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just finished aria the animation

man, that was some ridiculously feel-good anime

you sure know what you are talking about
biggrin.gif

one of the best franchise with splendid music - head-fiers should check it out for the blissful music alone, or just buy the OSTs without questioning
smily_headphones1.gif

while at it, try hidamari sketch / x365 (sequel) if you havnt. you wont be dissapointed.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #1,794 of 6,444
been watching these lately

Mon
World Destruction
Mission-E

Tue
Real Drive
Koihime Musou

Wed
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora
Ikkitousen Great Guardians (fanservice galore, but I kinda like it
tongue.gif
)
Slayers Revolution

Thu
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
Alison & Lilia
Candy Boy
to love ru
Hidamari Sketch x365

Fri
Golgo13

Sat
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki
Blassreiter
Yakushiji Ryouko No Kaiki Jikenbo
Nijyu Mensou no Musume

Sun
Wagaya no Oinari-sama

Havnt got a chance to see Strike Witches and Mugen-no-Jyunin, real behind on Zettai Karen. Some barely ok shows, some decent. Strong favorites remain Hidamari and Blassreiter, koihime is actually fun to watch imo, a FOTW for me now.

Hats off to ufotable for creating a masterpiece in Kara no Kyoukai, a.k.a. The Garden of Sinners. They have always been good to me with some of my all time favorites - dokkoida, shinobuden, futakoi alt. and manabi. If anyone would ever make a show based on Hollow Ataraxia or a renewal of Tsukihime, these people better be the ones to take up the task
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #1,795 of 6,444
Has anyone watched the Freedom OVA series by Otomo Katsuhiro (Akira, Steamboy)? I keep passing by it at my local Tsutaya and have been very curious about it since they started airing these Nissin cup-o-noodle TV spots in 2006. I'm just wondering if anyone's seen it and if it's worth a watch? My time has been pretty limited these days and I need to be pretty selective about what I pickup.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #1,796 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watching darker than black at the moment, up to ep 14. BEST EPISODE OF THE SERIES SO FAR

I heard the OST before watching the anime, but listening to Yin no Piano being played with the accompanying scenes in the anime completely transformed my appreciation of the song.

Darker than Black is pure awesome.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #1,798 of 6,444
Not I, I'm a wee bit far away from there. ^_^

JAM Project is going to be performing? Cool! Not a heck of a lot of guests posted though. Unless they're like SakuraCon and they post 'em all at the last minute.

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #1,799 of 6,444
I was at Anime North this year, and was at Otakuthon two weekends ago, and going to Fanexpo in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back